IGNORED

Removal of Weight

Note: This thread is 6115 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've got the Callaway Big Bertha 06 model, and my coach and I have noticed that my balloon shots come from too much weight at the bottom of the club. Is there any way to remove some of that extra weight, or am I stuck with it?
WITB

Driver - Taylormade r7 Quad 10.5˚ Fujijura E360 Stiff
Woods - Sonartec SS 2.5 13˚ HST Penley Tour Stiff
Hybrid - Sonartec HB-001 19˚ HST Penley Tour StiffIrons - Mizuno MP-67 Forged 4-PW, DGS300Wedges - Callaway Forged 50˚ and 54˚, Walter Hagen 60˚Putter - Nike T130 O/S Mallet Ctr Shaft 33"B...

You're pretty much stuck with it, grinding on a driver is not a good thing since the walls are already pretty thin. You can try some lead tape to the top of the head, a different shaft or different head.

Just out of curiosity, how did you coach deduct that the ballooned shots are from too much weight on the bottom of the driver?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned this:

This are my irons. My driver is fine.
WITB

Hybrid - Sonartec HB-001 19˚ HST Penley Tour StiffIrons - Mizuno MP-67 Forged 4-PW, DGS300Wedges - Callaway Forged 50˚ and 54˚, Walter Hagen 60˚Putter - Nike T130 O/S Mallet Ctr Shaft 33"B...

With all due respect, if you're really a 10hcp then BB irons are probably not the right iron for you. Those are game improvement irons for hackers (like me).

With all due respect, if you're really a 10hcp then BB irons are probably not the right iron for you. Those are game improvement irons for hackers (like me).

I know, but when I tried some of the blades, I didn't like the feel of them. These clubs just felt right at trial. Plus I don't shape my shots a whole lot, so this is a good club for me.

WITB

My dad was a 5 handicap and played with Taylor Made RAC OS the past year, and shot some really low scores...he was GREAT with them. They can be fine for anyone who isn't looking to work the ball a ton...

Get them reshafted? I don't think you can do anything about the weights, but I'm not positive.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

you could send them away and get the clubs ported, I believe that would lower the center of gravity and produce a lower ball flight

nomad golf does I think, its not cheap though... don't trust me on this one, it was a while ago when I looked into it

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

You can try porting (drilling holes in the thing) but that would most likely alter the balance of the club and so you'd be better off getting someone else to do it. As was previously said Nomad Golf do this for $15 per club http://www.nomadgolfwrx.com/Our_Serv...r_Services.htm
so it might get pretty expensive. Else you could try a local clubmaker
http://www.proclubmakers.org/
or if you have your own swing weight machine DIY but I'm not sure the back of the BB is amenable to this sort of thing.

I guess you you could try adding bits of lead tape to the top of your clubhead to attempt to shift the CG higher but once again this can alter the feel/SW of the clubhead considerably.

Best way to get ball flight down though (if you don't have major swing flaws) is by reshafting. What shafts have thee pre-tel?

you could throw some Project X rifled shafts in your set... I had some ballooning issues and the new shafts knocked my trajectory down, not I feel confident going after flags tucked behind hazards

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

Alright, thanks for your replies.
WITB

How about hitting the ball with a shallower angle of attack instead of trying to find miracle clubs?

In My Bag:
905T 9.5* w/Graffalloy Blue - D8
Maltby Trouble Out 13* 3+-Wood w/ Aldila NV - D4
HALO 1 Hybrid w/S400 Steel - D4
Maltby M-05 Forged 3-PW w/ Rifle 6.5 - D4 Vokey Oil Can 52* 56* 588 RTG DSG Bioniks Rl 209 Putter (400 grams) E5+

How about hitting the ball with a shallower angle of attack instead of trying to find miracle clubs?

That's what I'm doing now... its too expensive to get them ported. So..

WITB

Best to go somewhere with a launch monitor and try clubs with different shafts,kick points and tip stiffness.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

Note: This thread is 6115 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!