IGNORED

Wedge shafts same as irons shafts?

hert421
Note: This thread is 3698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was recently just fitted for a new set of Callaway apex irons with project x Pxi 6.0 shafts. Irons 4-6 are apex, 7-pw apex pro. My question is whether I should reshaft my wedges now to match. I play titleist vokey 52, 56 and 60 with the stock true temper wedge shaft. I have always hit them well, but wondering what everyone's thoughts are on keeping all shafts consistent.

I use a dedicated wedge shaft in my sand and lob wedge, and it gives me a good amount of control over my shots with regards to spin and trajectory. I could just as easily use my iron shaft model though, except it costs 10$ more per shaft. I still have one PW shaft left from my irons so I could shaft up a 52-54 degree head with it some day. I like my current sand wedge for certain shots, but my PW is more versatile and I don't use the 54 as much out of sand as I thought I would. Using an x stiff wedge shaft isn't always recommended, but in my case my swing speed was enough to make the X the easiest option to control, and I don't need to hold back if I'm making a hard shot of some kind with them.

My brother got a 52˚ mizuno wedge he liked (best club in his bag, only club I'd use from his set) and kept the stock spinner shaft in it. He liked it so much he got a 58 as well, with the same shaft. His PW is a cleveland with a dynamic gold, and he uses dynamic gold in his irons. He's often been able to easily stop the ball on 20-120 yard shots even though he doesn't have a great iron game and mishits everything. He didn't want to spend more money on shafts and liked the stock shafts well enough. Personally I'd change every shaft in his set but not everybody is willing to spend a lot on golf equipment.

It doesn't affect my swing or my accuracy to have different shaft models, and I feel as if my current shafts really control my distance well on full shots; they stop the ball right where the ball lands. Meanwhile I get more trajectory control and more potential for getting extra distance or release out of my irons when I need it. I don't really need longer max distances for wedges, or spinning the ball back on the green when I don't want to, I just need my ball to go where it's aimed and stop.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tom Wishon had a piece on golf shafts and wedges, and he said most players do fine with the the Wedge Flex, which is usually an S200 or S300. The heavier stiff shafts seem to work, because the shafts are shorter and not as difficult to flex.

For several Cleveland models, the TRAction (Tour Reflex Action) Wedgeflex was popular - it had a slightly more flexible tip section to help spin on partial shots, and a  stiffer butt section to help create a slightly lower the launch (prevent ballooning). I have these in my CG14 wedges.

You could just keep the wedge shafts you have, and calibrate them (make a range card for quarter, half and 3/4 shots). As hammer says, why mess with them?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Thanks Guys.  That was my thinking as well, keep them as is. My previous irons were fitted with s300 shafts so I never really questioned the s200 wedge shafts. Now that I was fitted for the Pxi's, I just wasn't quite sure if there would be any issue with consistency playing the different shafts.

Now that I was fitted for the Pxi's, I just wasn't quite sure if there would be any issue with consistency playing the different shafts.

At most, you might end up with an odd yardage gap between the Apex PW and the Vokey 52*. As long as you know what it is, you can allow for it.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 3698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!