IGNORED

Buy a new driver or reshaft an old one?

Note: This thread is 4517 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm in dilemma and I need inputs from you guys especially clubfitter here in the forum.

The thing is my current driver is in R-flex stock shaft (see my sig for the model) and I seem to be losing huge distance by balooning most my shots due to the shaft being whippy. My ball flight pattern is high fade. I was analyzed at this local proshop and indeed the shaft was too flexible for my swing. The results of the analysis are as follows (I took a peek at the computer screen):

- Swing speed of approximately 94 mph of controlled swing, which means I can swing a little more faster than that if I want to kill the ball.

- Side spin is measured around 150-200ish to the right.

- Launch angle ranges from 11-15 deg.

- Ball carry is approximately 210-220 yards.

These are what I remembered from that fitting session and I was sentenced with UST ProForce V2 60g either Regular or Stiff flex by the certified clubfitter.

Another problem is I'm almost into buying the r7 SuperQuad 10.5deg stock shaft with 65g Re*Ax regular flex, which I think is an upgrade version of what I have now. I've tried the SuperQuad and it's (way) longer than my r7 460. Even my golf buddies who I used to outdrive, now they are outdriving me since they've bought the r7 SuperQuad.

What do you guys think? Should I reshaft or buy a new driver? Reshafting costs around $150 and buying new r7 SuperQuad is around $270 from a trusted seller on eBay. Pricier, but new.

Please, help me to decide. Also let me know the pros, cons and your recommendations. Thanks in advance!

What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

I owned both a R7 Draw R Shaft and a Superquad with Profoce V2 Stiff shaft this season. I have about the same swing speed as you. From my experience there was no real big difference in distance between the 2.
I wouldn't spend the money on the shaft, you should be able to pick up a superquad for closer to $200 I sold my mint shape one for that much and only paid $230 for it when I got it. Then put yours up and you should get close to $100 for it. Get the new club for the price of a shaft.

L4V M Speed
Insight XTD Hybrid 3 Wood
Insight XTD Hybrid 5 Wood
Idea A30S Hybrid 4 and 5 Irons
09 Burner Irons 6-AW CG14 WedgesF7 2 Ball Putter w/ dyssey Jumbo Grip Grom Bag

I agree with Jaybone.

Swing = Stacked and On Plane when possible.
In My Bag:
Driver: Ping G5 9° Alidila NV 75g Stiff
3-Wood: Nike SQ 15° Diamana Stiff (Stock)
Irons: NIKE FORGED SPLIT CAVIY (S300)Wedges: Taylormade RAC Fe2O3 (Rust) 52°/56°/60°Putter: Titleist/Cameron Newport 1.5Ball: Looking for a new...

If you've tried the SuperQuad and you know it works for you then why would you spend $150 on an experiment?
Go with the sure thing and don't look back.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5* | Rad Tour 18.5* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

reshafting can be expensive...the cost of a decent quality shaft can be in the $80 to $100 range...with an added cost of $20 for labor and $5~$10 for grip....

i spent $120 yesterday to reshaft my 3 wood...i could have sold my 3 wood for $50 (or less) and bought a new 3 wood....but...thought just custom fitting my old would be best and hassle free.....

I'm in dilemma and I need inputs from you guys especially clubfitter here in the forum.

There's more issues here that need to be identified and addressed...

First off, your swing speed is 94mph? You definitely need a soft flex shaft with a higher kick...your trajectory numbers 11-15 are those recommended for someone hitting 20 mph more than you...you need to get your launch angle up to the 14-17* level...assuming of course your I.S. is where I expect it to be. I'd also seriously recommend a higher loft head...around a 12* along with a properly fitted shaft should easily get you 20 more yards...easily.

Bag #1
DRIVER: TourSwing TVC 10.5*w/VooDoo
FW: Geek 15* w/Graman Limey
FW: TourSwing Thunder 19* w/Graman Limey
HYBRIDS: #4 #5 Alpha RX Low w/Graman LimeyIRONS: Nakashima NP-2 w/Accra i SeriesWEDGES: Same as abovePUTTER: Slighter Olympia #1

I owned both a R7 Draw R Shaft and a Superquad with Profoce V2 Stiff shaft this season. I have about the same swing speed as you. From my experience there was no real big difference in distance between the 2.

I agree with Jaybone.

If you've tried the SuperQuad and you know it works for you then why would you spend $150 on an experiment?

Thanks for the advice, guys. I was thinking the same thing. But I've heard before that properly fitted club will produce better result than buying off-the-rack club. Moreover, using my friend's r7 SuperQuad did give extra distance, however it is unpredictable on every other shot.

I still need some good opinions out there about real advantages of club fitment before I make a decision. Jaybone: Did your UST ProForce V2 felt too stiff for you? How much was the weight?
There's more issues here that need to be identified and addressed...

I see. But I don't think I'm going to get 12 deg of driver not because of my ego, but because I've been only playing a year and I think I still can improve somewhere along the way then I'd have to buy another driver. Besides getting the 12 deg driver and then reshaft it with softer flex and higher kick point means that I'll have to dig deeper for more money. I'd probably consider only for the shaft.

The question is, however, will it alter my shot pattern? Softer flex will result in too much bending of the shaft during downswing and before impact, which I honestly believe makes it harder to control.
What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

• 4 years later...

I'm reshafting my R7 460 with stock 65g remax stiff shaft because of balloning.  I am 6'4 and swing 105-110MPH and that shaft has too low of kick point and is to light.  I'm putting in Aldila NV 85g S and extending to 46" and jumbo sized grip with right hand part of grip built up for added feel.  Love the clubhead of R7 460 but shaft makes all the difference.  My recommendation is  to find the right shaft to go with the club head you are comfortable with.  Starting over is always more expensive.  I got my new shaft on E-Bay for $50 and it will cost $30 more to get grip and shaft on.  Not $150.  Just do your research on what your swing needs from a shaft.

I disagree about getting a higher degree.  94 MPH is a stiff shaft in my book.  Also you must pay attention to torque of club.  Too much torque can be inconsistent and also ballon ball.  Also it sounds like you are really coming over the top on downswing to promote that much side spin.  Shafts or clubheads will not correct that.  Maybe getting a little heavier shaft will help you feel the clubhead more.  70-75 gram shaft. Sometimes it is an experiment messing with shafts, but isn't also to buy a brand new club you have no idea how feels or performs on course?

Originally Posted by Dustin22

I'm reshafting my R7 460 with stock 65g remax stiff shaft because of balloning.  I am 6'4 and swing 105-110MPH and that shaft has too low of kick point and is to light.  I'm putting in Aldila NV 85g S and extending to 46" and jumbo sized grip with right hand part of grip built up for added feel.  Love the clubhead of R7 460 but shaft makes all the difference.  My recommendation is  to find the right shaft to go with the club head you are comfortable with.  Starting over is always more expensive.  I got my new shaft on E-Bay for $50 and it will cost $30 more to get grip and shaft on.  Not $150.  Just do your research on what your swing needs from a shaft.

I disagree about getting a higher degree.  94 MPH is a stiff shaft in my book.  Also you must pay attention to torque of club.  Too much torque can be inconsistent and also ballon ball.  Also it sounds like you are really coming over the top on downswing to promote that much side spin.  Shafts or clubheads will not correct that.  Maybe getting a little heavier shaft will help you feel the clubhead more.  70-75 gram shaft. Sometimes it is an experiment messing with shafts, but isn't also to buy a brand new club you have no idea how feels or performs on course?

Dude!  I am pretty sure he solved his ballooning issues a long time ago, LOL!!!  This thread you necro'd is almost 5 years old.  Also, just to add, if you go too heavy with the driver shaft,  you may have a problem detecting that there is even a head attached to the end of that stick, not the other way around, as you suggested.  94MPH might be stiff in your book, fortunately for the rest of us, your book will never be published....

Oh, and Welcome to The Sand Trap!  Be sure to head on over to the "Welcome, Everyone" thread.

Note: This thread is 4517 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!