Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
18rounds

11 year old driver

3 posts in this topic

How much difference is there between today's drivers and the drivers from a decade ago? I have just went from playing 1 or 2 times a year to getting much more serious about my game. I have not broken 100 yet but I am making great progress. My last game I scored my first birdie. My driver is a TaylorMade r580 xd that appears to be a 2003 club. How dramatic of a difference would a high handicapper notice switching to a current model driver? Respectfully,

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

IMO, technique and skill account for 90% of golf success at our level. Clubs 5%, ball 1`% and confidence the balance. When your skill level increases better sticks may help to lower score and increase confidence.  If $$ is no problem, buy whatever suits you.

Half the readers  here prefer the max size driver head, 460cc.  The other half hate them

Have to agree with Joe, if you hit it well, hang onto it for a while. You probably won't see a big improvement with a new driver and some of the shafts have gotten longer, causing a whole new set of challenges.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades