IGNORED

Hitting mat suggestions please

Note: This thread is 6078 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you are just going to use it for short yardages, you dont really need a top of the line mat. For $50 you can get 2, one fairway, and one simulated rough.

http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/17izzrouchpmat.html
http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/17izzchpdrvmat.html
In My Bag
Driver: R5 TP 9.5 Diamana
3 Wood: V-Steel 15* UST V2
5 Wood: R7 Steel
Hybrids: Heavenwood 20* UST V2 Rescue Mid 22* UST V2Irons: RAC LT2 5-9 Project X FlightedWedges: RAC Black TP 47* 51* 55* 60*Putter: White Hot 2 BallBalls: One Black

I have never used those mats, so I can really answer those questions. CHeck here for manufacturer details about the products.

http://www.izzo.com/trainingGear_home.asp

As far as getting them to stay in place, I am sure you can always poke a few holes in the corners and run some stakes into the ground.
In My Bag
Driver: R5 TP 9.5 Diamana
3 Wood: V-Steel 15* UST V2
5 Wood: R7 Steel
Hybrids: Heavenwood 20* UST V2 Rescue Mid 22* UST V2Irons: RAC LT2 5-9 Project X FlightedWedges: RAC Black TP 47* 51* 55* 60*Putter: White Hot 2 BallBalls: One Black

This is going to sound really stupid, but it does work (and is cheap.)

Get the head off a push-broom. Lay it on the ground birstle side up, and hit off of it. The bistles are stiff enough to support the ball and club, and it allows you to hit down into it like you are taking a divot (unlike mats.)

The downside is you have to build a platform to hit off of (about 3 inches) and you look really stupid hitting balls off a broom head.

The upside is you don't have to worry about damaging your clubs by pounding them into a mat, or altering your game by subconsiously avoiding taking divots practicing on a mat.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

This is going to sound really stupid, but it does work (and is cheap.) Get the head off a push-broom. Lay it on the ground birstle side up, and hit off of it. The bistles are stiff enough to support the ball and club, and it allows you to hit down into it like you are taking a divot (unlike mats.)

It does not sound stupid at all. I like it except for the building a platform part. I might consider digging a hole and placing the head into it so the bristles are about even with the ground. I assume it will forgive fat shots, but this set-up will be for hacks and non-players so that is probably a good thing. Anyone know where I can get an extra wide one (front to back)?

I am also considering a Dura-Pro High Tech mat http://www.dwquailgolf.com/training/highTechMat.html Anyone use one of these?

I use a mat from:

http://www.realfeelgolfmats.com/

I don't particularly like their web site but I'd say it does work as advertised. They have full mats and hitting strips (I have a full mat). It's much nicer than any driving range mat I've evey seen.

Big clubs: :titleist: 915D3 @ 9.5°, :callaway: X-Hot Pro 3W
Med clubs: :callaway: X-Hot Pro 5W, :titleist: 910H 4H,
Small clubs: :callaway: X-Hot Pro 5-AW, :titleist: Vokey 55.10, 60.10

Just get some high pile carpet scraps....they work just fine.
Rynofskie

In My Well-Used Highlander Bag:

Driver:Redline RPM 9.5* Driver - TourLaunch Blue Shaft Rescue: "The Ripper" wal-mart special 3HybridIrons: ADAMS GT500 Undercut Widesole 4-LWPutter: Ray Cook custom mallet putterGuns don't kill people - the proper application of sight alignment, target...

Just get some high pile carpet scraps....they work just fine.

That was my first thought and may be what I end up doing.

I use a mat from: http://www.realfeelgolfmats.com/ I don't particularly like their web site but I'd say it does work as advertised. They have full mats and hitting strips (I have a full mat). It's much nicer than any driving range mat I've evey seen.

I looked at those, but the website irritated me so much I took them off the list. I am a Surly Bastage after all.

Any other recommendations?

It does not sound stupid at all. I like it except for the building a platform part.

One big advantage of hitting off a platform is you can mark it. I have vertical lines marked with:

My shoulder width, Left armpit (driver ball position), Center (short iron ball position), 1/2 way between armpit and center (long iron ball position). I have several horizontal lines marked that I used to square my stance. I also have my "setup checklist" written down the right hand side. Now when I'm practicing I at least know I'm in the correct positon.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

Note: This thread is 6078 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!