IGNORED

New 3 wood. suggestions/help?

jcrew
Note: This thread is 6114 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I currently have a ping i3 3 and 5 wood. I can barely hit them (I'm sure my inconsistent fairway wood swing doesn't help but even my teacher hit them and he said he lost 20 yards off of his current clubs on a flush hit) so I'm going to trade them in and buy a new 3 wood. I don't need a 5 wood as I have a 19 degree hybrid that I hit just as far if not farther.

I want something that is fairly easy to hit but as I get better with my wood, something that'll be workable enough and give me room for improvement as well as motivation to improve on that club. On all my other clubs I have a fairly decent, consistent swing and I can shape my shots decently when I need to. (what kills my scores are short game and bad course management). Definitely looking for as much ease of use off the deck as on the tee.

So far I'm leaning towards the taylormade r7 steel. The only thing holding me back is that I don't have one of those wrenches or what not and I'm sure I'd have to change the weighting to a fade as I usually hit draws and I don't want to start hooking. The wrench doesn't come with the club but I can either buy one or find someone who has one and use it just for the one change.
Also in my mind is the burner tp, callaway x, and cleveland hibore. Your thoughts on each and any other suggestions?
(i'm going to a golf shop on tuesday to try out all those)

XTD Pro - 9.5* - GD YSQ
GS Tour - 15* -GD Red Ice
Rescue TP - 17* - Fujikura TP
Idea Pro Gold - 20* - Mitsubishi JavlnFX
MP-30, 4-PW - Standard Lofts / 2* flat - TT DG RAC Z TP (54*/10*) X-Forged (60*/10*)Scotty Cameron TeI3 - 35"

The Bobby Jones are so easy to hit. The shallow face of the club makes it easy to slide right under it...I love it.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

thanks for the suggestion.. I'll give that a try if i can find it at the store.
keep it coming

XTD Pro - 9.5* - GD YSQ
MP-30, 4-PW - Standard Lofts / 2* flat - TT DG RAC Z TP (54*/10*) X-Forged (60*/10*)Scotty Cameron TeI3 - 35"

I don't know what sort of forgiveness you are looking for but if you want something more workable but not very forgiving the Titleist 906F2 is a very solid better player club.
"The general knowledge in the United States about Australia is low. Everybody thinks we ride kangaroos to school. You don't ever take a kangaroo to school. You take them to the supermarket because you can put groceries in the pouch. "

- Stuart Appleby

In The Bag:Driver - 9.5° XTD Pro Graphite...

I don't know what sort of forgiveness you are looking for but if you want something more workable but not very forgiving the Titleist 906F2 is a very solid better player club.

I'm still looking for something fairly forgiving, so that's probably not the best option for me

XTD Pro - 9.5* - GD YSQ

the new cobra speed ld woods are amazing and really forgiving. give those a try

What's In My Bag

Driver R9 Supertri 9.5
3 WoodR9
3 Hybrid: Baffler DWSIrons X-20 Tour 4-PWGap Wedge RAC TP SmokeSand Wedge Vokey 56.14Lob Wedge Vokey SM 60.7Putter:SeeMore FGP Black

the new cobra speed ld woods are amazing and really forgiving. give those a try

which one should I try?.. from looking on the website.. the speed ld f looks appropriate?.. thanks for the suggestion

XTD Pro - 9.5* - GD YSQ

whats your swing speed

What's In My Bag

Driver R9 Supertri 9.5
3 WoodR9
3 Hybrid: Baffler DWSIrons X-20 Tour 4-PWGap Wedge RAC TP SmokeSand Wedge Vokey 56.14Lob Wedge Vokey SM 60.7Putter:SeeMore FGP Black

the 906f4 due out this september is supposedly more forgiving, helping players get the ball up in the air.

+ Titleist hybrids are easy to hit.

WITB

Driver - Taylormade r7 Quad 10.5˚ Fujijura E360 Stiff
Woods - Sonartec SS 2.5 13˚ HST Penley Tour Stiff
Hybrid - Sonartec HB-001 19˚ HST Penley Tour StiffIrons - Mizuno MP-67 Forged 4-PW, DGS300Wedges - Callaway Forged 50˚ and 54˚, Walter Hagen 60˚Putter - Nike T130 O/S Mallet Ctr Shaft 33"B...

whats your swing speed

I've never gotten it tested .... I'll take a guess around 100

My dad got his tested and he's in the mid 90's I believe and my swing is faster than his.

XTD Pro - 9.5* - GD YSQ

f speed should be good then, its amazing, getting one for christmas

What's In My Bag

Driver R9 Supertri 9.5
3 WoodR9

f speed should be good then, its amazing, getting one for christmas

got it today... paid 180. got the aldila nv stiff shaft (the red one)...love it..

i tried the taylormade r5xl, cleveland hibore, callaway big bertha and that one.... (=/ they were out of the r7 steel and burner)... but out of the 4 that I tried I liked the cobra the best.

XTD Pro - 9.5* - GD YSQ

is the face really big on the cobra?

decent sized

What's In My Bag

Driver R9 Supertri 9.5
3 WoodR9

Note: This thread is 6114 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!