IGNORED

budget 1440p video card?

badandy519
Note: This thread is 3463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When I upgraded most of my desktop PC last fall, I skimped on the video card like always. I don't game much, mostly screw around with a couple older Madden and Triple Play sports games, so I've never spent much on graphics.

Got a new 2560x1440 monitor today and come to find out, my card only has a single link DVI output and will only run it at 1920x1080.

Looking around online, it seems some R7 240 cards come with dual link DVI and support 1440p, but mine doesn't? My card is: item 82E16814202055 on Newegg - I can't post the link - I ordered it a couple weeks after the new R series came out.

Just trying to make sure that I'm not overlooking something dumb before I go spend $100 or so on a new card.

Hopefully someone here can throw a little knowledge my way.  Thanks in advance! :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

[COLOR=C1C1C1]When I upgraded most of my desktop PC last fall, I skimped on the video card like always. I don't game much, mostly screw around with a couple older Madden and Triple Play sports games, so I've never spent much on graphics. [/COLOR][COLOR=C1C1C1] [/COLOR][COLOR=C1C1C1] [/COLOR][COLOR=C1C1C1]Got a new 2560x1440 monitor today and come to find out, my card only has a single link DVI output and will only run it at 1920x1080. [/COLOR][COLOR=C1C1C1] [/COLOR][COLOR=C1C1C1] [/COLOR][COLOR=C1C1C1]Looking around online, it seems some R7 240 cards come with dual link DVI and support 1440p, but mine doesn't? My card is: item [/COLOR]82E16814202055 on Newegg - I can't post the link - I ordered it a couple weeks after the new R series came out. [COLOR=C1C1C1] [/COLOR][COLOR=C1C1C1]Just trying to make sure that I'm not overlooking something dumb before I go spend $100 or so on a new card. [/COLOR] [COLOR=C1C1C1]Hopefully someone here can throw a little knowledge my way.  Thanks in advance!  [/COLOR]:-)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-2.html Always a good website for computer component reviews

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Yeah, I read toms, have a subscription to Maximum PC, build my own computers and all that fun stuff - but I'm not really all that tech-y when it comes down to it.  I was more asking specifically if there's any way I can possibly run a (my) single link DVI card in 1440p.  Googling it and my particular GPU gives all kinds of confounded answers, with dual monitor setups to get 3840x2160 with HDMI, supposedly supported 4k resolution (but not really) yada yada - or if I'm stuck and going to spend around $100 on a new card.

Yeah, I read toms, have a subscription to Maximum PC, build my own computers and all that fun stuff - but I'm not really all that tech-y when it comes down to it.  I was more asking specifically if there's any way I can possibly run a (my) single link DVI card in 1440p.  Googling it and my particular GPU gives all kinds of confounded answers, with dual monitor setups to get 3840x2160 with HDMI, supposedly supported 4k resolution (but not really) yada yada - or if I'm stuck and going to spend around $100 on a new card.

I don't think you are going to get that. From what I see DVI only handles a single output at max 1920x1200 resolution.

So unless you have a way to upscale the video, you need to use an HDMI output.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 3463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!