IGNORED

My Swing (Buck Nutz)

Buck Nutz
Note: This thread is 3412 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 19ish years
My current handicap index or average score is: 10.3
My typical ball flight is: High, right to left
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Hard snap hooks with my woods. Directional inconsistency with mid- long irons.

Videos:

There doesn't appear to be any video

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There doesn't appear to be any video

Yes I know. I am having a hard time trying to get the video to link to my post. I have gotten my swing uploaded on you tube, and I could copy and paste the link but I can't get it to embed

Yes I know. I am having a hard time trying to get the video to link to my post. I have gotten my swing uploaded on you tube, and I could copy and paste the link but I can't get it to embed

Are you clicking the little film strip icon in the editor? That should bring up a pop box that you paste the URL into.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Just PM me the link and I can add it.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

[VIDEO][https://youtu.be/4nYxlJrC6gE] [VIDEO][https://youtu.be/sI018MKRHhQ] So just a few things I have found after filming my swing for the first time. I play the ball to far back in my stance. It is really pronounced with my driver which I will post a video of next. I also see my head changing planes and angles a lot more than what it feels. I strike my 8 iron pretty pure most of the time with a carry of 155-160. It is about the strongest club in my bag that I don't struggle with directional control. It goes pretty much where I am aiming. 7i on up, I feel like I put the same swing on it but I will pull/ push/ cut/ draw and it's frustrating.

Are you clicking the little film strip icon in the editor? That should bring up a pop box that you paste the URL into.

Thanks, I was clicking the film editor and it popped up two [Video] brackets and I wasn't sure what to do with that. I am not that tech savvy

It's much easier doing this from the desktop instead of the iPad...

So this is the first time getting my swing on film and studying it.  I am trying to eliminate the hard snap hook that I feel like happens when I start swinging around my body and letting my lower half clear and fly open.  I have started to try and get the driver on a more upright plane and it seems to have helped, even playing with a small cut which I don't mind at all.  One thing that I noticed it how far back in my stance the ball is.  It feels like it is off the front instep but clearly it is not.  Also, I my head changes planes and angles a bit more than it feels.  Let me know what you guys think!!

First thing I would do is....

The snap hooks are coming from the tailbone tucking under you too much on the downswing. Notice how vertical your torso is. This stalls the hips turn and causes you to swing outward too much with a face that's closing at a fast rate.

I'd recommend a couple drills. One of them to to hit balls with a stick just behind you, like the right pic above, and keep it close as you transfer forward and open. Could also do this at home against a wall.

Here's another good one

Mike McLoughlin

First thing I would do is....

That is very interesting.  Before this year I had always played with my feet squared to the ball.  Over the winter I read Hogan's book and worked a lot in the basement on the 5 lessons (before I found this site). In that time I worked on front foot flared with back foot squared. I went to the basement after seeing your reply and worked with both feet flared, something I will continue to work on.  I am much more free turning.  With the back foot square I could really feel the coil, which now I am not sure if it is a good or bad thing.  I am trying to figure out if feeling the coil tighten is a sign of power building or if it is the feeling of stressing joints and muscles that don't need stress.  I need to hit balls with the feet flared to see if I have lost distance but I can't imagine it would be much if any.

As far as keeping the stick or wall behind me, I see how I am losing the spine angle and lifting out of my stance.  When I put the stick behind me it seems I have to squat with butt out a little more at address.  Is that about right?

Thanks!!

As far as keeping the stick or wall behind me, I see how I am losing the spine angle and lifting out of my stance.  When I put the stick behind me it seems I have to squat with butt out a little more at address.  Is that about right?

No need to change address, just get the stick closer if you're not close enough to it at address.

Mike McLoughlin

No need to change address, just get the stick closer if you're not close enough to it at address.

So I had a nice SLOW session at the range today. Slow swing speed, slow moving between shots, just slow everything with the exception of when I started filming for time efficiency.  The flaring of the feet was an easy swing thought. After about 5 swings it went to the back of my mind because it was natural.  It really did take the stress off my knees, hips, and lower back with no drop in distance.  I really thought I was doing good working on the drill with the stick behind me, and I was hitting balls really well but then I get home and watch the video and it is hard for me to tell the difference.  I did feel like I was better rooted in the ground and wasn't lifting as much at contact.  I hit almost every club in the bag but hit 20 balls with my driver scattered around other clubs.  2/ 20 was a snap hook (much better percentage), but I felt them when they happened.  Whether it was lack of concentration on the lesson or just old habit, I could feel my right arm get stuck behind me and snap the hips to try and compensate (who knows if that is accurate but it is the feeling that I get). The other 18 were either dead straight or just a slight cut which I will take all day every day.

@mvmac let me know what you think, if this looks any better.  Like I said earlier, it feels better but I can't see a noticeable change!

So I had a nice SLOW session at the range today. Slow swing speed, slow moving between shots, just slow everything with the exception of when I started filming for time efficiency.  The flaring of the feet was an easy swing thought. After about 5 swings it went to the back of my mind because it was natural.  It really did take the stress off my knees, hips, and lower back with no drop in distance.  I really thought I was doing good working on the drill with the stick behind me, and I was hitting balls really well but then I get home and watch the video and it is hard for me to tell the difference.  I did feel like I was better rooted in the ground and wasn't lifting as much at contact.  I hit almost every club in the bag but hit 20 balls with my driver scattered around other clubs.  2/ 20 was a snap hook (much better percentage), but I felt them when they happened.  Whether it was lack of concentration on the lesson or just old habit, I could feel my right arm get stuck behind me and snap the hips to try and compensate (who knows if that is accurate but it is the feeling that I get). The other 18 were either dead straight or just a slight cut which I will take all day every day.

@mvmac let me know what you think, if this looks any better.  Like I said earlier, it feels better but I can't see a noticeable change!

Yep that's better. Note how the torso is more angled compared to the pic in your avatar. Would also recommend you work on the ankle/right heel not lifting piece. Nice work!

Mike McLoughlin

• Administrator

@mvmac let me know what you think, if this looks any better.  Like I said earlier, it feels better but I can't see a noticeable change!

Also make sure your camera angles stay consistent. Down the toe line, almost always… putting it farther to your left in the DL view will make it appear as if you've rotated more than you may have done.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3412 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!