IGNORED

brand spankin' new

Note: This thread is 3936 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello, my name is Dave, and I live in the MetroWest Boston area (originally from the pacific northwest). I hope I'm posting this thread in the appropriate place.

I am new to this forum, and new to golf. I've been to the driving range a few times, and that has been my only exposure to golf my entire life (I'm in my early 30's). Funny thing is, I have many friends who play, I was just never really interested. I did grow up playing hockey and soccer, so it's not like I have an aversion to sports/recreational activity...

I've never owned golf clubs, and quite honestly, wasn't ever interested in playing, until.....

2 weeks ago, one of my colleagues gave me a bunch of his old clubs (all irons I believe, Tommy Armour 3-9, and a pitching wedge). He is an avid golfer, and has been his entire life. He bought a new set for himself. The mere fact that I've been the recipient of free golf clubs, kind of forces me to go out and learn.

In addition, I work in sales, where, I'm sure most people can attest to, a lot of business can be conducted on the golf course. So there are practical reasons for wanting to learn as well.

So, I've heard golf is very difficult, and also quite addicting. Sounds like a paradox of sorts...

In any case, before I deluge myself about learning the vernacular, the rules, and how to play, etc, I would rather spend my initial time learning how to swing a golf club. With that being said, would you folks recommend a private lesson or a group lesson? My fiance would also like to learn with me (she works in sales too).

There is actually a driving range/course near me (Natick Golf Center), and it seems they offer group lessons. I just wanted to get an idea from you seasoned vets, whether we would be better served seeking private instruction, or if that's overkill.

Since I'm on the subject, what would you recommend for a golf bag? One with a stand?

Just Settling In,

Dave

If you truly have a vested interest in learning the game of golf I highly encourage you to seek lessons.  Doing so before developing bad habits will only help  you in the long run.  Just keep in mind that there is the inherent risk that you won't like Golf so make sure you want to spend $$ on it.

As far as a golf bag, you definitely will need one.  At this point in time I would recommend trying to find a used golf store or bargain place and getting a cheaper (but decent quality) bag.  If you decide to continue with your golfing then you can look into something a bit better/more expensive.

Jeff

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Lessons are definitely the best place to start, take a lesson but then spend time alone, or with fiancé, working on what you was shown! Maybe a few weeks, then go for another lesson, I wouldn't recommend taking a lesson every week! Because you don't get time to install your instructions, and you may end up having the same lesson 3 weeks running, which is a waste of money, learn from one lesson, then have another! It takes time, and it will inevitably be frustrated at times, but once you start hitting balls sweet golf will grab you like crack to a hooker, you'll become obsessed, it will consume you! You'll bore the shit out of your non golfing friends and you won't give a damn! You'll spend your nights on YouTube looking for tips! Or on the Internet reading reviews on the latest equipment! Your wardrobe will become brighter, and you'll regret starting a family because that's so time consuming! Your wkend a will be planned around your golf, and you'll try to leave work early so you can " just go and hit a few balls" All the things you used to find fun will become boring, as you'd rather play golf, eventually your wife will run off with with one of your old friends, and hopefully take the kids which will free up more time for golf! That week you'll break 80 and you'll realise the true meaning of life! ..... Or ya might just find its not for you!

Gaz Lee

Note: This thread is 3936 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!