IGNORED

help me understand?

Note: This thread is 3581 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

if I get fitted for ping irons and I ask for a extra inch added does ping adjust the clubs for flex, lie, and loft? or do they just put a longer club shaft in the head I'm fitted for? thanks Tom

Why would you get your shafts made longer than the fitting recommendation? Pretty much defeats the purpose of getting fitted in the first place.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

if I get fitted for ping irons and I ask for a extra inch added does ping adjust the clubs for flex, lie, and loft?

or do they just put a longer club shaft in the head I'm fitted for?

thanks

Tom

Why an inch over..? If the fitter says you need longer shafts, fine, but to request a longer shaft baffles me. Care to shed a bit more light on your question..?

if I get fitted for ping irons and I ask for a extra inch added does ping adjust the clubs for flex, lie, and loft?

or do they just put a longer club shaft in the head I'm fitted for?

thanks

Tom

PING, or any other company, will only do what you tell them to do. If you told them you want an inch over and black color code, they won't actually make it purple because the extra length makes it play more upright.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

if I get fitted for ping irons and I ask for a extra inch added does ping adjust the clubs for flex, lie, and loft? or do they just put a longer club shaft in the head I'm fitted for? thanks Tom

I'm not sure I understand this question, but if you know you prefer a longer stick, say, for comfort reasons, then I would state this before the fitting! They would most likely then test you for loft and lie on that length! There's no point getting loft and lie tested then adding an inch!

Gaz Lee

sorry I told the fitter to add a inch to the set. he didn't look very happy when I requested the extra inch, got the set last year, been hitting off the heel a lot change swing to get more toward the toe/center. I thought I would gain distance going longer but I think I'm loosing distance. Tom

Well then flattening them 1° to make up for the length is the smart thing to do to get what you want in length. Not Magic at all.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

sorry I told the fitter to add a inch to the set. he didn't look very happy when I requested the extra inch, got the set last year, been hitting off the heel a lot change swing to get more toward the toe/center. I thought I would gain distance going longer but I think I'm loosing distance.

Tom

Yeah you won't really gain much speed going longer, adding an inch just made them heavier.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

thanks I cut a 1/2 inch off my wedge and seven iron before playing today. those two clubs worked great for me today, I'm going to trim 1/2 inch off all my irons and see what happens. I can't believe that taking that little off makes the club feel that much lighter. Tom.

I cut 1/2 inch off all my irons. they feel much better to swing, at the range tonight I could catch the sweet spot better. even getting a better sound off the face even when hit near the toe. ball distance is a lot better. can now hit my 5 iron darn good. I really can not believe what a difference a 1/2 inch makes. I will give it a week for the newness to ware off and report back. only thing that bugs me now is I cut my 6 down 3/4 not a 1/2 and I still have good gaping almost makes me want to take another 1/4 off all the other clubs :). thanks Tom

Tom this is Tom also. Dont do it, unless you just have to see for yourself, in which case I will hold the saw. You are messing with the accuracy, and were it a rifle scope, that would be the horizontal bar. Of course your bullet, given the analogy, would need to actually get to the target. That said, the leverage of length you are removing will effect a difference, of some sort, in distances, which would be analogous to the vertical alignment or how high you aim the barrel.. Its a lot like dating twins. They look the same on the surface, but underneath...look out. Dont fail to realize you could change the lie and accomplish much of the same effect.
  • Upvote 1

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

actually my accuracy improved except for my pw (ping W). it goes left but was doing that when it was a 1/2 longer. I won't take the pipe cutter to them again. I'm am just amazed that 1/2 inch makes such a difference almost to the point where the shaft dosnt feel so wobbly on the down swing. trickyputt if I do make another cut I'm holding u to working the saw :). Tom

I fear no modification!

Tom R.

Note: This thread is 3581 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!