• Announcements

• iacas

GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Contest   09/22/2016

Join our GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Challenge to win an autographed GAME GOLF, a Pebble Steel watch, and many more great prizes!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
clearwaterms

looking for an easy course in Austin near 6th street

9 posts in this topic

I am going to be heading down to Austin over super bowl weekend for a weekend getaway and I am looking for a "resort" like golf course near where I am staying.  I won't be renting a car, so something in the area near my hotel (I am staying at the Marriott Courtyard near the convention center)

I am hoping to bring my sticks with me, but depending on travel might have to rent, so some place that rents clubs would be helpful.

Lastly, something that is in the $75 or less for green's fee and cart costs (would gladly walk as well)

so lets recap:

I want a course that is close by, cheap, easy but fun, and available for a single on a weekend.  If the place had female caddies that look like supermodels dressed in school girl uniforms that would be a bonus.  ;)

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I should add that a cab ride is fine, but since I am alone.  If the perfect course is a little further away, I might rent a car for the day just to save a few bucks.

Jimmy Clay [URL=http://austintexas.gov/department/jimmy-clay-golf-course]http://austintexas.gov/department/jimmy-clay-golf-course[/URL] Roy Kizer [URL=http://austintexas.gov/department/roy-kizer-golf-course]http://austintexas.gov/department/roy-kizer-golf-course[/URL] Can't go wrong with either--they are next door to each other, I believe sharing the same clubhouse.

those look perfect, do you know if they have a driving range / warm up area?

Yes, good driving range/practice facilities at Jimmy Clay/Roy Kizer.

Lions municipal is the closest to downtown, and it's my favorite of the Austin munis.  You can easily get a cab there and back (probably about $10).  It's a small, old-style city course, short but tight with some really fun shots.  Greens are typically very good.  I think it's around $30 to walk on the weekends.  Weekend walk-on at an Austin muni is never easy, but as a single you should be able to get out within an hour.

If you're going to rent clubs, however, I'd go ahead and rent a car as well.  You're not going to find decent rental sticks at any of the muni courses near downtown.  Tons of great golf options within a 30 minute drive, though.

BTW what you describe above doesn't exist:  a "resort" course near downtown that's cheap, easy, and fun.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by k-troop

Lions municipal is the closest to downtown, and it's my favorite of the Austin munis.  You can easily get a cab there and back (probably about $10).  It's a small, old-style city course, short but tight with some really fun shots.  Greens are typically very good.  I think it's around $30 to walk on the weekends.  Weekend walk-on at an Austin muni is never easy, but as a single you should be able to get out within an hour.

If you're going to rent clubs, however, I'd go ahead and rent a car as well.  You're not going to find decent rental sticks at any of the muni courses near downtown.  Tons of great golf options within a 30 minute drive, though.

BTW what you describe above doesn't exist:  a "resort" course near downtown that's cheap, easy, and fun.

Sorry, when a meant a "resort" course I wanted something that wasn't terribly difficult.  I have not played in over 4 months so I didn't want a 6800 yard course that had really tight fairways, I was looking for an easier muni course that would still be fun.  FYI - cheap in Chicago golf is anything under $50 a round with a cart, and I would gladly pay upwards of $60 or $70 for the right course.  $30 to walk is AWESOME.

Does Lions have a practice facility (driving range?)

*Update*

I ended up playing Lions Municipal on Saturday morning.  The course was in "good" shape.  I enjoyed the course very much.

I shot a 44/52 for a 96. Score wise I was quite disappointed.  I was 5 over after the 8th hole, but took a triple bogey on 9 and just couldn't recover on the back side.  I felt comfortable with my ball striking, but poor wedge play from 100~50 yards just killed my ability to score.

Either way, first full round since October, no complaints.

Originally Posted by clearwaterms

*Update*

I ended up playing Lions Municipal on Saturday morning.  The course was in "good" shape.  I enjoyed the course very much.

I shot a 44/52 for a 96. Score wise I was quite disappointed.  I was 5 over after the 8th hole, but took a triple bogey on 9 and just couldn't recover on the back side.  I felt comfortable with my ball striking, but poor wedge play from 100~50 yards just killed my ability to score.

Either way, first full round since October, no complaints.

Lions is near my Corporate HQ...  Right off Mopac. Good fun short course...