IGNORED

Ping G10s vs more recent sets

Note: This thread is 4025 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all,

Been lurking here for a while, finally decided to join to ask this:

At my FLGS, which deals in preowned and trade-ins, sits a set of Ping G10 irons with steel shafts, 4-PW. They've obviously been used but are in very good shape; they don't even need regripping. $240. I took the 6 to the indoor range and hit a few; very easy to swing, gave me just under the 150 yards I'd expect from a 6, and just a slight push (which is all player, and I was able to straighten it out with some ball address changes). Every review I can find says that these irons were a very good choice... in 2009. Newer than my current "Sunday bag" of Callaway Big Bertha knockoffs, but I wonder if maybe I'm leaving some genuinely helpful tech on the table by buying nearly 5 years old.

The reason I started looking again is that Golfsmith posted their e-mail ad for slashed prices on older model years of the TM Burner series GI irons, specifically the Burner Plus ($300) and Burner 2.0 ($400). I didn't get to demo either of these, but I did take an R11 6-iron for a spin... and *hated* it. I realize that's not an accurate comparison; the R11's a high-end "workable" set intended for people with actual ball-striking skill, while the Burners are GIs intended for... well, players like me, but it's still a bit of a stigma for the lower-end iron sets to overcome. I do have a Burner driver, 3w and "Heated" 4h (Burner knockoff), so I think TaylorMade makes some good stuff for me in this line, but I just dunno...

So, I guess the question for the gallery is, would the Ping G10 iron set be a good buy today for a high handicapper? Or, have there been any quantum leaps in GI club design between 2009 and now, and I should keep looking for a new set (or at least a newer used set)? I'm aware of the 2010 regulation changes that will *eventually* make these G10s non-conforming for the casual golfer, but that's 10 years down the road, and I don't plan on playing any elite tournaments in the meantime.

I believe that you can still buy Ping G15 clubs new (you can at the very least buy Ping G20's)

The value (IMHO) of ping is that they have a fantastic fitting system.  So unless you have been fit for Pings before and know your color code and shaft length, it is best (IMHO) to consider looking at the oldest ping club that you can still buy new and consider getting fit.

That being said, if you are still struggling to get consistent contact, I would suggest spending the money instead of on clubs on a few lessons instead.  You will likely find that your clubs (as with even the best golfers) are often times not the limiting factor in a persons game.

Likely as you continue to improve, you will start to groove a swing and once you have that swing set you will be able to determine which clubs are right for you.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

Originally Posted by clearwaterms

I believe that you can still buy Ping G15 clubs new (you can at the very least buy Ping G20's)

The value (IMHO) of ping is that they have a fantastic fitting system.  So unless you have been fit for Pings before and know your color code and shaft length, it is best (IMHO) to consider looking at the oldest ping club that you can still buy new and consider getting fit.

That being said, if you are still struggling to get consistent contact, I would suggest spending the money instead of on clubs on a few lessons instead.  You will likely find that your clubs (as with even the best golfers) are often times not the limiting factor in a persons game.

Likely as you continue to improve, you will start to groove a swing and once you have that swing set you will be able to determine which clubs are right for you.

Good points. Perhaps it would be prudent to say that this would be my first full set of irons; the "Sunday bag" I currently play with is odd lofts only, and I find sometimes I miss having that 6 or 8, which to me means that it's time to invest in a full set. The long irons in the set I have are also graphite shafted (UST Comp 75; nothing fancy), and compared to steel-shafted demo clubs in the store I find it doesn't gain me any distance, so I'd rather have steel, for as much consistency as I can get.

I have spent some time and money on lessons, and my ball striking and flight path are much better than when I started playing (which is also when I got these irons fitted to me). So, I feel that a new full set of irons that I can continue to improve with is in order.

I will take a second look at the dot color now that I know what they mean. According to Ping's basic fitting tool, I'm right on the cusp between black and blue (so one step further upright), and between standard shaft length and an extra 1/4". These felt good, but pushed, which may mean they were a little flat, or it may just be the Indian and not the arrow (like I said, they straightened out by moving the ball an inch or two forward).

Let's assume, for a minute, that the G10s ended up being a perfect fit (or could get that way with a minor tweak; Ping's own docs say the G10s can be adjusted up to five colors from their starting color). Good buy at $240, or would you still recommend looking for newer even if that means more money?

Get the Ping fitting and see if the G10s match. If not you could send them to Ping for adjustment but that will cost you at least the shipping. You wouldn't have to pay too much more for new Pings though with no extra charge if they have to be assembled at Ping.

:tmade: SLDRs 14* driver, 17* fairway, 19* and 22* hybrids | :odyssey: Versa White #1 putter

:nike: XR Pro 24*, 27*, 31*, 35.5*, 40*, 45*, 50* irons | :vokey: SM4 54*, 58* wedges

One thing to consider is how much clubhead speed you have. If you have moderate clubhead speed, the Ping G10's super-friendly perimeter weighted head, plus a high-launch shaft may cause your short irons to balloon. Not much fun on a windy day.

I tried the G10 a couple of years ago, and ended going with the Callaway X20. Both had the UGI head, but the X20 had a stock Uniflex shaft with a middle kickpoint. It had medium launch rather than ballooning like the G10s did.

Just something to consider.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If I were you I would check out the Burner 1.0 irons and the Burner plus(I use 1.0). They are both great iron sets and are extremely forgiving.

Driver: :tmade: Burner '08 10.5* 3 wood: :tmade: Rocketballz 15* 3 hybrid: :tmade: Burner Superlaunch 18* 4 hybrid: :tmade: Rescue 11 21* Irons: :tmade: Burner 1.0 5-AW Wedges: :vokey: Spin Milled 54* :cleve: CG16 58* Putter: :odyssey: 2 Ball Blade Grips: Golf Pride VDR white Balls: :titleist: Velocity Bag: :tmade: Audi bag

Note: This thread is 4025 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!