IGNORED

In need of game improvement irons!

Note: This thread is 3670 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I'm junior in high school and I just started playing golf. I'm really getting into the swing of things and even shot a 46 on Friday!! Anyways, my first set was some clubs my dad got used for me which includes a Adams f11 driver, 3-p wedge in the titleist 990 dci irons and 3 wedges a 52, 56, and 60(I bought a x hot 3 hybrid). I was wondering if anyone had some old game improvement irons that they don't want or need because I don't have much money to buy some and I'm in desperate need! Or if you have some suggestions for some good cheaper GI irons I would be very thankful!

I would just keep playing what you have. And instead of getting clubs spend the mo ey on lessons. But if ya want a decent set fir cheap Callaway x14 are good starter set that can be had for about $100 in good shape.
  • Upvote 1

Quote:

I would just keep playing what you have. And instead of getting clubs spend the mo ey on lessons. But if ya want a decent set fir cheap Callaway x14 are good starter set that can be had for about $100 in good shape.

This advice is spot on. Start with a pro. $100 might not get you a lot of lessons, but you will get more game improvement as a beginner out of one $50 lesson and $50 in range balls than you will a $100 set. At the least, the same pro might be able to help you with a good used set down the road.

I have a set of Titleist 990s and still play them. I think they are a great all-around club. Not quite a blade, not the full on cavity back, oversize head either. I would think they are good for someone in your shoes. If you are young, why think "game improvement" clubs - they're for old guys or lazy guys who want to manage their misses so that they feel better than they are. You're young, take a lesson, hit a bunch of balls, even if they are plastic ones in your backyard. You don't want the ball to feel better, you want to hit it better.

Quote:

This advice is spot on. Start with a pro. $100 might not get you a lot of lessons, but you will get more game improvement as a beginner out of one $50 lesson and $50 in range balls than you will a $100 set. At the least, the same pro might be able to help you with a good used set down the road.

I have a set of Titleist 990s and still play them. I think they are a great all-around club. Not quite a blade, not the full on cavity back, oversize head either. I would think they are good for someone in your shoes. If you are young, why think "game improvement" clubs - they're for old guys or lazy guys who want to manage their misses so that they feel better than they are. You're young, take a lesson, hit a bunch of balls, even if they are plastic ones in your backyard. You don't want the ball to feel better, you want to hit it better.

Totally agree with this. Game improvement clubs won't make a big difference and I think the clubs you have are very nice and should suit you well

So I'm junior in high school and I just started playing golf. I'm really getting into the swing of things and even shot a 46 on Friday!! Anyways, my first set was some clubs my dad got used for me which includes a Adams f11 driver, 3-p wedge in the titleist 990 dci irons and 3 wedges a 52, 56, and 60(I bought a x hot 3 hybrid). I was wondering if anyone had some old game improvement irons that they don't want or need because I don't have much money to buy some and I'm in desperate need! Or if you have some suggestions for some good cheaper GI irons I would be very thankful!

I agree with getting instruction over new clubs if that is the choice.  If you are in high school, perhaps the school has a golf program?  Many do (at least around here) and the instruction is part of the deal.  The 990s were Titleist's version of a game improvement club in their day I believe, but there are newer clubs that have more GI characteristics these days.  For starter clubs, I don't think you can go wrong with Ping G series clubs, and the older G15s turn up pretty cheap on used racks.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

Note: This thread is 3670 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!