IGNORED

Resiliency... Spring Chicken No More!

CR McDivot
Note: This thread is 4006 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Surviving 60 years of less than sedentary life has taught me at least one thing... It is much easier for the young buck to recover from minor overexertion than I.

Case in point...

I have been introducing my grand kids to the joys of equestrian interaction. They have responded with enthusiasm and some bit of patience (as has my older Appy gelding).

This last week, Daniel (the gelding) showed some consternation at the grand children's mixed cues, and quit on them. After the children left I decided not to let Daniel think he was getting away with something, and to reinforce the correct cues, took the kids saddle off and climbed up bareback. Daniel responded well and after about 20 minutes of light exercise I put him away.

Next morning my lower back is really tight. Bareback riding requires balance to source from thighs, pelvis, and hips... can be stressful on the lower back if you are not regularly riding this way.

Went to the driving range anyway, and took three times as long to limber back up and swing with a bit of comfort.

Moral - We ain't near as elastic and resilient as we used to be. Deal with it. Try not to overexert any muscle group... our muscle mass is not building it's fading. Work every day on stretching and flexibility.

Don't give up... adapt!

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

Originally Posted by CR McDivot

Surviving 60 years of less than sedentary life has taught me at least one thing... It is much easier for the young buck to recover from minor overexertion than I.

Case in point...

I have been introducing my grand kids to the joys of equestrian interaction. They have responded with enthusiasm and some bit of patience (as has my older Appy gelding).

This last week, Daniel (the gelding) showed some consternation at the grand children's mixed cues, and quit on them. After the children left I decided not to let Daniel think he was getting away with something, and to reinforce the correct cues, took the kids saddle off and climbed up bareback. Daniel responded well and after about 20 minutes of light exercise I put him away.

Next morning my lower back is really tight. Bareback riding requires balance to source from thighs, pelvis, and hips... can be stressful on the lower back if you are not regularly riding this way.

Went to the driving range anyway, and took three times as long to limber back up and swing with a bit of comfort.

Moral - We ain't near as elastic and resilient as we used to be. Deal with it. Try not to overexert any muscle group... our muscle mass is not building it's fading. Work every day on stretching and flexibility.

Don't give up... adapt!

I'll never give up.  I've developed psoriatic arthritis over the past 12 years, slightly controlled by medication (apparently I'm not as fortunate as Phil Mickelson in how my body is dealing with the issue) but giving up isn't a choice.  I could medicate to deal with the pain (and I do sometimes have to take opiates on top of my anti-inflammatories, but never more than the minimum required to let me walk or swing a club) but only on my absolute worst days off will I even consider not picking up a club.  I get to the range or to the course every chance that I get and no matter how much I loosen up I know that I'm going to hurt, so I just accept it and move on.  Your advice to not give up but to adapt is exactly right.  I'm never going to just curl up and wallow in self pity but to do the best that my body lets me do every time out.

Note: This thread is 4006 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!