IGNORED

Minus 1/2" on irons makes the lie more toe up or toe down?

Note: This thread is 3696 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a new set of Callaway X2 Hot Irons on order. I was fit by by local shop, yet something in the back of my mind is bothering me. I used to play standard length Callaway Razr X's. I then had different shafts installed that were about 1/2" shorter. My accuracy got much better! Unfortunately, the new shafts were just a bit too heavy for me. So I decided to just get new Ping Irons. Was fitted at standard length, and 1 degree up, blue dot. I hated the Pings. Tried to get used to them, but felt like swinging tree trunks. I know Ping is a great company and product, just not for me. So I took em back, and I am going back to Callaway. I ordered them 1/2" short, as it worked so well with my other clubs that were short.

When fitted, they said if you are 1 up at standard, then shortening the club will take care of the lie, so standard lie is correct. In my mind, it just seems backwards to me. I hope the boys at the shop know what they are doing. Does that sound right to you guys? 1/2" short does what to the lie angle?

Thanks!!

JRM

According to the Callaway rep I talked to recently and their website, a half-inch short will make the club 1* flatter than their standard club lie.   But the thing to keep in mind is, the standard length and lie on a Callaway club may be entirely different (I have not researched this, so I don't know for sure.  You might want to investigate it for yourself.) than what the standard length and lie is on the Pings..

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When I was fitted on the lie board, it was with a standard length shaft and I was constantly striking one degree on the toe. They said when you shorten the stick, that it should bring it to standard lie. I thought about it, and asked if that wasn't backwards. He said it's the opposite of what you would think. I guess I will find out when they get here.

JRM

This is from the Callaway pre-owned site (emphasis added):

There are two important factors to consider when considering the lie angle of an iron. First, lie angle should be fitted dynamically, meaning that the club fitter should examine the lie angle when the club is impacting the ball. How the clubhead sits at address has no bearing on performance. Second, lie is fitted after shaft length has been selected because length affects dynamic lie angle – every 1/2" of length added makes the iron play 1 degree more upright; the reverse is true for reduced length .

I hope it works out for you..

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

This is from the Callaway pre-owned site (emphasis added):

There are two important factors to consider when considering the lie angle of an iron. First, lie angle should be fitted dynamically, meaning that the club fitter should examine the lie angle when the club is impacting the ball. How the clubhead sits at address has no bearing on performance. Second, lie is fitted after shaft length has been selected because length affects dynamic lie angle – every 1/2" of length added makes the iron play 1 degree more upright; the reverse is true for reduced length.

I hope it works out for you..

Yes, if you make the club longer, you effectively make it more upright, and vice versa.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

So I went back to the shop where I ordered my clubs. Talked to a couple other guys there, and they confirmed my suspicions and your thoughts. I did a test with a club that was 1/2" short and 1.5 up, and I was still toe striking, need 3 degree up. So they are going to call Callaway in the morning, and reorder them. So frustrating. I don't like to be mean, but if you don't know your job, don't do it. UGH!! Thanks for the helps guys!!

JRM

Glad you got it worked out!! :-)

Note: This thread is 3696 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!