IGNORED

TPC Myrtle Beach

Note: This thread is 4353 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So, some buddies and I started making annual golfing/hanging out trips to Litchfield, Pawley's Island in South Carolina 2 years ago.  I, of course, was especially looking forward to this year's trip since I missed last years.  One of the guys has in-laws that own a condo on Pawley's Island, and they allow us to stay in it for free for one week of our choosing each year (we just pay for food, golfing & other incidentals).  I of course have to pay air-fare coming from California, which sucks.  Everybody else is in the midwest, east coast or south east.

Anyway, my buddy just sent me the course reservations, and it turns out we are playing TPC Myrtle.  I was a bit shocked because I assumed that since is bears the "TPC" moniker, it must be a high profile course.  So, what is it's reputation?  Anybody familiar with it and have some tips, suggestions or advice?  I'm REALLY stoked now.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I've played there for a couple times, and although it's still labeled a "TPC" course, it's not up to standard with others that I played.

It's an enjoyable round though, and not a bad course, though it's not in my "must play" list for Myrtle Beach anymore.  The course is decent, but not what you'd expect from a "TPC".  The animals on the course are very fun though.  The first hole we played, the largest crow I've ever seen got into our cart and ripped his pack of cheese crackers to shreds.  Later on in the round, I got to ride about 150 yards with a huge fox squirrel in the cart with me, just enjoying the ride.  Another fox squirrel tore my wallet, phone towel and a sleeve of golf balls out of the cubby in the cart to get to an unopened Powerbar under everything.  They know where people keep the good stuff.

I was also tee'ing off and a playing partner yelled at me "Watch out for that Gator!!!!!".  I laughed at him, hit my shot and then turned around and there was a 12-14ft Alligator who had joined me on the tee box.

Lots of entertainment, a fun round, but the course wasn't near as nice as others we've played down there, even though it carries the "TPC" name.  I will play Thistle, Caledonia, True Blue or World Tour ahead of TPC.

Originally Posted by Bullitt5339

I was also tee'ing off and a playing partner yelled at me "Watch out for that Gator!!!!!".  I laughed at him, hit my shot and then turned around and there was a 12-14ft Alligator who had joined me on the tee box.

Okay, I've decided I'm not going.

I question whether MBTPC course could compete with the other great courses down there if it weren't for the TPC affiliation. They'd definitiely have to lowere their prices. Maybe they have, I haven't been there in 10 years.

When I was there the alligator wasn't quite 12 ft and apparently he'd been eating regularly because he didn't seem to care that we were there. Just laid on the bank of one of the lakes and worked on his tan. Fox squirrels were pretty timid and the crow just yakked at us from afar. Not sure if it's the same gator, same crow, or same squirrels but I'm still pretty sure the course sucks when compared to other TPC courses I've played.

Hitting near gators gets you a very generous free drop no closer to the hole and obviously not closer to the gator. Have a great time.

Regards,

Big Wave

Golf is the only sport in which a thorough knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship - Patrick Campbell.

I would put the TPC in the top 20% of courses on the beach. that being said it would be towards the lower part of that group. certainly worth playing, year after year the greens are some of the faster ones in MB and to me that is important.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

As far as the course was concerned, I thought it was very good.  I don't know the exact price to pay because I paid for a package of tee times to my buddy who organized the trip.  I believe it was somewhere in the $100 range.  I hated having to start on #10 which requires an iron off the tee because of the water in play.  I never like having to start with an iron tee shot.  Other than that, most things were positive.

The course is nice and picturesque on several holes.  #18 is particularly beautiful from the fairway looking in at the island green framed by the clubhouse behind it.  The greens were fast and firm, although a couple of them had some beat up/dead patches.  The course plays pretty difficult with a lot of water in play on several holes, and trees lining the fairways.  There is some nice architecture to look at, and I even thought that hole #4 or #5 was pretty cool.  It was a long, straight and uphill par 4 with a gray brick house directly behind the green.

I'd still say that Willbrook Plantation (which we've played each of the past three years) is almost on par with the course and is probably significantly cheaper, so given the choice of value-per-round, I'd probably play Willbrook.  But TPC Myrtle is definitely worth checking out.  Plus it had a much cuter cart girl.

Note: This thread is 4353 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!