IGNORED

Could it be possible to forge 1005 Carbon Steel?

golfdu
Note: This thread is 4125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've done some research on carbon steel, and how their softness is graded on the SAE scale (such as 0.25% carbon = 1025 carbon steel, or 0.20% carbon = 1020 carbon steel) and how the material can be affected through various forging processes (Endo, Miura, etc.).

Could it be possible to forge an EXTREMELY low carbon steel, like 1005 (the lowest)? And which process is the best forging process over any JDM, OEM forging process?

Frankie

Since I'm a machinist ill give this a try.

Every club is made in China.(I think) I dont know what OEM, and JDM mean in terms of club manufacturing, I think this is what your getting at. OEM ( original equipment manufacturer), and JDM ( Japanese domestic market) I dont know what that has to do with club making.

1020 carbon steel is soft ( that's why forged clubs get dinged up easy in the bag), so yes,  you can forge softer steel like 1000 carbon steel ( if it exists) but why? Such low carbon count in could allow for more impurities in the steel, possibly decreasing the quality of the product, and one wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two, and if they did. Possible problems with grooves wearing extremely fast, and also face the possibility of the lie/loft going out of wack every few rounds. I'm guessing ALL the big club makers would have done this by now if it made any sort of a significant difference.

Hope that makes some sense.

Yeah, my concern with 1005 steel would be it's strength. I know for knives, 1005 isn't the most popular because it won't hold and edge for long.

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!