IGNORED

A little about myself.

Twan013
Note: This thread is 6073 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys, how goes all? Not too bad here. Anyway, I'm new to the forum, semi-new to the golf scene.

As kids, me and my cousins always went to my great-uncle's house to practice our swing on his "driving range". It was really just his front yard that crossed the road into a huge field (approx. 2 acres deep).

So, long story short, now i'm wanting to find myself a decent set of clubs and hit the ranges on a weekly basis and courses at least on a monthly basis. My question is this: can I trust the Wal-mart sets for training and learning? I was going to get a set from there about a year ago for approx. $150, but was told not to do that because of their bad quality. But earlier today, i read on golf.about.com, and several other sites, that one of these sets are good for beginners because the more expensive sets require special methods of swinging, etc. Either way, I know I will have to have extensions put on them, because i'm 6'4". But how much of an extension, and won't I have to change the angle of the head or something?

• 2 weeks later...
For a beginner, even at your height you wont need extensions. Once you begin making consistently solid contact, invest in some good used clubs. You can get tips added under the grip-relatively inexpensively.

Driver: Taylor Made 425 TP 9.5 ProLaunch 65 Stiff
3 Wood: Taylor Made V-Steel 15 deg Stiff
Hybrid: Taylor Made Rescue Dual 19 deg stiff
Irons: Titleist 704.cb stiff
Wedges: 52 deg Cleveland CG10, 56 deg Titleist Vokey spin-milled, 60 deg Vokey oil canPutter: Original 2-ball, Claw grip.

well, i had read in a golf magazine that even a small extension would make a big difference... in posture... the article said something along the lines of golf clubs are generally made to fit people up to 5'9", and say, a 2 inch extension would be good for people up to 6'1" or something like that... I don't remember the exact wording, because i was at a doctor's office and i wanted to hurry up and get out of there... i was waiting on my mom to get a shot..

a-ha! from golf.about.com....

"The standard, off-the-shelf length for golf clubs corresponds to a male who is 5-foot-10. If you are around that size, then standard will probably work just fine. If much shorter or taller, get fitted."

how much is "much" taller??

its not your height that determines the length of the shaft, its how far your wrists are from the ground. i am 6'3" and 1/2" extensions for me...

imho, for just starting, get the walmart set. see if you like the game first. if you do, look into a nice set of used clubs.

Driver- TM 580XD 9*
3w- Adams GT extreme 15*
2H- Snake Eyes 653TH
4-gw Snake Eyes Viper Tour 1/2" long, 2 degrees up
wedges:TM chrome RAC 56*putter: Odyssey 2 ball DFX ball: Srixon Z-URC

Note: This thread is 6073 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!