IGNORED

How to keep left arm straight on impact and finish?

marvin
Note: This thread is 3721 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Can someone please advise me how to keep my left arm straight during impact and follow through? I can keep my left arm straight during setup, backswing, and downswing, but usually lose my focus after hitting the ball. Is there any particular drill to do that?

I have no problem hitting the ball straight and keep it up in the air. However, I do believe if I can keep my left arm straight, I probably can have more power and increase my distance.

Thanks in advance

TaylorMade RBZ 9° | TaylorMade Burner SF 2.0 16.5° | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Titleist Vokey SM4 56°11 | Cleveland Classic #4

without seeing the rest of your swing....

one of the instructors will most likely be along here soon to give you more precise help, but you are flipping the club prior to impact; instead of doing what the 5keys instructors call keeping a flat left wrist:  shaft forward and wrist flat at impact.  Go to this link and look for Key #3.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread

If you can do that, your left arm will take care of itself

Yep, flipping going on! You need to understand the way the arms/forearms work in the downswing, esp through the impact area.

Here's a huge clue - the left hand/wrist stays flat all the way through (for the purposes of learning the correct motion), for that to happen you will find you have no choice but to let your forearms rotate anti-clockwise (as you look down) through the bottom of the swing, this should be a natural unforced rotation, the result of having soft(ter) arms.

Once you figure this out its gravy all the way.

Try to get a pro or someone who knows what they're doing to show/explain it to you, it is really simple, but something you have to do to move forward.

If I had to pick a drill, this one,

It helps with a steady head, weight forward, and hands ahead of the golf ball. I found to do this drill correctly, you need more body rotation than you think. If your hitting steeply into the ball with this drill, work on more body rotation and finishing with your belt buckle pointing upwards. Don't over do it so your falling away from the target, you should be able to brush the ground, taking shallow divots.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 months later...

Difficult to comment on without the seeing a video of your swing but it looks to me like the problems are occuring before impact as your hands aren't ahead of the club head enough meaning that you have lost some lag in the downswing.  It also appears to me that you may be pulling the left arm and shoulder back around the impact area which is preventing the left arm to fold correctly. When you swing, scan the tension in the left arm and shoulder around the impact area to make sure you are not tensing up then check out the drill below which will help you to increase lag and fold the left arm correctly on the follow through.

Note: This thread is 3721 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!