• Announcements

• iacas

GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Contest   09/22/2016

Join our GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Challenge to win an autographed GAME GOLF, a Pebble Steel watch, and many more great prizes!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ZeroTaylor

seeking shaft advice

6 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, I'm going to be reshafting my irons after my next tournament and was wanting some advice. I am currently playing Mizuno MP-14's with S300's which has been my shaft of choice since 2000. I plan on going with what I know and having new S300's put in the heads and some new grips put on them after the come back from getting re grooved and plated.

HOWEVER I was playing TaylorMade rac MB irons before I returned to mizuno this season that have Rifle 6.0 shafts in them that are pretty much brand new. I have been considering just swapping heads on those shafts and getting new grips but my concern is that with my mp-14's matched with the S300's I can easily work the ball high, low, left, and right and I always struggled to work the ball with the rac MB's on the 6.0's. I don't want to pull the 6.0's from the TM heads if thats a characteristics of those shafts though so I was wondering if the difference could be in the shafts or if it would be a head issue (club or human)

Thanks

ZT

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

What are wishing will be different by replacing the S300's? Why get new S300's to replace the old ones?

Best way to test Rifle vs S300 would be to pull one shaft and see what you think.

rusty, the reason for replacing is simply due to age and fatigue. That's what I had planned to do with my 6 iron I just dont hit my 6 very often that it needs it as my 6 iron cracked at the hozel and the one I ordered is minus 1 inch on it's current shaft

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

Best way to test Rifle vs S300 would be to pull one shaft and see what you think.

Brilliant!

Originally Posted by ZeroTaylor

rusty, the reason for replacing is simply due to age and fatigue. That's what I had planned to do with my 6 iron I just dont hit my 6 very often that it needs it as my 6 iron cracked at the hozel and the one I ordered is minus 1 inch on it's current shaft

I think it was this forum (maybe that other one since I can't find it in a search here) where there was discussion that steel shafts do not really age unless abused or neglected.

I like RRC's idea of testing the S300 vs. the PX 6.0 shafts. See if you can find a demonstrator MB 6i or 7i. Reshaft it with the S300 and see how the two compare side-by-side. Do launch monitor, physical observation, etc.

The difference in the dynamics of the two shafts:

S300 PX 6.0 Rifle
Weight (grams) 130 120
FCM (flex comparison) 5.8 6.5
Kickpoint High Med-High
Tip Firm Med-Firm

Basically, the S300 is heavier, has a lower launch and a firmer tip.

The PX 6.0 Rifle has a slightly softer tip, slightly higher launch, and is more than half a flex stiffer . Also, the rifle dynamic gives the ball a little extra lift on launch, but the flight tends to flatten out once airborne (that's the "penetrating flight" the marketing guys sometimes talk about).

For more details, check out the True Temper website: http://www.truetemper.com/golf/

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades