IGNORED

Driver for female beginner

Note: This thread is 3806 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If she is just starting a driver might not be necessary a 3, 4 or 5 wood may fit the bill. However if the bigger head size gives her more confidence than a high lofted driver may be in order 13+ deg.

If she is just starting a driver might not be necessary a 3, 4 or 5 wood may fit the bill. However if the bigger head size gives her more confidence than a high lofted driver may be in order 13+ deg.

That's sort of what I was thinking.  Her ballstriking is, um, non-existent (she often does not strike the ball), but she can hit a ball of a tee most of the time with my driver so I think it's a good place to start.  Once she's more consistent I'll definitely advise to go with a FW or hybrid for control.

I didn't know drivers came above 12...

This may or may not apply. When I started out, I bought a cheap driver from a big box store, IIRC it was a 330cc head on a pretty whippy shaft, with a low kick point. The few times a flushed a tee shot, my carry was 245 yds, and my swing wasn't that great. So maybe getting her something inexpensive, with a senior flex shaft in a driver might be something to look at.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I know ping has offered 13.5* for the last few models. You can check all the major brands websites for specs. Another bonus is that the higher loft driver will tend to have softer flexes in the used market. As hammer said the right shaft, or at least close enough, is important. I would also advise to have her pick it out. You can do some recon in the used sections of your local shop. If she finds something she like without the right loft, then you'll know what to look for online.

Note: This thread is 3806 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!