IGNORED

My Swing (FooFader)

FooFader
Note: This thread is 3522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Nice dude. Not much to add from me...what are some things you are doing to stop losing the wrist angle?

I haven't really had any time to practise this but I shall be making a lot of slow swings trying to get a feel for it. Then I'll take it to 50% speed and see if I can make some changes. It was only something mentioned for a few seconds in my last session with Brian. [quote name="Jeremie Boop" url="/t/69752/my-swing-foofader/60_60#post_1034375"]Something seems strange to me in your backswing your head gets tilted back, like your shoulders are too flat maybe. [/quote] Yes, this is the one thing I think that makes my swing look more ugly than it needs to. I know I have always had this move. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think it would come high up on the list of things to work on. I doubt I would gain much by trying to clean it up. Also I would bet a lot of money that trying to clean up my neck moving around as it does would be super hard. But I'll get round to it eventually as it does look silly

Henry

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Played another round this morning. Hitting the ball much better than the last few days. Corrected the posture as @mvmac said. I felt a lot more comfortable and athletic over the ball, i think that was just something that had slipped a bit during my lay off.

Shot another 85 today. Hit 6 greens which is good. The triple bogey on 5 was due to a pull hook off the tee into the trees and having to chip out but flubbing the chip. The double on 13 was also stupid, i was 30yrds from the green for 2 but then took 4 to get down :doh:

Awesome news though, there is an indoor practice facility hidden at the back of the pro shop at my new club (much like the setup in Erie) which i can use for working on stuff when i like. Looking forward to getting some good practice in there in the near future.

Henry

Not been to the course in a few days due to the storms and heavy rain we've been having. Been getting some practice in though been the showers. Working on my holding the wrist angle thing I think i've regressed a lot on the "hands out" piece i had as my previous piece. Reviewing this practise video from yesterday i notice that my hands seem to get stuck behind the ball. I haven't gone the DTL footage to prove it but i think i need to get working on my hand path again?

It looks like i am holding the wrist angle much better but due to the hands being not enough outwards, i have to 'flip' at the ball to have any hope of getting the club back to the ball.

Henry

Make sure you don't forget about "weight forward" while doing that drill.

In my humble opinion anyway.  Take it for what it is worth.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Make sure you don't forget about "weight forward" while doing that drill.   In my humble opinion anyway.  Take it for what it is worth.

100% agree, definitely not forward enough on the drill. I think it's just an artifact from the drill but definitely something to watch out for. No need to be ingrain bad habits

Henry

Make sure you don't forget about "weight forward" while doing that drill.

In my humble opinion anyway.  Take it for what it is worth.

Agree, having the weight forward is a big part of making the lag "happen". @FooFader your lower body is too stationary.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Agree, having the weight forward is a big part of making the lag "happen". @FooFader your lower body is too stationary.

So I need to slide the hips forward more then? Which will get the weight more forward right?

Henry

So I need to slide the hips forward more then? Which will get the weight more forward right?

More of this. Check out the difference in the flex of Rock's left knee compared to yours, much "heavier" load into the ground.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

More of this. Check out the difference in the flex of Rock's left knee compared to yours, much "heavier" load into the ground.

Awesome, thanks as always Mike. I shall work on this later at the range.

Henry

Been making a lot of slow swings really focusing on weight forward, in particular pressing the knee forward and keeping it flexed longer (as per the video). The video from practice today was encouraging. Still going to be working on this for a while but the feeling of impact was amazing when i got this right! The swing in the video was a bit exaggerated, i almost toppled forwards in the follow through but the picture is looking better i think.

Henry

Looks better to me.  Might want to watch the head drifting a bit forward at the start of the downswing. (or not, remember I am not an expert).

-Matt-

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I've been working on getting the weight more forward for a few days now. I've played twice and i can tell it's making a difference. When i get it right i get a really nice really through impact and a high ball flight, but it goes a bit further than i'm use to which is good. However, a lot of practice is needed on this still because i am still extending the left leg too early 50% of the time which is leading to all sorts of bother on the course: thins, chunks and low fades.

I'm be working on this later this afternoon at home because i know if i can get this piece owned i'll have more than enough game to get to my 14 handicap by the end of the year. I feel like i am on the cusp of a breakthrough but we'll see.

Henry

Played a nice round this afternoon, +15. I felt in control the whole time and apart from one double, where my tee shot hit a tree which is in the middle of the fairway, i had 17nGIR and so always felt like i would make a few U&Ds; and play better than bogey golf. I did only hit 2GIR which is poor but i was never very far away from the green. Still feel like i'm on the verge of a low round.

Regarding my swing, I am getting better and better at getting the weight forward and when i get it right it's really sweet. The problem is, i am finding it hard to commit to the new feeling of weight forward on the course and keep finding myself hanging back leading to all sorts of funky shots. I know the solution is just more reps, keep patient and it will come :smartass:

also just noticed that in the above picture from practice today, which was a full swing with a 5iron, the ball position maybe a touch too far back unless it's the camera angle. Note to self to watch that next time.

Henry

Nice round.  Those nGir really help the score out.

-Matt-

They really do! I wasn't hitting the ball well hence very few GIR, but just getting that nGIR all but guarantees a bogey at worst which if we do on 16+ holes we are going to be playing better than bogey golf. If i can just combine a round like today (sensible: no OB balls or many 3 putts) with a day where i hit 6+ greens i think i can definitely break past 85 which is my medium term goal at the moment

Henry

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

They really do! I wasn't hitting the ball well hence very few GIR, but just getting that nGIR all but guarantees a bogey at worst which if we do on 16+ holes we are going to be playing better than bogey golf. If i can just combine a round like today (sensible: no OB balls or many 3 putts) with a day where i hit 6+ greens i think i can definitely break past 85 which is my medium term goal at the moment

Certainly.

I have pulled this off a few times and scored in the lower 80's (81-82).  It shows me that you do not have to be a particularly good ball-striker to shoot scores like that.

On a side note, when I started to hit more nGIR, that is when golf became really fun for me.  It felt like I was playing the game the way it was meant to be played.

-Matt-

Certainly.

I have pulled this off a few times and scored in the lower 80's (81-82).  It shows me that you do not have to be a particularly good ball-striker to shoot scores like that.

On a side note, when I started to hit more nGIR, that is when golf became really fun for me.  It felt like I was playing the game the way it was meant to be played.

Definitely, even though i hit fewer greens today than usual it was a really fun round and i think that's because of those nGIRs which mean a lot of par putts. Also, hitting anything less than 6 greens is do-able even with a swing that is going though a lot of changes (hitting some poor shots due to old habits creeping in) as long as keys 1&2 are there.

I'll be playing again tomorrow afternoon, after a short range session before lunch. So fingers crossed for another low round (even though 85 is my low score at the moment it doesn't really feel that low as i've shot 85 3 times in the last 5 days :-D )

Henry

Note: This thread is 3522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!