IGNORED

Best Bucket I've Ever Hit

David Hillman
Note: This thread is 6127 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I rarely, if ever, go to the range. Normally, I'd much rather get in a quick nine at my neighborhood par 3 than hit a bucket. When I do go, it's usually with my wife so I'm not concentrating on my game.

She bought me a TaylorMade Burner 3-wood for our anniversary and I played it for the first time Sunday evening. I haven't even carried a 3 in more than 10 years, so I had a lot of trouble adapting. I decided I needed to actually practice with it ;) Also, I haven't hit my driver straight in a couple years, except for a brief time last summer.

So I hit the range last night at 9, and only took those two clubs. Hit the first third with the driver, and just concentrated on getting my hands through, and I hit it great. Striped every one with the fade that I haven't yet really tried to tackle. Switched to the 3, and hit the first one dead straight but sky-high. Checked the club face, and had a strong imprint right at the top, and noticed I even chipped the paint on the top edge. I always tee the ball low, and have to search the range for the lowest tee, but even that was too high for the 3. I hit the rest of the bucket off the mat with the 3, and striped 'em. I even played around with my grip, which is usually disastrous. I found that by strengthening my grip, in fact rolling my right hand all the way under so that my palm faces up, I actually killed the fade and hit the 3 dead straight.

I was even noticing things I'd never noticed before, like the effect of moving my right foot back a couple inches, and to my surprise, I can actually see the club head and some of the shaft out of the corner of my left eye at the top. I didn't think I went that far anymore.

Anyway, it was good. Maybe I'll hit the range more often, 'specially since I hit the whole bucket in only 20 minutes ;)

"Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course - the distance between your ears." - Bobby Jones

In my Ping Hoofer Extreme...
Triumph TC-100 1 iron
TaylorMade R7 Quad 10.5* and 15* BurnerTriumph 3-PW, TaylorMade 2Pinnacle GoldsA no-name blade handed down to me from my father, and to him...

I feel the same way about the range. Our local range is pretty nice, I guess. Somehow they rank driving ranges and this one was on the top 100 list. What makes it a top 100, who knows... who cares. But to get to the point, it's 11 dollars for a large bucket. I'd rather spend a little more and play 9 holes or whatever I can get in before it gets dark at my local track.

I'd be a range hound if I was a member at a club who had a grass range. There's really only one grass range around here and its nothing to write home about. I think mats are a complete waste of time.

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

I feel the same way about the range. Our local range is pretty nice, I guess. Somehow they rank driving ranges and this one was on the top 100 list. What makes it a top 100, who knows... who cares. But to get to the point, it's 11 dollars for a large bucket. I'd rather spend a little more and play 9 holes or whatever I can get in before it gets dark at my local track.

agreed with the mats. i hate em. if i do end up at a range with mats and no grass tees, i'll just go off to the side and hit out of the rough with my irons. then just implant a tee of mine into the mat for my driver.

In my stand Bag:

R7 Superquad 10.5* Fujikura REAX 65-S
Hi-Bore XLS 19* Hybrid Dynamic Gold S300
MP-60 4 thru PW Dynamic Gold S300 .588 REG 54* SW Vokey 58* LWSTX Greeny IV putter

My local range has grass tees but they're only open on weekends. That's kind of dumb in my opinion, since I hate mats too. The only good thing I like is that they have a second floor and I like hitting from the top because it just feels cooler. I still don't go very often simply because I like playing better.

In my Essex Stand Bag:
3 Wood: F/Speed - Aldila S Graphite Shaft
Hybrid: Halo 3i 22° - R Graphite Shaft
Wedges: Glass Bead - Lob Wedge - 60°Putter: Tour Collection MX400 (LOVE IT!)Ball: HX-Tour 56 - Pro-V1XHome Courses: Stone Mountain Golf Course (73.5/134)

Funnily enough, every single course near my house (probably about 10 within 20 minutes driving time) has grass ranges.
"The general knowledge in the United States about Australia is low. Everybody thinks we ride kangaroos to school. You don't ever take a kangaroo to school. You take them to the supermarket because you can put groceries in the pouch. "

- Stuart Appleby

In The Bag:Driver - 9.5° XTD Pro Graphite...

when its grass tees for the day, there is no grass left, its all divots and it is so hard to hit off, so at the range i cannot hit off grass, I love the mats.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

the driving range near my house, McGolf in Dedham, MA was ranked as a top 100 driving range. about 4-5 years ago an investment group offered the owners 30 million for the range and they were turned away. It's such a profit machine, 11 for a large bucket and 7 for a regular. Very little overhead cost, maintaining the facility and the electricity to run the large lights. Labor... easy, they employ 3-4 adults who "run" the range and a number of minumum wage 15 year olds.

The only downfall of this facility is that they lack a grass section. The range is very large, consisting of two sections. I don't understand why they turn one side, or even a small section, into a members only grass range. I would definately be interested in spending 600 or whatever for unlimited range and bunker access.

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

The majority of driving ranges near me are grass and well kept (they move the line in order for sections to regrow). My favorite range replaces their balls every year or so, a bushel of 135 is $10, they have a tricky par-3 9-hole that is kept in good shape ($9 walk, $12 includes a cart), and they have punch cards that get you freebies every ten purchases. Competition is good for the consumer!

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

the driving range near my house, McGolf in Dedham, MA was ranked as a top 100 driving range. about 4-5 years ago an investment group offered the owners 30 million for the range and they were turned away. It's such a profit machine, 11 for a large bucket and 7 for a regular. Very little overhead cost, maintaining the facility and the electricity to run the large lights. Labor... easy, they employ 3-4 adults who "run" the range and a number of minumum wage 15 year olds.

Do you really think the business model for a range is that great? I'm betting the $30M was for the land, so they could build townhouses on it, or a strip mall.

Let's say they have 50 stalls and about 15 acres, which is an estimate of the range I was at last night. With every stall full they can gross up to $350/hour at $7/bucket. That's not bad, but I've never seen more than 20 people hitting there, and I drive by a lot. If they average 2/3rds of that, which they don't, it's ~$100/hour, or about $1000/day gross. Plus they have grass tees for $10/bucket, but hardly anyone uses them. Maybe they get $100/day. Expenses: 1 manager, 2-3 staff, figure $40/hour total. Electic bill to run the lights, etc. Upkeep, 15 acres to mow/trim plus equipment ( $300+/week ). Gas for the ball cart. Range balls. Liability insurance which is probably crazy. That's got to eat up $1100 pretty quick. Labor at $40/hr will be almost half that for a full day. Maybe your range is different, but I'd have grabbed the $30M and run ;)

"Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course - the distance between your ears." - Bobby Jones

In my Ping Hoofer Extreme...
Triumph TC-100 1 iron
TaylorMade R7 Quad 10.5* and 15* BurnerTriumph 3-PW, TaylorMade 2Pinnacle GoldsA no-name blade handed down to me from my father, and to him...

Note: This thread is 6127 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!