IGNORED

What gets you motivated to exercise?

jshots
Note: This thread is 3766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by joekelly

Yea, i enjoy sex too much to lose body control. We gotta have good peripheral arteries to pump it up and that takes a strong heart and minimal plaque buildup in the big arteries. So less red meat, no butter fat, less alcohol, more cardio and more yoga.

Alot of what you said has been proven false...

1) Correlation does mean causality

Saturated Fats do not cause heart disease. There has been slight correlations over time, but even those who don't eat red meat, still get heard disease as well. Actually animal fats are good for you. What has been found out more is that the ratio to Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids are what lead to heart disease. Meaning, more fish is preferable. What causes heart disease more is stress from being overweight. You can get fat eating no red meat and no butter, just as easy as eating them. Constant years of working your heart overboard because you carry more weight will put a strain on any muscle. Recent studies have shown that saturated fats don't have a direct causality to heart failure. Believe me, i cook eggs with butter every morning, eat red meat ever week. I am slightly over weight, but i am active, and my blood pressure is 120/80. Just had it checked this past week.

What gets you is, the palatibility. Its combining fats and sweet carbs, which makes things taste very very good. eat a spoon of sugar, it doesn't taste to good, overly sweet. Eat a tablespoon of butter, yuck. Mix the two together, in the form of a sugar cookie, taste damn good.

If you want to stay healthy, kick added sugars. Sugars trigger your brain similar to cocaine. The same regions light up. A neurologist study this out on the west coast. So when you have sugar, your training yourself to enjoy it. Then you can't kick the habit, and you will eat more of it. Ever try to give up pop (soda), its tough, you can literally feel the cravings for sugar.

So, basically its over consumption of food through psychological manipulation. Basically eat fresh foods, don't worry about butter or red meats, if you eat 80% of your meals that are fresh, clean, not carbo loaded, you'll be fine.

If not then all those people who have gone on the paleo diets would be running to their cardiologist, there not

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I fall on the other side of the spectrum of most. I've always been naturally thin so I workout to actually put on some size. Equally frustrating being on this side because it can be very difficult to put on significant weight and size.

Also, its a tough transition but I'm proud to be one of the few people my age (25) to say that I'm in the gym at 530 AM 5 days a week before I head into manhattan for work. Morning workouts really are one of the best ways to start the day.

Ah, Saevel25, you are a natural comic. Even if a Scarlet and Gray Buckeye. If you think that there is no relationship between fatty red meat consumption and heart disease, you have been misinformed, seriously. Better get back to the books, my boy.

Ah, Saevel25, you are a natural comic. Even if a Scarlet and Gray Buckeye. If you think that there is no relationship between fatty red meat consumption and heart disease, you have been misinformed, seriously. Better get back to the books, my boy.

"You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little ****ed up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to ****in' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?"

The answer is, its not one thing. There are tons of people who eat a lot of meat, including red meat. They are healthy fit people. Why no heart disease there?

Heart is a muscle, you don't exercise it, you loose it. Studies have found that even if your overweight (not obese), if you exercise regularly, your chance for heart disease is just slightly above that of a healthy weight person. If you don't exercise, your rate for heart disease is much higher. This tells me one thing, activity level is much more of an indicator of heart disease than food.

Its also just more than red meat. There is more evidence now pointing that its the ratio to Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids than just red meat. Cause let me ask you this, what type of fat is in red meat? Saturated Fats, animal fats. Ok, what type of fat is in chicken, same saturated fats. Whats the type of fat in pork, saturated fats. So let me ask you, why hasn't there been an outcry for people to stop eating chicken, pork, other land based animals? Why just red meat? This is because in the past they all harped about red meat, and it stuck. Its a myth, they still have proved how saturated fats give you heart disease. They still cant. They are just assuming that a trend makes the cause, which it doesn't.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Essential fats and proteins?  Not quite. I have no precise data at hand but i would think the only essential fats are those found in breast milk for the infant brain development.  Beyond 2 years of age probably no such thing as 'essential fat'. Essential meaning cannot be replaced by any alternative. Since folks round the world live healthy lives and some never eat animal fats (except noted above), and we cannot avoid lipids found in plants i would think that plant fats would be OK. But not essential as animal fats would also be OK.  As far as proteins, certainly no essential proteins. Essential amino acids, of course. But these are not the same. Sure all proteins made of amino acids but not all aa found in every protein. It's the particular aa that are essential, not the proteins.

Essential fats and proteins?  Not quite. I have no precise data at hand but i would think the only essential fats are those found in breast milk for the infant brain development.  Beyond 2 years of age probably no such thing as 'essential fat'. Essential meaning cannot be replaced by any alternative. Since folks round the world live healthy lives and some never eat animal fats (except noted above), and we cannot avoid lipids found in plants i would think that plant fats would be OK. But not essential as animal fats would also be OK.  As far as proteins, certainly no essential proteins. Essential amino acids, of course. But these are not the same. Sure all proteins made of amino acids but not all aa found in every protein. It's the particular aa that are essential, not the proteins.

Actually not. It was found that Lactose intolerance is a genetic trait common to humans. Its just recently that more and more people are developing a gene that doesn't include lactose intolerance. Meaning, breast milk is actually not essential. Its essential to an infants growth, and has shown signs of being good for the mental development of an infant, that bonding connection. But breast milk is just milk, its just optimized for human consumption during those early developmental stages. So basically it contains, wait for it, SATURATED FATS, Carbohydrates in the form of Lactose, and protein. So your assertion that breast milk is any more special with regards to fats is just off.

Yes, and there are cultures that have lived thousands of years on high protein, animal meat diets as well.

Well here's the thing, if amino acids are essential, then so are protein. Because that's were you get them from. Animal protein, and eggs are the only source of foods that offer 100% all the essential amino acids.

Yes plant fat is ok, as long as its from nuts. Vegetable oils are particularly not good for people. If you want good oils, stick with nuts oils, olive oils, grapeseed oil, these are all much better than vegetable oil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturated_fat#Cardiovascular_disease

If you go to the section with all the studies listed. You can see how many mixed opinions there are on saturated fats. Many see a slight change in cardiovascular disease, one says 14% less chance, but mortality rate is still the same, so they all die around the same age, wow, big there.

What people are finding is, that its the ratio to Omega 3 and Omega 6, primarily how many Omega 3 fatty acids your taking in that is more important. Basically if your Omega 6 outweights your Omega 3, then your in trouble. Western diets have ratios from 10:1 up to 30:1.

Grass fed animals have naturally more Omega 3. This is showing that the modern way of raising beef, chicken, pork is wrong. That feeding them corn grains is a detriment to human diet because its not a natural way they usually feed. These animals are grazers. Cows will eat grass primarily as there diet, and other leafy greens found in nature. Taking this away, and throwing corn based diet forces the cows to gain fat faster, but also produces fat that has a poor ratio.

This is why more studies need to be done than just to claim, "saturated fats are bad". Given that fish, fatty fish mostly have very good ratios of Omega 6:3. People should eat more lean meats, and specifically fish, there just better for you. But to claim that red meat is bad is false. Its not bad if its properly raised and eaten in combination with a good lifestyle, including regular exercise.

Also, Bacon is awesome, so there ;)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• 3 months later...

I believe you need to have goals to stay active, something to drive and work for. Before this summer I was lost for 2 years as far as exercise goes, had nothing to work for after stopping my sport. Picked up golf and now I know what to work for, got goals that I want to achieve. If I told those goals to someone they'd say I'm insane, but those are mine and I will work my ass off to get there.

You know those people who buy the gym membership every fall but quit after 1 month? I believe they have set goals to look good and for most people that isn't enough to keep them motivated, unless you plan to compete in bodybuilding. Before starting I think everyone should ask themself what they want from life and then start training towards it. It can be something simple, 100kg squat, one arm pullup or just simply being able to keep up with grandchildren; speaking of which this video is amazing:

That guy started to workout at age of 55, if I'm alive and healthy at 64 I want to be like him, doing stuff most youngsters only dream of. Proves that age card to be invalid.

“Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.” Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr

The last few posts are so true. I lost weight even though I eat bacon and red meat. Lost about 20 pounds. The last 18 I wanted to lose just don't want to come off, but my goal of reduced blood pressure was attained red meat and all. Cholesterol is also low, because of all the golf balls I hit most of my muscles get worked and consume it. My dad started piano, roller blading, archery and writing books at 62. He even started some Kung fu at 70! He's not as strong as the "super-grandpa" but surely as active. You really do get old by quitting playing, and not the other way around.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 3766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!