IGNORED

Bye Bye strokes, your thoughts on plus handicaps

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 6063 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That's likely always been the case. The low handicappers almost never win in net competitions.

I agree and next year I am sure I will enter fewer net events. And in the team events I need to find a solid 9 or 10 handicap partner in order to have a chance.

Personally, I'm in a weird spot myself. My handicap is low enough that I get put in the gross division(s), but not low enough that I have any chance to win. Yet in net, I get my clock cleaned even if I shoot below my handicap a stroke or two

That is a strange spot to be in I was there myself last year. Not enough pops to win net yet the scratch guys kicked my butt in gross. You are stuck, either drop 4 strokes (really friggin hard) or artificially increase your handicap (cheating). Its too bad but 3 and 4 handicappers are all in that same boat. It sucks.

Have you ever noticed the higher handicap the flight is in a tournament, the lower the winning score. This year in one of our tournaments I won the first flight with 142 gross. The second flight (6-10 handicaps) had a net winning score of 139. The third flight(11-17 handicaps) had a winning score of 136. And the last flight (18+ handicaps) had a winning score of 135. If the handicaps were correct shouldn't all the winning scores be about the same?
The purpose of the handicap system is to allow players of differing skill levels to compete on a "level" playing field, whether those players are better-than-scratch or not. Cutting off the system at zero would be arbitrary and would defeat the purpose of that system. Finally, as a scratch or near-scratch golfer, you've already been giving strokes to most of the golfers out there. As you continue to improve, you may find yourself giving maybe one or two more. Sounds fair to me.

Spoken like a 21 handicap.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Have you ever noticed the higher handicap the flight is in a tournament, the lower the winning score. This year in one of our tournaments I won the first flight with 142 gross. The second flight (6-10 handicaps) had a net winning score of 139. The third flight(11-17 handicaps) had a winning score of 136. And the last flight (18+ handicaps) had a winning score of 135. If the handicaps were correct shouldn't all the winning scores be about the same?

Because of the "average best" method calculation for handicaps, and the 0.96 factor, I just read that people should expect to play to their handicap only about 25% of the time. For example, I'm currently a 7.5, but have only had ONE individual round where my differential was 7.5 or lower. Of course, it is possible for any given tournament, for someone in that flight to have the round of the year, but if you're consistently seeing that net score move opposite the handicap of the flights, I'd say the sandbagging is strong in that group....!

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

• Administrator

Same reason as the thing I said before. Imagine you play 20% better than your handicap. For a 3, that's 0.6 or barely half a stroke. For a 25 handicap, that's five strokes better. So it kind of makes sense that that's true, yeah.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Congrats! No matter where you hail from, a handicap like that is something to shout about.

I also agree with the side conversation that iacas states. Those 15-handicaps are always capable of scoring to the next level.

Amazing, job well done on becoming scratch!

What's in my Mizuno Aerolite Stand bag:

r7 460 10.5*, stock Stiff Flex Shaft
CLK Fli-Hi 17* hybrid, Prolaunch Blue Stiff shaft
Slingshot Tour 21*, DGS300 shaft Baffler DWS Hybrid 26*, Aldila NVS-HL shaft MP-60 5-PW DG S300 shafts Tour Action 900 54*/12* WedgeVokey Spin Milled 58*/08* Wedge...

Nice job. That is a major accomplishment. When you figure that less than 1% of golfers are scratch or better, it's a huge deal. I would figure that number to be even lower if it is only counting golfers with actual handicaps. The majority of people who play do not have an official handicap, so you are in some rare air.

As far as the tournament discussion I can actually speak to both side a little bit. Granted I'm only a 16.9, but I have had several rounds where I heat up and can go much lower. It's my consistency that kills me. On the flip side, this year I was giving guys shots every round in my league. I know, it's a little sad that at 16.9 I'm 3 shots per 9 better than the next best guy. It was extremely frustrating to be giving guys a ton of strokes and knowing that I would have to play my best to have a chance. Like Erik said if I shoot 3 shots under my average I had a hell of a round. If a 36 shoots 3 shots under his average it means he probably got luck on 1 hole.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Note: This thread is 6063 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!