IGNORED

My swing (mjs16)

mjs16
Note: This thread is 3518 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here I'll post the full 4 swings (one video) I took with my 5 iron. The first one started out good but faded instead of drew. (You can see the ball flight) The 2nd one was HORRIBLY bad (WAY right) The 3rd and 4th were as beautiful as they come. Right at what I was trying to aim at with a slight draw. [video]http://youtu.be/ar3rFh-QO5I[/video]

• Administrator

The facts of the matter:

• Your ball starts left.
  • Your ball fades or slices.

This means your path is WELL to the left. At the end of the day, you're getting hung up on the wrong things. Your feet are right but your shoulders are square to left. Still not the thing on which you want to get hung up.

This image shows everything that Mike is talking about and more.

On the left, you've got the handle at a certain depth. Now obviously you don't hit the ball with the handle, but you do with the clubhead, and the clubhead is inside the hands. You don't swing like Tim Clark - where he goes across the line at the top (clubhead to ball distance is small) then lay the club down. You stay relatively steep, keeping the distance from the clubhead to the ball very small.

You use up a lot of the "room" you have to keep the clubhead "inside" the ball by not ever getting it very far inside the ball to begin with. You want to keep the path of the club going to the right and yet you never get it very far to the left. Any movement to the right at all is likely to put the clubhead too far to the right…

… which is what we see in the right picture. The clubhead is swinging slightly over the top - that blur indicates that it's doing so - and your path is swinging left. This despite the fact that your torso and hips are super-closed at this point in your swing.

You swing left. Please just fix the stance/setup stuff to be a bit less mis-matched, then go back to review the video @mvmac posted because THAT, not the little stuff in your setup, is what's important right now.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think maybe that's why the camera angle was off, because those shots were starting dead straight (I remember I was there :-) ) I set up the camera right behind me instead of behind the ball along the target line. Regardless I will watch the video and work on those things :-)

I think maybe that's why the camera angle was off, because those shots were starting dead straight (I remember I was there )

I set up the camera right behind me instead of behind the ball along the target line.

Regardless I will watch the video and work on those things

Just because the ball went straight doesn't mean the path wasn't left.

You should set the camera up like this

http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

Does what @iacas said make sense? He laid it all for you right there, very valuable information.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Yes I just wanted to make sure he/you werw basing your thoughts on the right information. Maybe I'll take a new video based on your link and I'll indicate where my target is, just so we're all on the same page from the start :) Are there any positives you can give me that I'm doing that I should keep doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs16 View Post

Yes I just wanted to make sure he/you werw basing your thoughts on the right information.

Maybe I'll take a new video based on your link and I'll indicate where my target is, just so we're all on the same page from the start :)

You're still hung up on the wrong thing here, where the target is doesn't change the fact that your path is LEFT and the way your set-up doesn't help, it promotes an INward path.

As Erik said,

Quote:

The facts of the matter:

• Your ball starts left.
  • Your ball fades or slices.

This means your path is WELL to the left. At the end of the day, you're getting hung up on the wrong things. Your feet are right but your shoulders are square to left. Still not the thing on which you want to get hung up.

Mike McLoughlin

• Administrator
I set up the camera right behind me instead of behind the ball along the target line.

If that pole is your true target, then you're aiming your body WAY right of it.

If you chose a "target" that was far enough left, you could even be hitting pushes that slice after that!

I'll put it another way: you're hitting pull-cuts, you're just aiming far enough right that you think they start "on the target line."

Pulls that cut indicate that your path is WELL left (INward for a righty).

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
The pole isn't the target. The target was a sign that was hidden by my torso.

What I am saying is the shot in the video started at the sign and drew.

Your ball starts well left of your body alignment - even left of your shoulders. You pull the golf ball. Just because you aim way to the right of your target doesn't change that. In fact, the opposite is true - it makes it more likely you'll pull the ball because your target is "over there" (left, in Pull Land).

Regardless, this "did you pull it or not" stuff is beside the point.

Good luck.

The pole isn't the target. The target was a sign that was hidden by my torso. I'm not saying I'm not swinging left. What I am saying is the shot in the video started at the sign and drew.

Ok, I think I know where the confusion is. (Deep breath) here we go: I'm saying "straight" because it's starting where I intended it to, you're saying "left" because it's left of my setup. So in reality, when I do get it to draw (50-50) I'm actually hitting a pull-hook.

I'm saying "straight" because it's starting where I intended it to, you're saying "left" because it's left of my setup.

So in reality, when I do get it to draw (50-50) I'm actually hitting a pull-hook.

Or a pull-draw, correct

Mike McLoughlin

Your ball starts well left of your body alignment - even left of your shoulders. You pull the golf ball. Just because you aim way to the right of your target doesn't change that. In fact, the opposite is true - it makes it more likely you'll pull the ball because your target is "over there" (left, in Pull Land). Regardless, this "did you pull it or not" stuff is beside the point. Good luck.

The reason it was important to me to get the semantics right was to fully grasp what you're trying to teach me and why. I'll watch your video again, work on things and repost, cool?

Note: This thread is 3518 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!