IGNORED

My Swing (mcl116)

mcl116
Note: This thread is 3057 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: On and off casually since I'm a kid.  Trying to get back into it but have really lost my swing so I've been working at the range to find it again.

My current handicap is:  N/A as I haven't played a round in a few years

My typical ball flight is:  high, to the right and occasionally sliced to the right

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Push/slice to the right

I have resorted to bringing the club back to parallel to the ground on takeaway and stopping at parallel on the follow through to slow the swing down and focus mostly on releasing the club.

But maybe there's something else going on?

These are the first full swings I have taken in a while.

Let me know guys - I'm dying to improve enough to get out on a course!

Videos:

Your head is moving a lot during your swing. Try to keep it more still. However, I don't think this is your major fix for the push/slice.

It also looks like you may be leaning quite a bit over the ball, instead of in a more athletic/balanced stance. It is hard to tell from this angle.

It would help to see what your swing looks like from behind.

Maybe some others can chime in on what else they see, because I am not very good at diagnosing the bad parts of a swing...

Think this would be a great drill for you to keep the head more steady.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 months later...

Been working really really hard this summer on getting my swing to a serviceable level.

Taken about 5 lessons:  Worked on my grip, shoulder turn, transitioning from my backswing and getting the club into a better inside slot.

I've made huge improvements from when I first started out this summer.

I've played a small par 3 out East on Long Island a couple of times and played a slightly longer Executive Course once.

Haven't kept score, just really focused on striking the ball well and tried to find a positive in even crappy shots (chipped it too far, putted it past the hole but may have read it well, whatever it was, hit it fat but it went straight)

I'm really enjoying working on my swing and seeing progress each time I go to the range or play.

I just played my first 18 at Van Cortland.

Didn't strike the ball as well as I would have liked to, and the driver was atrocious but I certainly made some nice shots and had fun and was able to laugh at the bad shots for most of the day.

I wound up shooting a lenient 105, which I'm quite happy with, although would have been more happy witha  higher score and more consistent ball striking.

But I am hooked!

Below are 2 videos from my round.

Looking for some help here so I can keep improving!!

I'm addicted haha

Cheers!

Huge improvement @mcl116 !

What are you current misses with irons and driver?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Driver I have to say I slice off way high and to the right.

On Saturday night I really worked on it and was starting to hit them pretty straight at the range for about 40-50 balls,focusing on letting my arms come through as my instructor said I had a tendency to rotate my body first, leaving my hands behind, leaving the face open and it was really working.

Was not able to replicate that on the course yesterday though, just laughed those off though.

Irons, I typically hit it with a slight fade or relatively straight when I'm striking it well.

If I'm not striking it so well, it's usually a large push, missing by about 20 yds maybe more to the right.

I can clearly see in my DTL shot that my clubface is open and I did push that shot about 25 yds to the right, but not sure why I can't square up.

Really enjoying working this stuff out though and seeing the improvement so looking forward to hearing back from you guys to get back out on the range and tuned up for an outting with my buddies this weekend!

@mcl116

Check out the screen shot below. Your right elbow is getting stuck behind your side. Adam Scott is on the right and see how his elbow is forward of his shirt seam. Yours is behind. This causes issues like OTT moves or even coming too inside as you recover to the ball.

Check out the video below.

Scott

My Swing Thread

It could. It happened to me.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Just to add to what @boogielicious said, watch a couple things with your posture. Your weight is back on your heels and the chin is up.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 3 weeks later...

Played 18 again today.

Had been hitting really well at the range lately but today was kind of rough.

Couldnt hit my driver for my life.

Hit a bunch of really solid 6 and 5 iron shots.

Around the green was brutal.

Topped and sliced off more shots than I think I should be at this point which was the most frustating.

This was one of my better shots, 7 iron about 170 on the back of the green.

But watching it frame by frame I still see a flip motion after impact and I never get my arms fully alextended, I imediately wrap around my body.  Also no divot.

What can I do to improve my swing?

Nothing?

Please show me some love here guys - I want to get to the range every day this week but it would be silly if I don't have anything to focus on.

I know I'm going to have a good time regardless at the outing but it'd be even better if I played well!

The addiction is real!

• Administrator

Nothing?

Please show me some love here guys - I want to get to the range every day this week but it would be silly if I don't have anything to focus on.

You've been given a few things to focus on. It's going to take time and a lot of effort to make the necessary changes. 

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 7 months later...
(edited)

Been working hard since April to get my swing in shape.

My goal for the season to be shooting between 90-95 consistently by my golf trip to Alabama in October.

I've been taking lessons and have improved on my posture, grip, hip movement.

I'm still very inconsistent overall and have an inconsistent ball flight.

Help a fellow addict out!

Thanks!

Edited by mcl116

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think I have that bit of tilt towards the target because at one point I had a lot of head movement and so started focusing on keeping it more steady.

Will definitely work on this.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Note: This thread is 3057 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!