IGNORED

Suggestions for setting up my golf bag in 2013.....

Note: This thread is 4104 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Make sure you test out the 2H before you buy it. Back in 2011, I went to a golf demo day which featured new hybrids. Both the Callaway and Adams reps cautioned against using a 2H unless you had really good clubhead speed. The 16* average loft didn't get out of the rough very well without it.  Note that 2Hs normally come only in the Pro or Tour hybrid models.

A 5W usually comes in a 18* or 19* loft. It has a longer shaft than comparable Hs, but sometimes comes out of the rough better.

You might do an acid test: consider whether a 5W + 4H might work better than a 2H + 3H. I carry both a 4i and a 4H. My 4H has 1 degree stronger loft and a longer shaft than my 4i, and goes about 10-15 yds. farther. Test out the different combos, if possible, and see which mix works best.

Here's a thread from the past which talks about the 2H:

http://thesandtrap.com/t/54388/hybrids-fairway-woods-or-a-combination#post_662634

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by WUTiger

Make sure you test out the 2H before you buy it. Back in 2011, I went to a golf demo day which featured new hybrids. Both the Callaway and Adams reps cautioned against using a 2H unless you had really good clubhead speed. The 16* average loft didn't get out of the rough very well without it.  Note that 2Hs normally come only in the Pro or Tour hybrid models.

A 5W usually comes in a 18* or 19* loft. It has a longer shaft than comparable Hs, but sometimes comes out of the rough better.

You might do an acid test: consider whether a 5W + 4H might work better than a 2H + 3H. I carry both a 4i and a 4H. My 4H has 1 degree stronger loft and a longer shaft than my 4i, and goes about 10-15 yds. farther. Test out the different combos, if possible, and see which mix works best.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/54388/hybrids-fairway-woods-or-a-combination#post_662634

That makes perfect sense. I don't have a problem with the clubhead speed so it didn't occur to me, but that's definitely something to consider before buying anything.

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

I thought hybrids were supposed to be long iron replacements. My 2h has 19º and there's still quite a gap to the 3 iron. A 15 or 16 degree 2h is dumb, IMO, or at least poorly named. What's the logic for replacing a 3w, other than keeping the golf industry afloat?

Originally Posted by WUTiger

Thanks for the heads up.  The 2H that I ordered is 16 degrees.  This may seem strong but I play with a strong 3W that is only 13.5 degrees.  My swing speed is 101mph I found out, thus the stiff shafts are likely the best fit.

I really like my 3W alot and will end up using it a few times per round off the tee on shorter par 4's and will also use it several times during the round on long par 5's that I am going for if I am in the fairway with a decent lie.

I'm actually not going to be using the 3H or the 4H that I previously had in the bag.  I do not hit them as far as I should and I believe that it is because they have regular flex shafts (I bought these clubs when I first started golfing and was not very good).  I needed something to fill in the gap between what I could hit my 3W and what I can hit my new 4 iron.  That's why I purchased the 16 degree 2H......I agree that there may be situations where I cannot use it in the rough as I might have done with my 3H or 4H, but the reality is that those times that I cannot use it but could have used the 3H/4H are likely not going to be that many.  Also I will have a 4i in my bag now whereas I before my longest iron was just a 5......There may also be times where I can use the 2H off the tee....probably not a lot because if I am not using a driver then usually I would use the 3W, but who knows, there may be times where the 2H is a better option than the 3W and if that's the case then I'll use it.

The 2H that I ordered is also adjustable and will allow me to tinker with the loft and face angle.  This is a luxury that my 3W does not have and my old 3H and 4H did not have either.

I was able to get distances of my new irons the other night at Golftec.  Granted it was one sesson and it was indoors with perfect lies, it still gave me a look at what the ranges will be:

Driver:  240 plus

3W:      225+ off the tee, 220ish off the deck

2H:       unknown as it has not arrived, I am thinking that this will cover the gap between 4i and 3W though

4i:         195 was the max that I hit according to the data at Golftec, I also just started hitting it and only hit it about 5 times

5i:         185 was the max I hit at Golftec, again new irons and I only hit about 5 times

6i:         170 max

7i:         165 max

8i:         153 max

9i:         145 max

PW:      134 max

AW:      121 max

Well I received my new driver and new hybrid last night and because mother natured blessed the DC area with temps in the 60's yesterday, I was able to go to the range after work and hit balls.

I like the driver alot.  The shorter shaft makes such a difference for me.  Even when I gripped down on the shaft of my Burner Superfast 2.0 driver it was just not right and too long.  At 46.5" I just had too much trouble with it.  The R11s TP driver shaft is almost an inch shorter and it makes a world of difference.  It also sounded much better imo.  The Superfast 2.0 driver was almost obnoxiously loud.  I basically knew what I was getting with this new driver though and thus the reason I purchased it.

I did not completely know what I was getting when I purchased the Taylormade R11 TP 2H Rescue.  What I liked about the club before I hit it or owned it was the shape of the face on it compared to the hybrids that I was used to hitting (TM Superlaunch).  It seems that the face is "flatter" and more condusive for a better ball strike.  Anyways I was surprised at how heavy/solid the club was initially.  After a while of hitting balls with it I was shocked at the distance that I was hitting it.  Granted it was off a range mat I was hitting it almost as far as my 3W and in some cases further!  The shorter shaft of it compared to the 3W allows me to turn through the ball better and I was pleasantly surprised to see a straight to slight draw ball flight with the 2H versus the moderate to strong fade that I was getting with the 3W.

I like my 3W (TM Burner Supefast 2.0 TP, 13.5 loft) but because I basically cannot hit a draw with it, I find that I end up short sometimes when wind is a factor.  With being able to hit a slight draw with the 2H I am hoping that this will help the ball pierce through the wind when it's an issue.

I'm pretty sure that I will be using the 4 wedge set up.  Every club in my bag is new to the bag for 2013.  It's a weird feeling being "tapped out" in the sense that I cannot buy any other club that will potentially improve my game.  It's all on me now, no excuses at all for the clubs!

Thanks for everyone's feedback on my bag set up.  It shapes up like this:

Driver:         Taylormade R11s TP, 10.5

3W:             Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 TP, 13.5

2H:              Taylormade R11 TP Rescue, 16.0

4i - AW:       Taylormade Tour Preferred CB, 4i loft is 20, AW is 51

SW & LW:    55 loft on SW, 58 or 60 depending on which LW I use

Putter:         Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Ball:            That's my next issue, finding a ball to consistently play in 2013.  I have been going back and forth between Srixon Q-Star and Bridgestone E6.

Note: This thread is 4104 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!