IGNORED

college golf

hoofreak7
Note: This thread is 6092 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Im16 and i am a 5 handicap right now and Im interested in playing college golf. Im not sure how good i will be when i graduate from hs but im starting varsity this year(making varsity is a big deal...they played the u-18 british national team last year and lost by 3 strokes because one guy shot an 84) and the coach is amazing so i expect to get my handicap down in the next couple of years. Does anyone know anything about the college golf process? I looked at golf digest's college golf guide and i think it applied more to amazing golfers or extremely smart kids. I think im good enough to play d3 golf or maybe one of the less competitvie d1 team but im not quite sure yet.

in my bag
driver: r9 with Fujikura Motore 65g stiff shaft
3w-5w: Sz with stock shafts (aldila hm) stiff
irons(3-pw): s59 stiff
wedges: 52deg. rac satin vokey spin milled 56deg. putter: xg9ball: b330rx

I'm a sophmore, and I've been looking around as well.

You just need to contact the school's coaches and figure out if you can play with them or not. Contact is key.
WITB

Driver - Taylormade r7 Quad 10.5˚ Fujijura E360 Stiff
Woods - Sonartec SS 2.5 13˚ HST Penley Tour Stiff
Hybrid - Sonartec HB-001 19˚ HST Penley Tour StiffIrons - Mizuno MP-67 Forged 4-PW, DGS300Wedges - Callaway Forged 50˚ and 54˚, Walter Hagen 60˚Putter - Nike T130 O/S Mallet Ctr Shaft 33"B...

One thing you have to do is get cleared by the NCAA clearinghouse in order to be eligable. Then, I would say to play as many tournaments as you can over the next year and maybe send you golf resume to a couple of colleges that you are interested in playing for when you get there. ( US. Am, US Open, and other qualifiers) Dont worry about which division you play in. I went to a D-2 school and we often times beat Div-1 teams. Some Div- 3 teams beat us. Every school is different.
In My Bag:

Driver: taylormade.gif R11 TP 9˚ -Diamana Kai'li 65
Woods: cleveland.gif Launcher FL 13˚
Hybrids: titleist.gif909H 19˚, 24˚Irons: mizuno.gif MP-53  5-P Wedges:  mizuno.gif MP-T11 50, 54 titleist.gifBlack Nickel 58.08 Putter: cleveland.gifClassic Black Platinum #2 Ball: titleist.gif ProV1x -  Hole-in-one 4/17/09 www.colonialcountryclub.org

hey spectrums, i see your from no.va. What part? I live in richmond but I used to live in Centreville and I was born in fairfax. Oh yea, im a sophmore too by the way.

in my bag

What handicap do you think would be needed to play college? Anything under 4 for d-3? Only kid I knew who played college went to a d-2 school, and hes a 1 handicap, state champ too.

In the bag:
Driver: r7 quad v2 stiff
3-Wood: XLS
Hybrid: X
Irons: CG Golds 3-GWSW: x forged 56/13LW: Vokey sm 60/.08Putter: Callie 35''Ball: pro v1

i was looking at some d3 scores and some decent teams had half their team averaging over 79 and some had averages of like 88

in my bag

So good but not necessarily zomgamazing.

Obviously varying a lot on where you would like to attend.
"The general knowledge in the United States about Australia is low. Everybody thinks we ride kangaroos to school. You don't ever take a kangaroo to school. You take them to the supermarket because you can put groceries in the pouch. "

- Stuart Appleby

In The Bag:Driver - 9.5° XTD Pro Graphite...

hey spectrums, i see your from no.va. What part? I live in richmond but I used to live in Centreville and I was born in fairfax. Oh yea, im a sophmore too by the way.

i'm from nova too. i live in potomac falls and go to school in fairfax (tj)

XTD Pro - 9.5* - GD YSQ
GS Tour - 15* -GD Red Ice
Rescue TP - 17* - Fujikura TP
Idea Pro Gold - 20* - Mitsubishi JavlnFX
MP-30, 4-PW - Standard Lofts / 2* flat - TT DG RAC Z TP (54*/10*) X-Forged (60*/10*)Scotty Cameron TeI3 - 35"

They'll recruit and/or find you.

Win a minor junior tournament, your junior club championship, or place in your state's regionals or finals...and they'll send a letter to your AD.

From your neck of the woods?

Methodist. Awesome golf school that's full of players. Or Coastal Carolina.

I was a meathead and recruited primarily for football D1 and D2.

Best of luck to you. Golf on!

Edit: watch the movie "All the Right moves" with Tom Cruise as a young football player.

Or pay attention to pros on tour that came from nothing and "made it". Boo, Bubba, Hunter, et al, come to mind.

Best of luck to you.

might be a silly question or answer on my part, but if your attending College (as I'm sure you are) and they have a Golf team why can't you just walk on and try out for the team, even more so given that it will be a D2 or D3 College.

I wouldn't attempt this if your planning on attending a D1 school though.

Note: This thread is 6092 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!