IGNORED

Could my upright lie be affecting my set up?

nebneb5813
Note: This thread is 3579 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I got fitted a while ago to the AP1s with a 2 degree upright lie. My swing had since changed dramatically. My golf instructor has been trying to change around my set up position. My club was pointed north of my belt buckle and he has been trying to change it so it points at my belt buckle. While endeavoring to make the changes on the range, I filmed myself and discovered that my club was still pointing north of my belt buckle during my set up. It felt like my hands were relaxed and my club was no in an upright position anymore, but upon watching the film of myself, I was proved wrong. Could my difficulties with pointing my club at my belt buckle be because of the 2 degrees upright lie I have on my irons? Thoughts?

I presume you mean could your set up be affecting your lie? I dunno, possibly! When I got fitted, I had a bit of a lesson, then a short while after I had a lesson with someone else, they both got me hitting the ball better, even though they clearly had different ideas on my backswing plane! As it happens I "think" the fitting turned out ok, but i wish I had waited a while longer, I would now always recommend a person to have an almost consistent, or at the very least a comfortable regular swing BEFORE getting fitted! No point in getting fitted for a crappy swing that you will inevitably change once you realise it's crappy! And I think you swing plane will affect your lie more than your set up will, but then again a poor set up can effect everything! My iron set up, I always keep the club grip level with the ball, not in front or behind! It works for me, but I see others with the grip forward in front if the ball, and it can work for them!!

Gaz Lee

I see I also missed your point! Sorry! I've actually never checked where my club butt is pointing! Interesting point! I'm always thinking about getting my weight/balance comfortably towards the balls of my feet while reaching for the ball without stretching for it (if that makes sense?) while allowing my arms to hang down under my chin, I've never even looked where my club butt is pointing!!! I too am now wondering if this is important?

Gaz Lee

I just got fitted with AP2s, one degree upright and shaft lengthened quarter of an inch. All I know is that I now hit the ball in the centre of the club face. AP2s great btw.

Ping G25 Driver 9.5 degree

Cobra Baffler 3 wood 16 degree

Titleist 913hybrid 19 and 23 degree

Titleist AP2 714 5 - 9 irons

Titleist Vokey SM5 50 , 54, 58 degree

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Putter

Note: This thread is 3579 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!