IGNORED

My story and appreciation

Brian W
Note: This thread is 4031 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

First time poster, but I have been reading these forums for about 2 months now.  I played a lot about 6 and had been playing 2-3 times a month for about 3 years.  I didn't take the game too seriously and often had a lot of beers on the course.  My scores would range from 95 to 105 pretty consistently.  Because I didn't take it seriously, I thought I was having fun but realized after an 88 and the real fun was in concentrating and improving.  I took a golf lesson in Scottsdale while on vacation and it taught me a lot.  I came back home to St. Louis and shot a 95, 99, and a 107.  Needless to say, the 107 was the nail in the coffin.  I put my clubs in the basement and quit playing.

Recently, I have changed my lifestyle and started working out for the first time in my life in a goal to lose 75 pounds.  Getting married, being a chef, quitting smoking and having a baby had put some weight on and I got tired of being overweight and out of shape.  20 pounds into my journey, I decided I needed an active activity so I wanted to get back on the golf course.  Being in sales, it made sense and I really did enjoy it back when I had played.  I liked it because it is so hard.

I took a trip to the local golf store, picked up a new set of irons and over the course of the few weeks after, replaced my driver, hybrid, wedges and putter to clubs made in the 2010's (my old clubs were used and old when I had quit, at least 12 years old).  That is the end of my backstory, now to what brings me here.

I found this site about a week before I bought the irons as I research any major purchase like a crazed maniac.  After stumbling across this site, I realized this was how I wanted to learn.  I had watched a few of the Mark Crossfield youtube videos and he is great and all, but this was a lot more to-the-point and seemed easier to learn.  The community here seems very knowledgeable and is always willing to give their 2 cents even if it isn't what the poster wants to hear and I respect that.

The meaning of this post is to thank you guys for all these great videos.  After 5 rounds, I have tied my best round ever at 88 and it very well could have been much lower with some better decisions.  This was done at a very difficult course as well.  I started with the 1st rule in the first round, 2nd in the second and so on using the week or two between rounds concentrating on the respective key at the range prior to the round.  I have really enjoyed these videos and they are very helpful.  Please do not stop making them.  Thanks to all the members of this site for the future debates, information, and advise that will be shared in future posts.  I really do have the 5SK Video Thread to thank for my score and the fantastic teachers for making them happen.

I will probably pick up the video for a birthday or holiday present to myself to keep improving over the winter and be really ready to make a push at being a better golfer in the 2014 season.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I really do have the 5SK Video Thread to thank for my score and the fantastic teachers for making them happen.

You're welcome, glad it helped. If you have any questions about using the site, check out our "Using the Site" section , and Little Things New Users can learn.

Here are some great threads to get started and familiar with The Sand Trap

Want to follow some bright people and some awesome members? Check out this article . Want to talk about more than golf or quickly find like-minded folks? Check out our Groups .

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4031 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!