IGNORED

My Drive

Note: This thread is 4299 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've always had a pretty bad slice with my driver. Today I hit a couple balls with my buddy who is a scratch golfer. 1 ball to be exact. I drove an old noodle ball into the river pry about 240 yards with a slice. He popped his trunk, pulled out his R11 and smacked a beautiful shot with some draw on it about 3/4 across the river. I was very humbled to say the least, although watching his shot was awesome. He said to keep my right elbow in (im RH) during my swing to prevent slicing. I tried it at the range and all my drives went straight when doing so but it felt really awkward through contact and I seemed to lose a lot of power. Do you keep your elbow in through contact or just on the downswing?

Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5* S driver
Nike VR-S 3W
Cobra AMP Cell 3H
Callaway Big Bertha 3-10i, 50* W
Ping M/B 56* W
Ping M/B 60* W
Odyssey Black Series #8 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Having the correct wrist hinge in your takeaway should tuck your right elbow in automatically.

• Upvote 1

909 D2 10.5* Aldila NVS Reg 65g

Baffler T-Rail 16*

R7 19*

Fli-Hi 21*

FP 5-PW

52* 56* 60* Vokey Spin Milled

Flat Stick

Note: This thread is 4299 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• TST Partners

TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    ShotScope
    The Stack System
    FlightScope Mevo
    Direct: Mevo, Mevo+, and Pro Package.

Coupon Codes (save 10-15%): "IACAS" for Mevo/Stack, "IACASPLUS" for Mevo+/Pro Package, and "THESANDTRAP" for ShotScope.
  • Popular Now

• It’s going to change but your basic setup feel should be about the same. Your body kind of adjusts to length and lie angle of the club. You’ll want to pay attention more to ball position as you change clubs more than how bent over you are. I understood what you meant from what your wrote.
    • Oh I probably was thinking the wrong thing or the wrong way when I typed the golf swing was more of a body swing (in my mind).  The in my mind part probably should have said in my opinion or based on what I have read.  Just meant the body needs to be involved more than the hands and swinging the arms while the core remains still.
    • The answer to this question is a very small change in impact can cause a BIG impact in direction. This is with the driver, but its similar with the irons... How much does an open or closed clubface affect your drives? | RoboTest Want to hit more fairways? The latest edition of GOLF's RoboTest highlights the importance of driver face angle. For a driver, 1 degree of clubface open or shut causes 10 yards of left or right. When you think the rate of closure for a golf club, how fast the club face goes from open (top of the golf swing) to square (at impact), 1 degree is a small quantity.  This means, when you are looking at video of your swing, you can see the exact same swing, but present the clubface in two widely separate positions. More so if you have swing faults. You can make the same backswing, but not get your weight forward well and hit a fat shot. You then react to this, try not to fat it so you thin it. Maybe the timing is off on the extension part of the downswing and you thin it slightly. Also, certain swing movements cause the wrists to flip at impact. The intent is still to hit the ball with the club. So your hands are going to adjust to find the ball. The more they have to adjust, the more difficult it is to repeat. Nope, it is way less mental than physical. If we could all think our way to a better swing, we would all be PGA tour players.  #GOLF IS HARD!  Beginners have repeatable swings, just bad repeatable swing. We all just need to make repeatable better swings.  The golf swing is a battle of making movements that allow the club to do good things. You results are from a bad swing that has a wider range of outcomes. Your outcomes are probably the following. Way more thins, fats, skulls than most. You hardly see PGA Tour players fat, skull or thin a shot.  The first principle of golf is FEEL IS NOT REAL. Meaning, we can feel things in the golf swing, yet it produces results or shows on video as something else.  You just set up to the ball. The club has a different length, so you need to adjust. For most your arms extend more out as you have a longer club. You also bend over less for longer clubs. It is just something you get used to. If you make a fist and stick your thumb out. You want that width from the butt end of the club and your belt buckle. Now, if you taller or shorter than most, then you may need to adjust the length of your clubs.    
    • At address? I think so. Downswing and through? IDK. I doubt if a whole lot of golfers, if any at all, deliberately think "I have a 9-iron so I need to bend half an inch more through the downswing compared to my 8 iron". 
    • Wordle 1,054 X/6 ⬜⬜🟩⬜⬜ ⬜⬜🟩⬜⬜ ⬜⬜🟩🟨⬜ 🟨⬜🟩⬜⬜ ⬜⬜🟩⬜🟩 ⬜⬜🟩🟨🟩 My third failure..

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...