IGNORED

New Club Recommendation

Note: This thread is 5919 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Okay back with another follow up question. I ended up speaking with a few people from the PCS in my area and we've decided that, like some recommended, taking a few lessons first. That said once the time comes for new clubs I do have some new questions now.

Should I get fitted and get a set of rack clubs? Or should I look into a set of custom clubs with componets to compliment my swing. One of the PCS members, semi-retired, said that would be a preferred route and said that even going to golfsmith would be okay and nearly the same price in the long run.

So my questions are as follows... Are truly custom clubs the way to go? Should I expect to spend a lot more than a name brand rack club? Is Golfsmith a okay way to go or should I use a PCS in my area? Are the components used in custom clubs through either method on par, technology wise, with what the name brands are offering?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!
Inside the OGIO Exodus
Driver: Ping G10 10.5* w/ TFC129 Stiff 45"
Hybrid: Nike SQ Sumo2 #4 & Sumo #2 w/ DG S300
Irons: Callaway X-20 5-PW w/ DG S300 2* Up
Wedges: Nike SV Tour Black 52.10 - 56.10 - 60.6 w/ DG S400Putter: Tour Bettinardi 32.5" Loft 3* Lie 70*Ball: Precept U-Tri Tour / Bridgestone...

Well I think I am going out this weekend to look around a bit and get a look at my swing. So far from comments here, other forums, and a TON of online review readings I'm looking, primarily, at either

I would highly recomend not getting the r7 draw. IMO it's simply a bandaid, it's better to try and correct the swing flaw. One of my friends bought the club, and he hits far to many hooks now. You could get the r7 460 x for the same price, I'd go with that.

In the bag:
Driver: r7 quad v2 stiff
3-Wood: XLS
Hybrid: X
Irons: CG Golds 3-GWSW: x forged 56/13LW: Vokey sm 60/.08Putter: Callie 35''Ball: pro v1

welcome to the greatest game ever!! finding clubs you like is totally a feel thing. it all depends on what u like. looks of the clubs can be important too but dont let that deter you too much. for beginners anything from cobra is a cant miss, feelwise or looks they are just nice clubs. also anything from cleveland, especially their hybrids i have a cleveland halo myself it's my go to club. i would highly recommend getting fit, in the long run it helps out greatly. hope that helps somewhat, and good luck :)

I would highly recomend not getting the r7 draw. IMO it's simply a bandaid, it's better to try and correct the swing flaw. One of my friends bought the club, and he hits far to many hooks now. You could get the r7 460 x for the same price, I'd go with that.

Thank KC II

Inside the OGIO Exodus
Wedges: Nike SV Tour Black 52.10 - 56.10 - 60.6 w/ DG S400Putter: Tour Bettinardi 32.5" Loft 3* Lie 70*Ball: Precept U-Tri Tour / Bridgestone...

• 4 months later...
Hello again everyone, so no I haven't bought my new clubs yet because, among other things, I have been doing my research, but the time is almost at hand! So I come to you my friends for some last minute thoughts on my predicament.

So I still don't know what clubs I am going to get, but that's not my problem. The problem is finding the right fitter and that is where I need help. So my three choices in the matter are....

The custom "retail" builder experience: Ejl Custom Golf or something similar
Pros
• True custom fit/built equipment using Major OEM components
• Black Gold Certified, Rifle Certified, UST Tour Shop
• Utilizes SST Puring
• Member PCS
Cons
• Most Expensive in terms of fitting & building by far
• While most reports have been extremely positive, I've heard a number of disturbing complaints
• As a high volume location it might lack the personal touch found at a smaller outfit

The custom independent component builder: Larry Nee
Pros
• Member PCS, Association of Golf Clubfitting Professionals, Golf Clubmakers Association
• Wishon Gold status, MOI Certified
• One man shop should equate to a more personal experience
• Inexpensive
• Shaft Flo
• Fits using the True Length Technology fitting system
Cons
• Only fit's Wishon and Infinity club heads
• True Length Technology - I guess the jury is still out on this one?
• While small and personal - doesn't live and die by his clubs. IE he has a day job to pay the bills
• Limited on hand stock

The pro shop fitter: Matt Vinge & Matt Wood @ Top Golf USA - Wood Dale
Pros
• Custom club fitter using Major OEM components
• Certified Nike, Ping, Callaway, Titleist/Cobra, Taylor Made, Mizuno fitter
• Former Nike Golf employee & current Nike staff player
• PGA professional/member
• Same guy fitting would be the same guy I take lessons with
• Smaller Operation than #1, but makes a living unlike #2 should make for a more personal approach
• Close personal friend of my step brother = a greater interest in seeing I'm taken care of
• More competitive price than option 1, but still using major OEM equipment
Cons
• Equipment is built by OEM and thus may lack quality control to some degree
• Equipment is built by OEM and thus lacks extras like shaft puring
• Lacks fitting credentials such as Rifle Certified, Black Gold Certified

Okay folks thats my dilemma! I am welcome to any and all feedback, suggestions, and questions you may have. I won't say which way I am leaning yet because 1) I don't want to influence any commentary and 2) Well I really don't know as each has pros and cons.

So thanks for reading my novel and once again in advance for any help because I really need it!
Inside the OGIO Exodus

I'd probably go with the pro shop fitter, you get to try out most of the good clubs and he wants to do his best so you believe in him and continue taking lessons from him.

905R 10.5* Aldila NV 65
904F 15* Graphite Design YS-6+
NVG2 UT 17* Fujikura Triple Action
755 3-PW Trispec steel
52/08, 58/08 rac TP Wicked putter (model 1)

Well I made my decision and it's the Pro Shop Fitters so unless something drastic changes that's who I will be going with!

So yesterday was my first of many many visits and right now I'm just hitting virtually everything he has and cutting it down to the iron sets I like before we start doing some real work.

The first 5 sets I tried were

Ping G10
Ping Rapture
Mizuno MX-25
Mizuno MX-950
Callaway X-20

So this isn't meant to be an in depth review, but the first two sets of irons I eliminated were the Mizuno MX-950 and the Ping Rapture. Neither of these clubs really seemed to do much for me. Bad hits weren't rewarded any better than with the other clubs, and they didn't suit my eye very well at address. The worst part though was the feel... good shots just didn't feel good, specifically with the 950s and the good shots didn't seem to fly as nicely as with the other clubs.

Now does that make sense? I don't really "work" the ball intentionally so I had thought I would have gravitated more towards those SGI clubs… not away from them.

Of the 3 that remain I think so far the X-20 are the standouts. The Mizuno felt the nicest on good clean hits, but I tend to take no divot and have read that for my swing-type they aren't recommend. Visually speaking though these were the nicest, but I had more consistency I felt with the G10 and X-20.

Between the X-20 and the G10s, the feel seemed to be the same, but I hit the 20s better more consistently, while the Pings rewarded me better with mishits than the Callaways seemed too.

So back again I go tomorrow though to hit some more Gallaway and I think some Nike stuff tomorrow as well. The shop has fitting carts for all most all the OEMs so I have a lot more to hit before we actually get down to the fitting!

Any thoughts? Feedback? Thanks!
Inside the OGIO Exodus

• 1 month later...
Well it's been a while since I've been out due to some work/family things going on, but I think today was a success. The day started hitting some more irons around followed up by a lesson with the fitter/teacher.

So the irons on the block today were:

Cleveland Gold
Ping i10
Taylor Made R7
Nike Slingshot 4D
Nike Sumo

I started of by quickly eliminating the Cleveland Gold and the Sumos. The Golds looked fantastic, but something about the iron just wasn't right. The Sumos on the other hand looked horrible, but hit decently although they felt very strange throughout the swing... not heavy, but almost like they dragged through the air.

This left the i10s, Slingshots and R7. Of all these clubs the i10s felt and looked the nicest and I was very impressed with them. The downside to the i10 though was that it was shorter and slightly less forgiving than the other two that made todays cut.

If I had to pick a club right now the R7 would be one of the absolute top contenders. This club had a lot of distance for me while being very easy on the eyes and pretty forgiving for me.

Finally we have the Slingshots. I have a hard time describing this club. On some clean shots I was left with a "chunky" sort of feedback while others were smooth. Distance wise this club was one of the better clubs, but distance isn't everything and the feel oddities may take this club off of my list.

So currently the clubs that made the cut are:

• Ping i10
• Ping G10
• Callaway X-20
• Taylor Made R7
• Nike Slingshot 4D

As always any feedback/questions/suggestions are welcome and greatly appreciated!
Inside the OGIO Exodus

I would have to say that any clubs rated 9 and above are in great condition, with 9.5 basically being brand new(ebay ratings). There is never any cost to demo clubs at a good shop lik Golfsmith or PGA Superstore.

Driver: Sasquatch Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila NV Stiff
Fw: Sasquatch 4wd Reg.
3 Iron: Burner Stiff
4-Pw: Ta5 Reg.
Sand Wedge: Reg. 588 56Lob Wedge: 588 DSG 60Putter: Studio Stainless NewportBall: Pro-V1 (When I can afford them)Home Course: Sunridge Canyon in Fountain Hills, AZ

I would have to say that any clubs rated 9 and above are in great condition, with 9.5 basically being brand new(ebay ratings). There is never any cost to demo clubs at a good shop lik Golfsmith or PGA Superstore.

As for fitting I've gone with the pro shop fitter. Given all the factors he seemed the best choice and after having gone a few times I say I am very happy with my choice. Any thoughts on the clubs I've hit and liked or even not liked so far? Any suggestions on clubs to try out?
Inside the OGIO Exodus

I would recommend the r7's, I was going to get the standards but decided to get the TP's. I like the smaller "blade" look of the club and they are a little bit easier to work for me.

I think I read somewhere on here that price wasnt that much of a problem, and if thats the case I have heard nothing but good things about the CGB's from Taylormade. They create mid to high launch and have and extreme amount of forgivness in them.

Taylormade is a good brand to choose from just on recognition, but you cant replace the way a club feels in your hands.
In My Bridgestone Stand Bag:

Driver: TM r7 425 TP (8.5*) Stiff
Wood: TM Ti 5 Wood (18*) Stiff
Irons: TM r7 TP Irons (3-PW) RegularGW LW: TM rac Satin TPs ( 52* 56* 60*)Putter: TM Rossa Monza Spider Balls: Bridgestone B330s

Note: This thread is 5919 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!