IGNORED

Should I have my new 3-Iron Bent 1 Degree Strong?

km782
Note: This thread is 3664 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently bought a set of the Mizuno JPX-825 Pro irons and they are great.  The only thing I don't like is there is no 3-iron.  I think I am going to buy the Mizuno MP-H5 3-iron as a replacement.  The JPX-825 Pro's are all 1 degree stronger than the MP-H5's.  So, I was thinking that I would have the new iron bent one degree strong so that it fits with the rest of my set.

The bounce on the 3-iron is already 0 degrees, so will bending the club for a stronger loft make the bounce go negative?  What worries me is I am already a digger (that's why I think the JPX-825 Pros work so well for me) so will the change in bounce be noticeable?

Would it be better to have the 2-iron bent 2 degrees weak and make the lie and shaft length adjustments to match the 3-iron?  But, maybe that would make the bounce too high?

Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance for the help

The MP5 irons have Full Hollow Long Iron heads in 1i - 6i. I would contact Mizuno to make sure they can be bent for loft.

You might consider a JPX FLI-HI 3, which has a loft of 19* and a shaft length of 38.75" (same length as H5 3i). The latest  FLI-HI  clubhead, however, has more of a hybrid than an iron look.

If you're set on having a bridge club that has an iron look, consider going outside Mizuno. Mike Stachura has an article on FWs vs. driving irons in the October Golf Digest issue (p. 39). Callaway, Srixon and TaylorMade all have driving irons.

For example, the Apex UI 3i has a loft of 21°, but a shaft length of 39.5"; this is + 0.75" longer than the MP5 3i. So, the extra shaft length might give you extra distance over the 4i.

The TaylorMade UDI #3 has a 20° loft / 2° bounce and a 38.75" shaft, so you might consider it also

Again, you would have to test out the 3i or whatever to make sure the distance gap between the 4i is something you like - provided you can hit the 3i well.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As WUT, said I would consult before I had one of those bent.

An experienced club guy once told me that for a bend to be effective and retain the bend, it needed to be 2 degrees.

Not to be a smart- - -, but do you really think you will notice 1 degree?  I think it takes 4 degrees and a half inch of shaft to make 10 yards, so I am thinking 1 degree would be like 1-2 yards? So when you hit a 3 iron, are all your shots within 3 ft short or 3 ft past the target?  I understand your point of having even gaps, but as WUT said, it might be more useful to think out side the box and look at a different club entirlely to get what you want in yardage and trajectory.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

So, I was thinking that I would have the new iron bent one degree strong so that it fits with the rest of my set.

The bounce on the 3-iron is already 0 degrees, so will bending the club for a stronger loft make the bounce go negative?

so will the change in bounce be noticeable?

Would it be better to have the 2-iron bent 2 degrees weak and make the lie and shaft length adjustments to match the 3-iron?  But, maybe that would make the bounce too high?

Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance for the help

The effects which it would cause on "Bounce" - NONE

If you would want to hit the 3 iron a bit longer, just move it back in your stance. It will fly lower and have less spin.

It really depends on what you are expecting when you play.

Are you looking for a high shot to carry 200 - 220?

Or a low lower shot for the same distance.

Also, depends if your use is only on a tee shot, or a long approach.

Describe what you are trying to achieve.

Clubs are usually adjusted for angle lie for a persons arm length and height.

Clubs tweaked for face angle are pretty tuff to do and tuff on the clubs.

Most adjustments are to the hosel of the club heads, for lie angle.

When a club is bent at the hosel forward to set the shaft position forward, this is what offset clubs were designed to do.

Having the hands just slightly forward at impact will give you the similar results.

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Note: This thread is 3664 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!