IGNORED

the term gamed

wils5150
Note: This thread is 3805 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm much more concerned about young people that don't have enough common sense to figure out how to change a flat tire (and other similar tasks) than I am about the terms they use.

The statement I've heard the most when training them is "Nobody taught me that."

Hell, "nobody taught me that" either. You just see a problem and figure out a way to solve it (with whatever tools, or makeshift tools, are available).

That may be true for the bright kids (although just because they take higher course content doesn't mean they are learning it to the depth that my generation did - I tutor a lot of top kids in calculus and their biggest problem is a lack of real mastery in algebraic manipulation).  But for the middle and low kids it is not true.  Because until HS they are supposed to learn the same things, to the same mastery level, in the same amount of time, as the bright kids.  One-size fits all is a terrible paradigm for education.

I see all those things you are observing also.  Especially mastering the algebra bit - they get the concepts but don't seem to be able to work the accounting of the basic math......

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can't stand the term "gamed" in it's modern, golf related context.

Also, the loss of the indefinite article is another one that upsets my pedantic sensibilities, I much prefer "I hit a 3 wood on the the 1st tee," as opposed to the contemporary, "I hit 3 wood..."

A 3 wood, to my mind, is not an abstract noun...

My only modification to this is I'm more likely to say "I mishit a 3W on the 1st tee." :blink:

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Also, the loss of the indefinite article is another one that upsets my pedantic sensibilities, I much prefer "I hit a 3 wood on the the 1st tee," as opposed to the contemporary, "I hit 3 wood..."

A 3 wood, to my mind, is not an abstract noun...

Why does that bother you?  How many 3-woods do you carry?  I hit "a" three wood implies, to me, that either the speaker is unsure which type of 3 wood he owns, or how many he owns.  "A fairway wood" makes sense, or "a wedge" but if you clarify it with the "3" or "lob" then why the need for the "a" at that point?

What's more annoying is when people do the opposite where it doesn't apply.  This is an all-too-common, somewhat annoying tactic of the sports pundits:

"When you have A LeBron James or A Kevin Durant on your team, you are always going to be in the hunt."

To me, simple is always better, and less words are usually simpler.

"When you have Lebron James or Kevin Durant on your team, you are always in the hunt" is a better alternative.

"Use" is always better than "utilize."

"I am getting it done" is better than "I am working on finishing it up."

Etc, etc.

I'm too old to use game as a verb in a sentence.  I guess if you are young and want to use it, ok cause I really don't care.  But, it does sound stupid to me....again...I'm old.

• Upvote 1

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Note: This thread is 3805 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!