IGNORED

Who would you rather be?

Subaroozz
Note: This thread is 3279 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

The point that was made in a few previous posts is that all your clubs will be longer if your driver is longer. If a longer hitting player played on your home course, they would most likely tee off with irons and hybrids to get the same 220-240 yard tee shot on the fairway.

Understood.  I also understand iacas' contention that a longer hitter will also usually be a more accurate hitter, so it's not an either/or proposition.  I was responding solely in terms of how it was phrased in post #1 of the thread.  If we put a longer AND straighter (or equally straight) hitter into the mix, who WOULDN'T want to be him???

Ah, yes. Agreed 100%. I didn't understand your post well enough, sorry about that.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Same here. If we assume that he would be longer with all clubs (and more accurate) then there is no reason for the original question. Of course everyone would take 300 and 30 off with your driver (and 220-240 with a long iron) over 240 and straight with a driver. My comment about my home course was simply regarding the black and white original question with no assumptions or what that would look like in real life.

What this thread has boiled down to is "Would you rather be a better golfer or a worse golfer?" So maybe we should stipulate, for the sake of argument, than the 300 yd driver is a hot-head who can't dial it back and is unable to choose a different club if conditions warrant.

What this thread has boiled down to is "Would you rather be a better golfer or a worse golfer?" So maybe we should stipulate, for the sake of argument, than the 300 yd driver is a hot-head who can't dial it back and is unable to choose a different club if conditions warrant.

I don't really see it that way.  I don't know anyone who doesn't want to be a better golfer.  That simply means different things to different people.  If lack of distance is your issue, then that can be addressed, within certain limitations.  If every player was capable of hitting 300 yards, then there wouldn't be any middle tees.

Since it is not a possibility for some of us, and since for some of us, accuracy is a more pressing issue, working on ball striking is more of a priority.

This is where I see myself.  If better ball striking results in a bit more distance, great, but it won't be more than a minimal gain because my 68 year old body just doesn't flex like it once did.  I don't coil, I creak.  Joints pop and snap.  Nothing moves as fluidly as it once did.  But that doesn't mean that I can't work on accuracy, even if I am hitting a hybrid from 185 instead of a 6 iron.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 3279 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!