IGNORED

My Swing (JaNiclas)

JaNiclas
Note: This thread is 3026 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Roger that. Looking forward to the updated FO. Keep working on what you're working on, too… one mistake too many people make is to move on too quickly to something else.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All day it was raining over here in Germany but thank god when I left uni it stopped. Usually its the other way round :P

So time for a quick training session.

I filmed both front and back. Unfortunately the angle of the back view is a little bit offline.

My goal is to really get a feel for the swing and to make it really smooth so it will be pressure resistent as well.

Although playing wise I really got it going, in some situation its getting to hectic and I tend to fall back into old patterns.

I guess to one point thats kind of normal and takes time on the other hand I want it as fast as possible what is also kind of normal for my personality :P

But I mean thats maybe the psychologic lesson I get for free :P 

@iacas

The thing what I really still want to improve is the release, I would love to hold the lag angle just a little longer but I don't get it.

Ok this early release and the overall picture of the swing yesterday didn't let me sleep well :P

so I went out into the rain and tried to grind it some more, and guess what I like the results, so good sleep tonight :P

Less early release,  follow through more fluent

Bad camera angle and as well slightly toe hit but more lag, and more fluent then yesterdays :D

Watch those hips on the backswing, they're swaying back a bit. Will also help you turn your hips more.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

More knowledgable members, any thoughts on the back knee through impact?  At second 6 in the last FO video, it looks pretty good, but maybe too much knee sway down the target line and not enough drive and extension (i.e. "jump" to straighter back knee right at impact)?

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

@mvmac cool, I will try that, hopefully again one of your very effective drills :) I guess, turning the hips more around with less sway will get me better to the target side as well.

@mdl du you mean more like a squat move? I guess I understand what you mean. 

The thing is, I don't want to have to many "construction sites" at once. I did quite a lot of changes in takeaway, plane and path in order to fight the pull recently. Plus I am trying to reduce the early release.

I guess I am only able to work on one, max two pieces at the time so I will try tighten these changes and try out the hip drill of mvmac. 

And when I got that right I will address the leg/knee movement.

Its definitely on the list, never ending story that golf swing :D But its awesome fun 

@JaNiclas, not trying to supplant current priority pieces.  Just a thing that caught my eye.  Compare yourself at the two positions Rory's in in the pics attached.  At ~A5, he's still "squatting" (is that what you were talking about), but by ~A7 he's "jumped", powering off his back foot and getting full back leg extension.  You're more swaying the knees through down the target line.  Still obviously better than not getting weight forward at all, but not quite where you want to be.

I'm probably biased towards noticing this because it's a struggle I have and see in my videos.

rory_A7.jpg

rory_A5.jpg

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

@mdl Yeah, I see your point and its a good one too. Thanks so much for your input :)

I just tried it a little and by straightening the back leg more pushes the rest of my lower body more actively towards the target. Quite I nice move indeed. But I guess in order to build that into my swing I really need to do all the other parts 100% naturally, so I can totally focus on it. At my point those pieces are still in the fine tuning category. 

Ok, this morning I tried the wall drill and hit some balls into the net and guess what @mvmac again a super good and easy drill which I guess really helps to get to my left side.

additionally I tried out to make my transition smoother and develop the feeling to start accelerating a little bit later in the downswing. 

I had the impression I was hitting it as good as never so I had to go to the range and check out the actual ball flight. It was crazy due to the smoother transition I got the feeling of swinging with less power in a better rhythm but still the ball went super long. I brought only my 5 iron, but that went carry to a flag which stands at about 175meter so 190 yards. Really crazy feeling since I did not have the feel to swing it hard.

55 minutes ago, JaNiclas said:

Ok, this morning I tried the wall drill and hit some balls into the net and guess what @mvmac again a super good and easy drill which I guess really helps to get to my left side.

Good, keep doing the drill and really utilize that feel when you hit balls.

I'd also like to see you bump your hips a little forward at address, create more "tilt" away from the target. Then turn your hips in place so that you maintain that angle. Basically more like the right pics and less like the left pics.

568fdd46daee3_jnick1.thumb.jpg.0a5f230b2568fdd4771226_jnick2.thumb.jpg.04336b063

Mike McLoughlin

@mvmac Wow cool, really nice comparison, I guess My upper body got a little bit more upright when I was trying to get my right shoulder a little bit more back as well. I probably need to develop the feeling of turning into my right side. Finally some new pieces  I can work on during the preparation of the season.

I really appreciate all your help, awesome! Thanks so much. 

2 minutes ago, JaNiclas said:

@mvmac Wow cool, really nice comparison, I guess My upper body got a little bit more upright when I was trying to get my right shoulder a little bit more back as well. I probably need to develop the feeling of turning into my right side. Finally some new pieces  I can work on during the preparation of the season.

I really appreciate all your help, awesome! Thanks so much. 

Recommend this drill to help. May feel like your chest is pointing towards the ground at the top of the backswing. Almost like you turn your hips but the upper body stays "flexed over". I'd film yourself rehearsing the movement to see how the picture changes.

Mike McLoughlin

@mvmac cool, perfect I will try it, but i guess I won't have much trouble with that position, because I think thats actually somewhat the position I was in before I tried to get my right shoulder turn more back But I will try the drill anyhow :)

So this happened today, got the feeling I am getting to the target site more easy and that contact improved quite a lot. Ballfight is still pretty neutral which is nice. Got a pretty descent feeling about the swing at the moment. 

But as usual, I am always open for drills or ways to improve :D

Thanks a lot for your help 

I figured out that in some shots my left arm had the tendance to do the chicken wing a little bit and on bad shots I recognized my upper body did not turn enough.

So In the past couple of sessions I started working on a more connected follow through and finish. now if I want to achievea descent finish I am forced to turn my upper body properly and my left arm is really staying close to my left side

Although I have the feeling that this new finish would make me shorter, if at all, the opposite is the case. It only feels shorter since its more compact but due to the compact follow through I feel more control over the ball and the ball contact is also a lot crisper.

Note: This thread is 3026 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!