IGNORED

My Swing (PatrickBateman)

PatrickBateman
Note: This thread is 3341 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

First off, that swing overall looks pretty good!

Before I start this advice part, I am not a golf teacher or pro, and I have not spent a long time studying swing flaws and fixes, everything is from my experience. The best advice I can give is if the problem persists and fixes don't do anything or make the swing worse, go to a pro for a quick lesson so they can see what is wrong with all their experience. But here is my two cents:

The big thing that stood out to me though was how much the lower body was moving back and forth especially near impact, and the off-balance finish. I used to have the same problem of almost rocking my lower body which not only cut back on power, but also made it very difficult to time the swing correctly. When the hips are moving so much, the swing becomes much more based on timing of hand rotation and in-part luck of where the club is because of the inconsistency of where the body is at impact. The best way I have found to fix that "swaying" is to slow down the swing. During practice sessions take 5 minutes and just go through the motions of your swing very slowly. Then, when you are actually swinging make sure that your swing is not rushed, speed is obviously important to hit the ball far, but rushing through the swing and firing your body through with no control will decrease power and accuracy. Sorry if that sounded a little mean/like I don't like your swing, they are just my suggestions. Otherwise, the takeaway and grip and everything else looked fine to me. Hope your swing gets back to being consistent and you start to bomb it straight again.

I would love to be more quiet with my lower body with the driver. The finish is completely off balance. I don't know why I still go so hard at it, distance has never been a problem and I much prefer playing off of the fairway :-\

Thanks for the advice and no need for an apology, I'm here to get better.

• Administrator

So lately I've been playing a local course a lot that is a par 3-4. I really haven't pulled my driver out a whole lot because I've been working on my long irons. I am now able to work the ball/do some things with my longer irons off the tee that I had previously not been able to do.

You should look at the third post in this thread.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I've been working on a few things recently so I figured I'd post them here for some thoughts/feedback.

Here I am working on holding my angle longer into impact and making sure I don't cast:

Here is a pic closer to impact:

Another thing I've been working on is that in an effort to keep my ball from going left I would "chicken wing" through impact. Here I am trying to have better extension:

One of the major things I have been working on is the club face at the top of the backswing, I previously had it completely shut, I've been trying to keep it more neutral...Here are some before and afters:

Before:

After:

Also in that last pic I think I am creeping toward that ideal spine angle that was discussed (or at least I hope)

I think there's a difference in this picture, mvmac what do you think?

Yeah that looks a lot better dude. Also make sure to turn that left foot out, will give the left knee more room to transfer forward.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Yeah that looks a lot better dude. Also make sure to turn that left foot out, will give the left knee more room to transfer forward.  [CONTENTEMBED=/t/78207/why-flaring-your-feet-at-address-makes-golf-easier layout=inline]​[/CONTENTEMBED]  [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/123241/] [/URL]

Wow I usually do, or at least I think I usually do. The camera doesn't lie though, have to remember to do that...that post is a good read by the way, thanks.

So I guess I decided to abandon my more efficient backswing/spine angle today at the range lol. The funny thing is that this was by far my best range session of the season so far, the worst that happened was the ball not turning on draws/fades and even then the result was not far off target. I do need to make sure my shoulders are in a better position at the top of the backswing though.

9 iron DTL:

5 iron DTL:

Yeah, more like the swing above and not the swing below.

Mike McLoughlin

Yeah, more like the swing above and not the swing below. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/123463/] [/URL]

Yeah, this is now at the top of my list since my grip seems to be taken care of. It's not engrained enough yet to the point of not really thinking about it.

Can I fix this problem at address with more tilt?

You fix it by turning your left shoulder and hip down longer on the backswing. More "teeter totter" with the shoulders on the backswing, make it feel uncomfortable in order to change it. Will help you not lose sight of the ball and limit how far back the arms can swing.

Mike McLoughlin

You fix it by turning your left shoulder and hip down longer on the backswing. More "teeter totter" with the shoulders on the backswing, make it feel uncomfortable in order to change it. Will help you not lose sight of the ball and limit how far back the arms can swing. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/123465/] [/URL]

I re-read what you initially posted about it. I really need to fix it because I see the correlation with my head coming up/down. I feel like when I have it fully ingrained it's going to make a big difference ball striking wise.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having some trouble maintaining my spine angle during the downswing. The problem is the typical lunge toward the ball instead of clearing my hips and staying "on the line" (pics below). I have looked up some videos and am having a hard time finding worthwhile drills for this. I've been standing in front of the mirror trying to bring my left back pocket "back" or in essence bumping my hips to initiate the downswing. I'm looking for some drills that will help me with this. Here are some pics to better illustrate what I am rambling about. The first two pics I managed to stay on the line but I kept taking videos until I lunged so I can show you guys.

Impact:

Post impact:

Here is where I leave the line and lunge toward the ball

Impact:

• Administrator

Even in the first pics I feel like my left side should kind of be crossing over the line

Have you cleaned up the backswing and made it second nature, or are you just trying to move on to something else that you see?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Have you cleaned up the backswing and made it second nature, or are you just trying to move on to something else that you see?

It's defintley not second nature yet but more often than not the swing is "shorter" because of how my shoulders are...when I draw a line on my head it's pretty much there until after impact, before I was raising out of my posture at the top of the swing which was addressed in this thread. Should I not move on until that is completley engrained?

Should I not move on until that is completley engrained?

Post a swing.

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 3341 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!