IGNORED

Which would you rather do first if you haven't done any.. Hole in one or shoot even par?

jaysquared
Note:Β This thread is 3914 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

1. 1. Which would you rather do first if you haven't done any?

• Hole in one
    • Shoot even par

I must be easy to please, I am off about 15 and don't think I will ever really get an even par round or a hole in one.

I would be over the moon to have a round where every hole I was 6ft or less on my approach shot. This gives me a chance for birdies and I would hope I got a par round. Sometime I would give anything for being on the green in regulation on all 18 holes

:powerblt:Β Air force one complete set

:powerblt:Β TPS Putter

:oakley:Β Shirts

:footjoy:Β shoes

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

This is funny because it's so true.Β Β Apologies for mentioning bowling again,Β but it seems pretty comparable to me ... I have a co-worker who has a 300 game, with a plaque on the wall here and everything.Β  Everybody here thinks he's the best bowler around even though his average is around 180, AND he even managed to roll a 139 on that same night.Β  By contrast, my average has been over 200 for 4 straight seasons, but, hey "Have you ever bowled a 300?Β  No?Β  Well then, you suck."Β  End of story. ;)

LOL, no you wouldn't.Β  You'll be bitter about it because you missed a 4' putt on the last hole to finish UNDER par.Β  And, you flubbed a chip on an earlier hole, and if you just would have got up and down there and made that putt on 18, you'd have shot a 69!Β  No matter how good a round goes, it could have always been better.Β  "If only ... "

Originally Posted by David in FL

Ain't that the truth!

Of course, you NEVER factor in the 40 foot snake and the chip inΒ that you made.......of course, those are gonna go in every time!

Originally Posted by Fourputt

It is truth. Β I don't think that anyone has ever finished a round of golf, no matter how well he played, where he couldn't point to a stroke or two left out on the course.

I ever tell you guys about the time I shot a 77 with a double on the par 5 thirteenth? Β If not for that bad tee shot I would have definitely birdied and shot a 74. Β Maybe even eagle for a 73. Β Come to think of it, I may have even...

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

It is truth. Β I don't think that anyone has ever finished a round of golf, no matter how well he played, where he couldn't point to a stroke or two left out on the course.

I ever tell you guys about the time I shot a 77 with a double on the par 5 thirteenth? Β If not for that bad tee shot I would have definitely birdied and shot a 74. Β Maybe even eagle for a 73. Β Come to think of it, I may have even...

I shot a 74 with a triple bogey on 18. Β All I needed was a bogie for even par... Β still waiting.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've had a hole in one and I'd trade it in a minute for being able to shoot even par. An ace is just luck... shooting par takes skill.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment:Β 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5Β°) Β· PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15Β° and 21Β°)Β Β· PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22Β°, 25Β°, and 28Β°) Β· PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) Β·Β Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50Β°, 55Β°, 60Β°) Β·Β Edel Classic BladeΒ Putter (32") Β· Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour Β· Pinned Prism RangefinderΒ Β· Star Grips Β· Flightscope Mevo Β· TRUE Linkswear Shoes Β·Β Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
AnalyzrΒ Pro

I voted for an even par round. My best is +1, and that happened just a few weeks ago. I figure a hole-in-one is more of a luck thing... [quote name="bplewis24" url="/t/68871/which-would-you-rather-do-first-if-you-havent-done-any-hole-in-one-or-shoot-even-par/30#post_875813"] I ever tell you guys about the time I shot a 77 with a double on the par 5 thirteenth? Β If not for that bad tee shot I would have definitely birdied and shot a 74. Β Maybe even eagle for a 73. Β Come to think of it, I may have even... [/quote] I tend to be just the opposite... I've had a +1, two +2's, and a handful of +3's in my life. For each one, I've generally said that I was lucky to shoot what I did. Those were the rounds where I sank a few 20+ footers and maybe even had a chip-in or two. Thankfully, I've never had a chance for even par and then blew up on hole #17 or 18... Now that I typed that, maybe I shouldn't be thankful for that... That means that I've never really put myself in a good position to post even par going into #18. Hmmm...

Again, I think some people are looking at it in an odd way. In my opinion:

If you're capable of shooting even par, it is not something that you would be openly bragging about to your playing partners. You already have the capability of doing it if you have reached that level in your game, so nobody would want to hear about your ability to shoot even par. Chances are, once you do it, you will likely do it again or eventually shoot under par.

On the flipside, there are many very good golfers who have never had an ace. The two are really not comparable if you ask me because again, one is more determined by luck while the other is more determined by your playing ability and skill level.

Scenario A : Doug typically breaks 80 but never shot even par. The season comes to an end and Doug begins working hard on his game and putting in massive amounts of constructive practice. Doug comes out next season and shoots even par 3 weeks into the season. He tells all of his buddies "I shot even par the other day!". The typical response is "Oh, cool." or "Very nice.". People already knew Doug was a good golfer and capable of shooting even par, or under par, so it's not that big of a deal because he's a great golfer. It's over and done with and Doug is repeatedly shooting even par and occasionally under par. The first time he shot even par is memorable, sure, but the excitement faded as he is now trying to repeatedly shoot under par and beat his personal best score.

Scenario B : Doug, being the same great golfer that he is, never had an ace after many years of playing. He's come close and he's told his stories about the 197 yard, downhill Par 3, where his ball hit behind the stick and spun back to within 2" of the hole. Several weeks later, Doug finally scores that Ace. He's accomplished something he may never, ever do again. He saves the ball and puts it in a little case on his bar in his man cave and is continuously ridiculed by his friends because it happens to be a Bridgestone E5 Pink ball that he borrowed from his wife when it happened. The memory will be fresh for the rest of his life and he has a story that other golfers will enjoy and congratulate him on.

Again, examine both of these. Do you want to go out and catch 10 large mouth bass? Or would you rather catch the granddaddy of them all, a record breaking 25 pounder that is pure luck and something that you may never do again. Even par to most golfers is more rewarding, but again, it's something that is achieved through hard work, time, and consistency. An ace may never happen in your lifetime.

I'll take my ace.

Originally Posted by Spyder

Again, I think some people are looking at it in an odd way. In my opinion:

If you're capable of shooting even par, it is not something that you would be openly bragging about to your playing partners. You already have the capability of doing it if you have reached that level in your game, so nobody would want to hear about your ability to shoot even par. Chances are, once you do it, you will likely do it again or eventually shoot under par.

On the flipside, there are manyΒ very good golfers who haveΒ never had an ace. The two are really not comparable if you ask me because again, one is more determined by luck while the other is more determined by your playing ability and skill level.

Scenario A: Doug typically breaks 80 but never shot even par. The season comes to an end and Doug begins working hard on his game and putting in massive amounts of constructive practice. Doug comes out next season and shoots even par 3 weeks into the season. He tells all of his buddies "I shot even par the other day!". The typical response is "Oh, cool." or "Very nice.". People already knew Doug was a good golfer and capable of shooting even par, or under par, so it's not that big of a deal because he's a great golfer. It's over and done with and Doug is repeatedly shooting even par and occasionally under par. The first time he shot even par is memorable, sure, but the excitement faded as he is now trying to repeatedly shoot under par and beat his personal best score.

Scenario B: Doug, being the same great golfer that he is, never had an ace after many years of playing. He's come close and he's told his stories about the 197 yard, downhill Par 3, where his ball hit behind the stick and spun back to within 2" of the hole. Several weeks later, Doug finally scores that Ace. He's accomplished something he may never, ever do again. He saves the ball and puts it in a little case on his bar in his man cave and is continuously ridiculed by his friends because it happens to be a Bridgestone E5 Pink ball that he borrowed from his wife when it happened. The memory will be fresh for the rest of his life and he has a story that other golfers will enjoy and congratulate him on.

Again, examine both of these. Do you want to go out and catch 10 large mouth bass? Or would you rather catch the granddaddy of them all, a record breaking 25 pounder that is pure luck and something that youΒ may neverΒ do again. Even par to most golfersΒ is more rewarding, but again, it's something that is achieved through hard work, time, and consistency. An ace may never happen in your lifetime.

I'll take my ace.

There is no right/wrong or "odd" way to look at this question. It's more of a question about would you rather have a spectacular shot that is typically mostly luck or would you rather be a better golfer. I'll take being a better golfer every day of the week, unless there is a lot of money on the line :-P, then I'll take the ace.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon:Β Z355

:callaway:Β XR16 3 Wood
:tmade:Β AeroburnerΒ 19* 3 hybrid
:ping:Β I e1 ironsΒ 4-PW
:vokey:Β SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff:Β Harmonized Sole GrindΒ 56 andΒ Windy City Putter

Again, I think some people are looking at it in an odd way. In my opinion: If you're capable of shooting even par, it is not something that you would be openly bragging about to your playing partners. You already have the capability of doing it if you have reached that level in your game, so nobody would want to hear about your ability to shoot even par. Chances are, once you do it, you will likely do it again or eventually shoot under par. On the flipside, there are many very good golfers who have never had an ace. The two are really not comparable if you ask me because again, one is more determined by luck while the other is more determined by your playing ability and skill level. Scenario A : Doug typically breaks 80 but never shot even par. The season comes to an end and Doug begins working hard on his game and putting in massive amounts of constructive practice. Doug comes out next season and shoots even par 3 weeks into the season. He tells all of his buddies "I shot even par the other day!". The typical response is "Oh, cool." or "Very nice.". People already knew Doug was a good golfer and capable of shooting even par, or under par, so it's not that big of a deal because he's a great golfer. It's over and done with and Doug is repeatedly shooting even par and occasionally under par. The first time he shot even par is memorable, sure, but the excitement faded as he is now trying to repeatedly shoot under par and beat his personal best score. Scenario B : Doug, being the same great golfer that he is, never had an ace after many years of playing. He's come close and he's told his stories about the 197 yard, downhill Par 3, where his ball hit behind the stick and spun back to within 2" of the hole. Several weeks later, Doug finally scores that Ace. He's accomplished something he may never, ever do again. He saves the ball and puts it in a little case on his bar in his man cave and is continuously ridiculed by his friends because it happens to be a Bridgestone E5 Pink ball that he borrowed from his wife when it happened. The memory will be fresh for the rest of his life and he has a story that other golfers will enjoy and congratulate him on. Again, examine both of these. Do you want to go out and catch 10 large mouth bass? Or would you rather catch the granddaddy of them all, a record breaking 25 pounder that is pure luck and something that you may never do again. Even par to most golfers is more rewarding, but again, it's something that is achieved through hard work, time, and consistency. An ace may never happen in your lifetime. I'll take my ace.

In that case, does the question really boil down to, would you rather get an Ace or be someone with a good enough golf game to be capable of shooting even par.....? I'm still gonna say the latter. That's one HELLUVA fish though! :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

There is no right/wrong or "odd" way to look at this question. It's more of a question about would you rather have a spectacular shot that is typically mostly luck or would you rather be a better golfer. I'll take being a better golfer every day of the week, unless there is a lot of money on the line :-P, then I'll take the ace.

lol This is what I mean though. I want the ace first because it may never happen again. You have the rest of your life to dedicate towards becoming a better golfer. Give me that damn ace up front and I can put that notch in my belt and move on. I am literally looking at the poll and reading it as "Which one of these do you want to achieve first .". I want the ace out of the way because the odds of it happening are very slim. However, if I put in enough time and practice I know I can make the latter happen on my own.

I think you got it backwards. For a typical golfer , the odd of getting an ace is much greater than the odd of shooting an even par for a round.

In general, a typical golfer will NEVER shoot an even par but will likely get an ace or two (or more).

EDITED--In fact, I have 3 hole in ones but never shot an even par for a round. Β My best, so far, is +1 for 18 holes on 6800 yd, par 72 course.

lol This is what I mean though. I want the ace first because it may never happen again. You have the rest of your life to dedicate towards becoming a better golfer. Give me that damn ace up front and I can put that notch in my belt and move on. I am literally looking at the poll and reading it as "Which one of these do you want to achieveΒ first.". I want the ace out of the way because the odds of it happening are very slim. However, if I put in enough time and practice I know I can make the latter happen on my own.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex:Β EZone BladesΒ (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron: Β 2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Originally Posted by Yukari

I think you got it backwards. Β For a typical golfer, the odd of getting an ace is much greater than the odd of shooting an even par for a round.

In general, a typical golfer will NEVER shoot an even par but will likely get an ace or two (or more).

EDITED--In fact, I have 3 hole in ones but never shot an even par for a round. Β My best, so far, is +1 for 18 holes on 6800 yd, par 72 course.

I don't have it backwards and I already stated that the ace is luck and can be achieved by anyone. You've missed everything that I've said apparently.

In short: Β I want the ace first if I have the option to choose because it may never happen in my lifetime . There are many great golfers who never recorded an ace. I know I can eventually shoot even par if I dedicate enough time, finances and constructive practice to the game. Not only could I shoot even par by doing so, I could eventually shoot under par and become a scratch golfer . An ace does not come with skill and is pure luck. I want that lucky shot first . This is my reasoning, that's all. I'm not saying I'm right because this is an opinion based poll.

An ace does not come with skill and is pure luck.

I agree with everything you said in your post except this. Not all aces are pure luck. What I think you meant to say was that an ace can be the product of luck ,Β and much less skill is required than the skill required to shoot even par.

Obviously, the more skilled you are, the more legitimate opportunities you'll have to score an ace. I'd be curious to know what the correlation is between aces and handicap/general ability among those with multiple aces.

Tyler Martin

Hmmm, I smell another poll on the horizon:

I've shot even par (non-executive/par 3 course).

I've had a hole-in-one (on only one shot).

Neither.

Both.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Spyder I can't agree with you on this from my perspective as a +12-13.

Like I said before, I'd rather have 72 great strokes than one extremely excellent shot.

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

I agree with everything you said in your post except this. Not all aces are pure luck. What I think you meant to say was that an ace can be the product of luck,Β and much less skill is required than the skill required to shoot even par.

Obviously, the more skilled you are, the more legitimate opportunities you'll have to score an ace. I'd be curious to know what the correlation is between aces and handicap/general ability among those with multiple aces.

Right on, that is what I meant. An ace is not relying solely on skill, while shooting even par does.

Originally Posted byΒ TJBam

Spyder I can't agree with you on this from my perspective as a +12-13.

Like I said before, I'd rather have 72 great strokes than one extremely excellent shot.

I understand where you guys are coming from with this logic. I would still choose the ace first though as it is not something that I can arrive at the course and say "Alright, you've busted your ass for 5 years now and you've come so close. Today is the day!" and make an ace happen. While I can get my game to the level required to shoot even par and expect to do so. That's the difference maker for me I guess.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Hmmm, I smell another poll on the horizon:

I've shot even par (non-executive/par 3 course).

I've had a hole-in-one (on only one shot).

Neither.

Both.

Do it.

Tyler Martin

Note:Β This thread is 3914 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!