IGNORED

Pace Problem

Cartboy
Note: This thread is 1625 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

At any of the three courses that I play at if I'd done that I'd have been asked to leave.

@Cartboy so if when I'm golfing around the course and the marshall comes by me and my group often, not to tell us anything but just to bullshit with us for a sec and does this several times in the course of 18 is that a sign that we're going to slow or more that he's just bored?

I can't answer that from personal experience because I have too much work to do.  There are players I know and who know me, and they wanna BS, so I have to be diplomatic.

Everything depends on the situation.  If it's not a busy day and BSing doesn't affect anyone else, and the players intiate it .

My favorte line of all times was a group of young guys with three times and a Big Shot leader.  I first saw them on 2 and on my next round an hour later they were on 4.  I greeted them with something like, "Struggling?!" with a chuckle.

Big Shot said, "This is all about you, isn't it?"  It pissed me off, but you gotta stay cool.  I took his scorecard and circled the line that says all players have to abide by course personnel, placed it back on his scorepad, and drove off.

An hour later that group was on 10.

:whistle:

At any of the three courses that I play at if I'd done that I'd have been asked to leave.

@Cartboy so if when I'm golfing around the course and the marshall comes by me and my group often, not to tell us anything but just to bullshit with us for a sec and does this several times in the course of 18 is that a sign that we're going to slow or more that he's just bored?

In my experience, both as a player and as a course employee, either or both could be true.  The difference is that most of the time, if you are behind, he will tell you the first time, then he will maintain high visibility until he sees that you are catching up.  If he is really good at his job, he will also make a point of stopping and thanking you for getting back on pace.  It's very good customer relations to show appreciation for a group who was having trouble having solved their problem.

If I see the ranger more often than seems normal, I'm checking my time myself to see if we are off pace, even if he doesn't say anything.  Most of the time I don't even need any tacit prodding by him, I try to always be aware of pace - particularly if there is no group visible in front of us.

I'm less concerned with clock-watching if I'm doing a lot of waiting on the tee and fairway.  Then it's only a concern if the group in front suddenly disappears.  It's a difficult situation, but now the responsibility is on my group to close the gap, even though we didn't create it in the first place.  It's one of the issues which can arise when playing on a busy course, and usually comes from the ranger not being quick enough to identify the slow group.  If they are allowed to open too large a gap, then asked to pick up, now the groups behind them who did nothing wrong are behind pace with open course in front of them.  To get the flow back on pace, those groups have to hurry their play to close back up.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Anyone who doesn't play early is just asking for a slow round.  IMO

I prefer to lead the way rather than follow behind a bunch of hackers. LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I played one of my flat, well-cleared, easy-to-navigate, SW FL winter courses yesterday.  They all are, in comparison to my home course. :-P

I booked through E Z Links, so got paired with a 3-some.  The 82-year-old I rode with was not a pace problem.   . He went to his ball, hit it, got in the cart, and moved on.

But his son and grandson-in-law . . :roll: . I'm sorry, but I had to step out in front of them a few times to hit a shot while they were fiddle-farting around looking for a club or BSing or whatever they were doing.

There were no open tee times from 7:30 until after we finished, noon, and no gaps anywhere that I could see.  There were at least a dozen carts waiting to start when we finished.

I was able to drag them around in four hours.

It's not even the same situation/problem on an easy-to-play course.

Oh yeah, 84˚.  What is it where you're at?

I played one of my flat, well-cleared, easy-to-navigate, SW FL winter courses yesterday.  They all are, in comparison to my home course.  :-P I booked through E Z Links, so got paired with a 3-some.  The 82-year-old I rode with was not a pace problem.   . He went to his ball, hit it, got in the cart, and moved on. But his son and grandson-in-law . .:roll: . I'm sorry, but I had to step out in front of them a few times to hit a shot while they were fiddle-farting around looking for a club or BSing or whatever they were doing. There were no open tee times from 7:30 until after we finished, noon, and no gaps anywhere that I could see.  There were at least a dozen carts waiting to start when we finished. I was able to drag them around in four hours. It's not even the same situation/problem on an easy-to-play course. Oh yeah, 84˚.  What is it where you're at?

I'll be happy to show you some tough courses with elevation down here if you're tired of the type that attracts 82 year olds. Beautiful day yesterday. Cold and windy today though. Of course, cold is a relative thing this time of year! ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I'll be happy to show you some tough courses with elevation down here if you're tired of the type that attracts 82 year olds.

Beautiful day yesterday. Cold and windy today though. Of course, cold is a relative thing this time of year!

Playing at the landfill again, huh!?

Our house sits at 8 feet msl and the only things higher are bridges or the Indian cemetery.

:smartass:

Quote:

Originally Posted by David in FL

I'll be happy to show you some tough courses with elevation down here if you're tired of the type that attracts 82 year olds.

Beautiful day yesterday. Cold and windy today though. Of course, cold is a relative thing this time of year!

Playing at the landfill again, huh!?

Our house sits at 8 feet msl and the only things higher are bridges or the Indian cemetery.

This sign at one of my favorite Colorado courses:

I have seen a couple of guys walking the course, but even when I was young and in backpacking shape, I wouldn't have wanted to.  And I sure wouldn't want to be waiting behind a foursome trying to walk it.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Playing at the landfill again, huh!? Our house sits at 8 feet msl and the only things higher are bridges or the Indian cemetery. :smartass:

LOL. it ain't the mountains, that's for sure! :-) The good news is that you should be shooting some super low scores on those easy, wide open FL courses. I'd imagine your index will be down under 10 by the first of the year! :beer:

In David's bag....

LOL. it ain't the mountains, that's for sure!

The good news is that you should be shooting some super low scores on those easy, wide open FL courses. I'd imagine your index will be down under 10 by the first of the year!

I was shooting low 80's down here last winter and even had a 9-hole 39.

First round back at my home course: 100.

Still under four hours, though.

I was shooting low 80's down here last winter and even had a 9-hole 39. First round back at my home course: 100.

You need to stop playing the girly courses down here and put on your big boy pants! :-D

In David's bag....

You need to stop playing the girly courses down here and put on your big boy pants!

I can understand wearing big boy pants in the landfill!!!  If I have to put on big boy pants I'm probably not going outside.

My girlie game is well-suited to these SW FL girlie courses.  Three or four years ago I played with the Club Champ at Country Creek in Estero.  He shot 71 and I shot 69.  But, my game comes and goes and his stays the same.  Even on an executive course you have to be hitting the ball pretty good to break 70.

I can understand wearing big boy pants in the landfill!!!  If I have to put on big boy pants I'm probably not going outside.

My girlie game is well-suited to these SW FL girlie courses.  Three or four years ago I played with the Club Champ at Country Creek in Estero.  He shot 71 and I shot 69.  But, my game comes and goes and his stays the same.  Even on an executive course you have to be hitting the ball pretty good to break 70.

Fair enough.  But don't complain about the easy courses in FL if you won't play the tough ones. ;-)

In David's bag....

Where did I complain?

I may have misinterpreted.

You've stated any number of times how flat, open, and quick to get around the courses in FL are, intimating that they're far easier than the courses at home. I took that to mean the you were disappointed in the lack of challenge.  We certainly have our share of easy courses, just as everyone does.......heck, we probably have more just because we have a lot more courses than most.  That doesn't mean that they're all easy though and just because you haven't played any of the tough ones doesn't mean they're not out there.  If you want a challenge, go find them, there are hundreds....  No landfill required.

If you enjoy the wide open tracks, and the executive courses that's ok too.  We cater to all types of players down here.

In David's bag....

The fact of the matter is that in referring to easy-to-play courses, I am trying to make a statement about those who say 4 hours per round like it's set in stone on every course everywhere, and that we should kick off anyone who can't do it on a very tough, very hard-to-play course.

All courses are not equal and things like Pace should not be universal.  Where in the rule book does it say that a round of golf cannot take more than 4 hours?  Who among us has not played a 4 1/2 hour round that they enjoyed?  I certainly have.

Where did Troon come up with 4:09 for all their courses?  Are they identical, like Putt Putt?

The first time the Golf Channel Am Tour came to our course, a guy in the first group took a 30 (45 minutes) on our Par 3 second hole.

On a busy day we would love to get everyone around in no more than 4 1/2.

Where did Troon come up with 4:09 for all their courses?

Even that wasn't set in stone:

Troon Values Your Time™ - TIME PAR: 4 hours and 29 minutes & 4 hours and 33 minutes.

Troon Golf and Indian Wells Golf Resort have introduced a plan to ensure that golfers enjoy their experience, while playing in a reasonable amount of time.

Even that wasn't set in stone:

Troon Values Your Time™ - TIME PAR: 4 hours and 29 minutes & 4 hours and 33 minutes.

Troon Golf and Indian Wells Golf Resort have introduced a plan to ensure that golfers enjoy their experience, while playing in a reasonable amount of time.

PACESETTER Tips
  1. Play your tees: Choose a set of tees with a rating of 142 minus your handicap index. Or just tee it forward.
  2. Play Ready Golf (tee to green): When a player is at their ball or on the tee box and is ready to play, they should play. Take no more than 45 seconds to hit your shot.
  3. Be cart smart: Drop off your partner and drive to your ball. When you leave the cart, take three clubs, not one. Park behind greens.
  4. Use rules with discretion: Take no more than three minutes to look for balls and take relief.
  5. Keep Moving: Proceed quickly to your ball and be ready when it's your turn to hit.
  6. See it, read it, hole it: While others are putting, prepare for your putt. Go to the next tee.
  7. Be accountable: Recognize that slow play isn't just other players' fault.
Don't take this too serious, relax and enjoy your round!

• PACESETTER Times – Troon facilities are implementing PACESETTER Times, which are designated morning tee times reserved for players committed to playing quickly in at least 20 minutes under the facility's TIME PAR. This creates options for those looking to play in less time and also creates a steady pace-of-play for tee times throughout the day.

Note: This thread is 1625 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!