IGNORED

Hesitating on wich irons I should buy.

Note: This thread is 6083 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi evreyone! Well here I am hesitating again on wich irons I should get. Let me explain you what happen.

I read in GolfDigest about this swing "Stack & Tilt" and I tried to practice it to look if it worked for me. So I went to the range. And I was surprised with the results of this swing. All my shots were straight, mid launch and I think I recovered my distance with the irons. It also work perfect for my woods and driver. I was very happy because I was hitting them right.

Then, in there, they have the last gen X-Forged. So I asked him if I can try those. And I was surprised that I hit them well. Straight, mid launch and a bit longer than my irons. By this I don't want to say that I will buy the X-Forged, because I know I need a lower handicap.

So immediately the X-20 Tour come to my mind. But then I start thinking X-20 or X-20 Tour. I know that my handicap says "Get X-20's". But in the other hand I think, I will be playing more the rest of the year and next year. So is it really worth it to buy the X-20's and in 6 months (approximately) change them for the X-20 Tour? I say approximately, because it could be 6 months or could be more or could be less.

I know that maybe it sounds crazy but the lowest round I have was an 89. With 50 in the first 9 holes ans 39 in the other 9. That day the first 9 holes I was in pressure (I don't know why) but in the other 9 I was completely relaxed. And because of that 39 I think as an option the X-20 Tour. The problem with my actual irons is psicological. Becuase all the time I thin that I can't hit with them well, since I try one time the X-20's. I only think in change them, but the real thing is that doing my swing correctly I hit them very well, but I want to change them and I know that when I buy the new one's this psicological barrier will disappear.

So, my questions are:
- Which handicap I should have in order to use the X-20 Tour?
- What do you think about this irons?
- Which irons I should get?

I take some pics of my actual irons so you can have an idea.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...es0004pros.jpg

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...es0005pros.jpg

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...es0006pros.jpg

I hope you can get and idea of the offset of my actual irons.
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...es0007pros.jpg

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...es0008pros.jpg

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...es0009pros.jpg

Sorry about the lenght of the thread.

Thanks for your help.

Regards!

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

just going to say that you can't judge someone's ball-striking or iron play + consistency based on handicap alone.. someone may be amazing with their irons but be terrible with woods and short game and still end up having a 20+ handicap, and vice versa.. it just depends on how well you can hit the ball with your irons. x-20 tours are going to be less forgiving and probably give you a little more control in terms of shot making.. i'm sure you'll still be able to do it with x-20s though... so unless you really feel like you're a solid iron player, i would just go with the regular ones

XTD Pro - 9.5* - GD YSQ
GS Tour - 15* -GD Red Ice
Rescue TP - 17* - Fujikura TP
Idea Pro Gold - 20* - Mitsubishi JavlnFX
MP-30, 4-PW - Standard Lofts / 2* flat - TT DG RAC Z TP (54*/10*) X-Forged (60*/10*)Scotty Cameron TeI3 - 35"

just going to say that you can't judge someone's ball-striking or iron play + consistency based on handicap alone.. someone may be amazing with their irons but be terrible with woods and short game and still end up having a 20+ handicap, and vice versa.. it just depends on how well you can hit the ball with your irons. x-20 tours are going to be less forgiving and probably give you a little more control in terms of shot making.. i'm sure you'll still be able to do it with x-20s though... so unless you really feel like you're a solid iron player, i would just go with the regular ones

Thanks! I will consider that.

Regards

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

Buy which ever irons you hit well and feel confident over. Just because something is marketed as a "tour" iron, doesnt mean you have to have a certain handicap to use them well. I know personally, I would buy the tour version just because I prefer a thinner topline and less offset when I look down at a club. Choosing irons really comes down to two things, how well you hit them and if you like how they look when you are standing over a shot. A bad swing is going to produce a bad result, not matter how "forgiving" the iron is supposed to be. Some of these oversized cavity backs give you a little more room for error, but not as much as clubmakers like to advertise. Go with which ever iron you feel comfortable with. It doesnt matter if it says Tour or not.
In My Bag
Driver: R5 TP 9.5 Diamana
3 Wood: V-Steel 15* UST V2
5 Wood: R7 Steel
Hybrids: Heavenwood 20* UST V2 Rescue Mid 22* UST V2Irons: RAC LT2 5-9 Project X FlightedWedges: RAC Black TP 47* 51* 55* 60*Putter: White Hot 2 BallBalls: One Black

Buy which ever irons you hit well and feel confident over. Just because something is marketed as a "tour" iron, doesnt mean you have to have a certain handicap to use them well. I know personally, I would buy the tour version just because I prefer a thinner topline and less offset when I look down at a club. Choosing irons really comes down to two things, how well you hit them and if you like how they look when you are standing over a shot. A bad swing is going to produce a bad result, not matter how "forgiving" the iron is supposed to be. Some of these oversized cavity backs give you a little more room for error, but not as much as clubmakers like to advertise. Go with which ever iron you feel comfortable with. It doesnt matter if it says Tour or not.

Thank you very much. That is what I want to hear. Because when I test the 6 iron from the X-20's, yes I feel comfortable with them but I don't know the fact that the hosel and the topline are bigger I don't like them very much. As you say I prefer thinner hosel and topline. I will go to the store and tell them if they let me try the X-20 Tour. I'm almost sure that I will hit them good.

But thank you very much, your post help me a lot. Regards!

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

I have gone to fordged Blades Titlelist 690 mb's. These clubs are easier to hit hit then you might think. I tryed them at a demo day early this summer and was amazed at how easy they were to hit. Since then I have bought two sets on EBAY one for massachusetts and one for my Florida getaway. Now I am thinking about getting another set for my mini bag I keep behind my seat in my pick up truck.

Cobra FP, Mizuno MX25, easy to hit, but the best is just find somewhere and try them all and I almost would do it in 2 days, because you know golf is it's different every day. Mizuno MP57 they is going to be great.

Driver: Cobra HS9 X 9.0 YS Stiff
Hybrid: Cobra baffler DWS 16* NV Stiff
Hybrid: Cobra baffler DWS 20* NV Stiff
Irons: King Cobra FP 4-LW
Putter: Cobra Optica SL-01 Ball: Bridgestone B330

Buy irons with two thoughts in mind:

1. whatever makes you feel confident at address
2. Make sure you get fit for lie angle and for a shaft that fits your swing.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

I was in the same position you are in now. I bought the X-20 Tours and am so glad that I did. I have played more golf this season than I ever have, and I think I would have wanted to upgrade to by now, if I would have bought the X-20. The main point for me was that the X-20 Tours come with the rifle flighted shafts. The X-20 do not. You have to upgrade them. That makes the cost the same. I will admit, until I played a few rounds and got a lesson on the Tours, I lost some distance due to mishits. Now everything is golden. My handicap is improving and if I can get my short game under control the handicap will really drop.

Thanks for your comments!

Regards!

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

Note: This thread is 6083 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!