• Announcements

• iacas

Introducing TST "Clubs!"   08/28/2017

No, we're not getting into the equipment business, but we do have "clubs" here on TST now. Groups. Check them out here:
Sign in to follow this  
Abu3baid

Mistakes that make you do your work over again!

Abu3baid    100

Ya.. I was importing data from multiple excel files and multiple tabs within them using an access application that I designed.. I have a button designed to delete specific data if I find any mistakes (so that I don't have to worry about if I deleted it or not.. you know, set it and forget it kind of thing).. The problem is that I designed the application last year and I am using it this year.. So, I had finished most of the data set up that I needed, but I had an updated sheet so I needed to delete some information.

I type in the key field in which to delete all the data from all the different tables in which it was entered, and I get an error (must of been the control I set up a while back).. I go into the code and quickly fix the dash or something that I had, and instead of looking at the actual code I will be executing I just save and go into my main form.

I click "DELETE" and I go into my summary table to make sure that everything is looking good.... ya... no data shows up.. I go into 3 or 4 tables and they are all blank.. I go into the code that I executed and it has this code DOCMD.RUNSQL ("DELETE * FROM [TABLE NAME]") for each of my tables.. so, instead of the code running the delete queries I have, I just screwed my self..

I deleted all data entered over the past 3 days into those tables...

I will have to go back and work double time and upload the data again into my tables...  Less time to work on my posture!!

ok.. good I got that off my chest..

take away from all of this:  Don't run "DELETE" button before double checking the code it will be running :)

Any of you ever do something that has made you start your work from scratch again?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Measure twice, cut once.....

But yeah, it happens.  More so when I was young and stupid.  Now that I'm older and just as stupid , but a bit more experienced , not quite so much.

I'm guessing you couldn't just "undo" the results?

I know you were asking the OP, but I had a buddy who, like me, does a little woodworking on the side.  He used to moan, "I cut the board 3 times now, and it's still too short!"

Sadly, there were a lot of people who didn't get it.....

I know you were asking the OP, but I had a buddy who, like me, does a little woodworking on the side.  He used to moan, "I cut the board 3 times now, and it's still too short!"

Sadly, there were a lot of people who didn't get it.....

Need to get yerself one of them board stretchers. :-P

jamo   
Sometimes I'll write something out only to re-read it at the end and realize I can't even read my own handwriting.

Abu3baid   

I'm guessing you couldn't just "undo" the results?

Ya.. no such thing as "undo" in MS Access (especially when running codes like "DELETE * FROM") LOL

MS Access is much better than Excel in my opinion.. But a lot less forgiving!

iacas   

Ya.. no such thing as "undo" in MS Access (especially when running codes like "DELETE * FROM") LOL

Well, I guess that's what you get for using Access. Most good databases let you roll back transactions. :D

So, kind like the Titleist MB of spread sheets? Sounds like you hit one off the toe and REALLY could have used a little perimeter weighting. ;-)

Abu3baid   
So, kind like the Titleist MB of spread sheets? Sounds like you hit one off the toe and REALLY could have used a little perimeter weighting.

:)  yes!

Well, I guess that's what you get for using Access. Most good databases let you roll back transactions. :D

All I can say is that Access did exactly what it was supposed to.. it usually does..

Almost like when you click on the Discard Draft below and then you click confirm.. no turning back!

Almost like when you click on the Discard Draft below and then you click confirm.. no turning back!

Actually my drafts seem to live forever on my iPhone...very hard to kill zombie drafts.

Abu3baid   
Actually my drafts seem to live forever on my iPhone...very hard to kill zombie drafts.

haha!! I suggest you reset your i-phone back to factory settings :w00t: