IGNORED

My Swing (davechen)

davechen
Note: This thread is 3114 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Keep going. Looks like it's heading in the right direction. Two things to be aware of:

Make sure it's more of a hip turn on the backswing and a bit less of a sway.

Keep the hips going forward at setup: you're about 62% at impact when most pros would be 85-95%.

I looked at your recent video. The bold is still very relevant. Have a look.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ok. I'll work on trying to get more hip turn and stopping the swaying.

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

• 4 months later...

I recently bought a new driver, a Ping G30.  With the cold weather, I haven't been able to take it out on the course, but I've gone to the range a couple times.  It's definitely longer and straighter than my old TM Tour Burner TP.  The ball jumps off the club face quicker and my fades fade less.

As far as my swing goes, I've been working on not swaying.  I don't have a face on view, since I just put my phone on the wall behind me.  But I think I am getting better about turning my hips and not swaying backwards.  I've been also trying to get a more complete shoulder turn.

Also, as often suggested here, I've been trying to flare my feet out.  For me, I can open up my front foot, no problem.  I don't really flare my back foot much.  But I think just opening up the front foot has allowed me to make a fuller turn.

By the way, Instagram does a better job of reproducing my iPhone's slo-mo video:

http://instagram.com/p/xwnx_CrQ5h/?modal=true

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons

• 6 months later...

Welp, I finally got off my arse and signed up for Evolvr.  Here's the video that I sent in:

3 swings with a driver, down the line and face on.

Brian's analysis, which is pretty much the same as what Erik said, was that I need to keep my hips forward, i.e., not sway.  So I've started to try and do that, get better shoulder rotation and maintain my spine angle.  Unfortunately I started trying to change my swing right before I had a league match, so my swing was kind of goofed up.

Here's a video of me hitting a 6 iron.  I'm over doing the butt forward thing, I think.

Gotta spend more time at the range so it doesn't feel so awkward.

• Administrator

Good. Use this thread, if I may suggest, to document the changes you make to your swings and the lessons you get from evolvr. That way, in addition to having the videos you download, you'll have your notes and instant reactions and progress checks here in your thread.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Good. Use this thread, if I may suggest, to document the changes you make to your swings and the lessons you get from evolvr. That way, in addition to having the videos you download, you'll have your notes and instant reactions and progress checks here in your thread.

Will do.  Is it all right to post the Evolvr analysis videos?  Or is that proprietary or anything like that?

• Administrator
Will do.  Is it all right to post the Evolvr analysis videos?  Or is that proprietary or anything like that?

I'd just keep those to yourself. You're paying for them, after all… and honestly, someone else might try "your" lesson but not have exactly your patterns or priorities, and it may goof them up even if it's the right piece for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the 2nd video I sent in to Evolvr.  6 iron, 3 swings down the line and 3 swings face on.  Brian's comments back were very complementary, so that was really nice.  The only real thing he pointed out was that he wanted my hip turn to follow the shoulder turn.

I've been emphasizing the hip turn since that has been my main issue.  So I was kind of leading with the hip turn and maybe over doing it.  Now that I'm getting the feel of it, I guess it should more naturally follow the shoulder turn.

I have to say this whole things has really improved my ball striking.  I still need to work on grooving the swing and not falling back on old, bad habits.  But I am really pleased with the way my swing is coming along.  I've found that if I do a smooth, slow backswing with the proper turn, I can really go hard at the downswing.  I'm not worried about pulling or slicing the ball all over the place.  And thus with a faster swing I'm getting more distance.

Here's the 2nd video I sent in to Evolvr.  6 iron, 3 swings down the line and 3 swings face on.  Brian's comments back were very complementary, so that was really nice.  The only real thing he pointed out was that he wanted my hip turn to follow the shoulder turn.

I've been emphasizing the hip turn since that has been my main issue.  So I was kind of leading with the hip turn and maybe over doing it.  Now that I'm getting the feel of it, I guess it should more naturally follow the shoulder turn.

I have to say this whole things has really improved my ball striking.  I still need to work on grooving the swing and not falling back on old, bad habits.  But I am really pleased with the way my swing is coming along.  I've found that if I do a smooth, slow backswing with the proper turn, I can really go hard at the downswing.  I'm not worried about pulling or slicing the ball all over the place.  And thus with a faster swing I'm getting more distance.

Looking good!

I've been working on this piece in bold for about a month and a half. I've noticed when I get fatigued late in the round, my hip turn slows down.

Good luck!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 2 months later...

Hello again.  This is the most recent video I sent in to Evolvr, 3 DTL and 3 FO swings.  My main issue now is trying to get more of an inside-out swing to fix my occasional pull/fade.  

On my last video, Brian suggested laying another alignment club going off to the right and swing along that line.  I wasn't still quite getting the hang of it, especially on the course.  So after this video, he suggested the "closed face" drill, closing the face and the trying to start the ball off to the right.

I went to the range tonight and I think I'm starting to get the hang of it.  Also he said my club was a bit steep at the top, so at the range I tried shallowing it.  And I have to say, I was killing the ball.  It felt great!  I am hitting the ball so much better since starting the Evolvr lessons.

Also I got Ping G30 irons this seasons, and I really love them.  Part of me thinks about getting more player, less game improvement clubs, but I'm hitting these things really, really well right now.

Hello again.  This is the most recent video I sent in to Evolvr, 3 DTL and 3 FO swings.  My main issue now is trying to get more of an inside-out swing to fix my occasional pull/fade.  

On my last video, Brian suggested laying another alignment club going off to the right and swing along that line.  I wasn't still quite getting the hang of it, especially on the course.  So after this video, he suggested the "closed face" drill, closing the face and the trying to start the ball off to the right.

I went to the range tonight and I think I'm starting to get the hang of it.  Also he said my club was a bit steep at the top, so at the range I tried shallowing it.  And I have to say, I was killing the ball.  It felt great!  I am hitting the ball so much better since starting the Evolvr lessons.

Also I got Ping G30 irons this seasons, and I really love them.  Part of me thinks about getting more player, less game improvement clubs, but I'm hitting these things really, really well right now.

It is looking good, but take care to not sway back in the backswing. I am working on the exact same thing at the moment. I don't have Analyzer on this laptop, but in the face on video watch how your left hip drifts back in the backswing from setup to A4. The light pole behind your left hip is a good reference. You get your weight going back forward by impact, but your starting point has shifted back.

What this does is not leave enough space for our arms and right elbow at the start of the downswing. The right elbow can get stuck behind. This causes the club head path to have to go around and it becomes out to in at impact.

Review this video from the How to Make a Centered Hip Turn thread.  

• Upvote 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

Yeah, that hip turn is something that I had worked on in previous Evolvr lessons.  I guess the swaying has creeped back in.  I'll have to work on it some more.

Yeah, that hip turn is something that I had worked on in previous Evolvr lessons.  I guess the swaying has creeped back in.  I'll have to work on it some more.

It does for me too. I thought I had it cured, but when I focus on something else, the bad habit came back. Keep up the good work though and have fun!

• Upvote 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 3114 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!