IGNORED

trouble concentrating on score

luggage
Note: This thread is 4265 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I sincerely apologize for being so sensitive regarding the input to my memory question.  But it has always plagued me since I was in my 30's and 40's.  I always wrote it off to obsessing on my total score.  I realize this is not a healthy way to approach the game and I just need to figure out a way to not let the focusing on my score interfere with my shot making.  I have enough challenges to make a good swing without adding anything.  This is why when I was playing, more times than not I simply would not record a sore (maybe I felt that what I didn't know didn't hurt my game). ha ha.   But most folks think that if someone reports an incorrect score they are cheating and I fully understand that and I have experienced that with others people reporting  their scores even though I would simply say I don't keep my score (just an excuse).  I simply have to find a way to be able to do both before I play again.  Again I do appreciate your input of something mostly unique to me>  Keep it in the short grass.

I'm not totally sure that I follow, but if you're trying not to pay attention to your score because doing so hurts your game, then that's another story.

Personally, I stopped using phone apps to keep my score because they automatically calculate the score and focusing on shooting a particular score was detrimental to my performance.  Now I write down my scores but purposely don't add them up.  I'll still have a general idea of where I am, but I don't focus on the number.  Its not easy though.

You've still gotta count the score on each hole though.  Just don't do it by sitting over your approach shot thinking, "I'm lying 2, and need to hit this close to get par."  Play the hole, then count.  Or count as you're walk/driving to your ball.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am a 21 hcp and don't have this problem anymore. I used to stand on the green and look like I was conducting an orchestra trying to count my strokes and my playing partners would laugh. Now that I shoot in the 90's (and the occasional mid-high 80's), I can remember each shot from the day before. It will become easier the more you play the game.

Don't worry so much. I often forget. Or at least used to. I recommend, before you address the ball, say 'Hitting__' to yourself. Or even out loud, if you want, and your playing partners don't hear/don't mind. Mine don't.

To keep this from messing you up mentally/emotionally, don't think about how the number you are hitting relates to par. Make it as automatic and natural, and mindless as any other part of your physical pre-shot routine. Of course the thoughts about par and birdies will creep in when you have opportunities for them, but there is literally no way to be totally oblivious to a chance for par or birdie, anyway.

If you note/say what shot you are hitting out loud before each shot, you really can't forget.

If you are struggling to remember your score, this will work.

Good feedback and I'll try to apply when I get back out on the course.  I really think that I on scoring well (which is important) but failed to realize that as a weekend golfer (when I was playing) I need to relax and enjoy the experience for what it is rather holding myself to a standard that was a little unrealistic.

I agree with enjoying it. I am also a weekender, with a real high handicap, so take my advice for what it's worth. I always use the technique I mentioned above, and I rarely have a problem remembering anymore.

Hit em' straight!

I need to do this too on occasion, but since I've been trying to keep track of my stats I rarely don't know where I am standing scorewise on a hole.  My thought process is usually: after the drive... am I going for GIR,? did I make GIR? do I need to get up and down for par? a chip and a putt? once on the green....  this put is for birdie, par, bogie, double, etc, but when I'm standing over any shot I know my score and what I need to do with it. Only when I have the blow up holes like if I chunk the second shot, then chunk the third, then hit into a bunker, etc. I will need to replay in my head what exactly happened.

There's a guy I play with that tracks ALL of his stats. Nothing wrong with it, but I don't see how he keeps his head in the game (or maybe I'm just feeble). I can go back after the round and remember any stat I care about (which is none, really). I mean, I know where my miss is, and my percentages (GIR's, fairways, et al) don't change my score. The parts of my game that need the most work are evident...aren't they to everybody? I guess I'm saying that I don't understand the obsession with many of the stats that people keep. Maybe someone can illuminate me.

In The Bag: - Patience - Persistence - Perseverance - Platitudes

Note: This thread is 4265 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!