Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aguirre

I have room for a club in my bag, what should I get?

9 posts in this topic

Currently, the clubs I use and their distances:

Driver: 230-240, the rest of the clubs measured off the dirt:

3W: 210

5W: 195

7W: 182

9W: 170

6I: 160

7I: 150

8I: 140

9I: 130

PW: 120

SW: 100

LW: 80

I can step on all those clubs and get an extra five yards if I have to.  I just do a lower finish and draw them a bit.

Currently I have a 5I in my bag but since it goes about the same distance as the 9W and I hit the 9W better it gets reserved for punch shots.  I pull it about once every five rounds or so.

I'm thinking of getting a 64 degree wedge.  I'm not very good at taking distance off clubs, so I have real trouble sometimes from the 50-60 yard distance.  I often end up just hitting a REALLY HARD pitch and I don't think it's very productive.

Do you agree that this is probably my best plan?  And does anyone have experience with a 64?

Thanks in advance.

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I suppose you could go with a GW as well... Something for that 110 yd range.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah, but that seems to be less of a problem.  50-60 yards seems more common.  Third shot on Par 5s, forced (or unintentional) layups on Par 4s.  Plus, knocking 10 yards off a 120 yard club (8.3%) is easier than knocking 20-30 yards off an 80 yard club (~31.25%).

At least, that's the way it seems to me.

I've got a 64° and can hit it about 45-50 max. One thing I will say is that it will get the up and up and up. And it will land soft dead on a dime. I typically use it closer to the green for flops and super-flops or to get out of really really deep bunkers.

I've got a 64° and can hit it about 45-50 max. One thing I will say is that it will get the up and up and up. And it will land soft dead on a dime. I typically use it closer to the green for flops and super-flops or to get out of really really deep bunkers.

See, that sounds good to me.  The problem with taking a ton off my LW swing to hit it 50 yards is that it kills the spin.

How far do you hit your other wedges?

I've had this same debate myself many times. I ended up just spending a bunch of time practicing with my 52 and 56 and learned the shots I needed with those. Now pretty much anything from that distance in is a 52.

My 64 is both my favorite club in the bag and the one that's been with me the most years. I tend to usually go for the pin so I short side myself alot. The 64 is great when you have so little green to work with. Now keep in mind that I set up with my weight very forward and chip/pitch with more of a putting stroke so I'm delofting the club to about 60 or less but can still hit the super flop when I need to.

My 64 is both my favorite club in the bag and the one that's been with me the most years. I tend to usually go for the pin so I short side myself alot. The 64 is great when you have so little green to work with. Now keep in mind that I set up with my weight very forward and chip/pitch with more of a putting stroke so I'm delofting the club to about 60 or less but can still hit the super flop when I need to.

Sounds like you pitch like me.

I can't find a lefty one of these anywhere.  I'm going to just buy a $30 Acer off Ebay, see how it goes.  It's pretty much all I've found.

Go here:

http://www.tgw.com/customer/search2.jsp?scid=1082&a1042;=left&a1083;=64.0&sortmfr;=N