IGNORED

Crap I cannot putt..

Finn07
Note: This thread is 6045 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Okay so the title says it all, I simply cannot putt right now. I dont know what it is but nothing is rolling right for me right now. I was "lights out" about two months ago for a string of about a month and a half but recently, damn. Nothings falling and my scores show for it.

Last two rounds shot 93 and 87, not like me at all. Im tinkering around 76-82 usually. What do you guys do when your in a putting funk? Ill try anything right now within reason of course. FWIW I dont feel like im doing anything different from a few months back and now. Just not getting good results.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

i've recently just started working with stan utley's putting curve and have found that has worked wonders for my putting. also i find somtimes when i change my gamer up for a round and go back to it it feels better.

driver: Burner TP 9.5 S
FWY Wood: 906F2 15.5*
hybrid: Idea Pro 18*
irons: MP-57 3-W
Wedges: X-Forged 56, 60 Putter: Anser Redwood Putter Black Series i #9

Start reviewing the basics.

First, I put the ball on a mirror laid on the ground to see if I'm still positioning myself above the ball.

2nd, I'll reference my head to something stationary, just touching, to see if my head is drifting during the stroke.

3rd, I put a straight edge down (board or something) to see if my stroke is still straight along the target line (thats my style, not the arc style).

Usually I find 1 or more of these 3 has broken down.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

After I drink about 3 glasses of Johnny Walker after a horrible putting round I reflect back and say OH F*K what a terrible round with the putter...

Then, I step away take a few days of practice off goto the course near my office and putt normal and then try something new!
ie: If I putt and miss and have anywhere from 5' in, I walk up lean over and putt it and it goes in!!! Totally untradional way of finishing, but I'm like 98.8% when it comes to just cleaning up...

anyways, I goto the green and do it see why I do it and then settle over the ball and putt short, mid, long and just try things till I feel comfortable.

That's me though...and I do like scotch.. or As Ron Burgundy would say: "I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly... "

WITB
What's in SiD's bag

Ogio Stand Bag
Driver
910D3 9.5 set to 8.5
907D2 9.5 VS Proto Stif

f3WoodCleveland XLS 15* Stiff

Irons TaylorMade Tour Preferred 4-9

Wedges Gun'd 48* & Vokey 58

Putter 34" XG #7

As said, check fundamentals: grip, alignment, etc. The key is to think that you are still going to make every putt (at least the short ones). Once you start questioning your stroke, you're all done. Focus on the process, not the result.

Joe McNulty

5SK™ Director of Instruction, Cape Cod, MA

Driver - D3 9.5

3-Wood - SQ 15

Hybrid - 17 Adams

4-PW - 714 AP2

50, 56 & 60 - Vokeys

Putter - Scotty

Ball - Pro V1x

This mindset has recently helped me, as I believe most putting problems originate in the head. Imagine you're about to hit a 10-foot putt (pretend it's dead straight). You've addressed the ball, aligned the putter and are about to make the stroke. Just then, someone holds a large posterboard in front of your head, blocking your view of the hole. Should it matter? No. You've GOT to trust your setup, your preparation and your stroke. I believe many problems are caused by lack of trust/confidence and subsequent manipulation of the putter. Trust yourself, putt confidently. You'll come around.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

This mindset has recently helped me, as I believe most putting problems originate in the head. Imagine you're about to hit a 10-foot putt (pretend it's dead straight). You've addressed the ball, aligned the putter and are about to make the stroke. Just then, someone holds a large posterboard in front of your head, blocking your view of the hole. Should it matter?

Very true.

Practice putting with your eyes closed. Helps feel, helps you trust your stroke and set up/alignment.

Eyes closed....Im gonna try that. Thanks. I just went to the putting green for about an hour with a different putter, one ive never used before. (Ping Anser, the old style one) Anyway Ive noticed that when I strike a putt I am basically hitting the top half of the ball with the bottom of the putter.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

You're a 7.6 index, dude, you can putt. Relax. Trust. Feel. Be Confident. This is not a stroke technique issue, though it's manifesting as one. Here's something to try:

Get a putting cup-type thing. Find some area to practice (putting green, living room, whatever) and stroke a few putts. Don't pick a target, pick a speed, and just get over the ball, get comfortable and stroke the putt. Make a note of where you stood/how you aligned, and go put the putting cup where those balls were rolling. Go back, and just make the same stroke, hopefully now finding that the balls are going in that cup.

Point is, once you've addressed the ball, aligned yourself and calibrated your head to say "hit it X hard," the destination of the ball is now determined. Might as well forget where the cup is, but your head MUST be confident that the ball is headed to the cup. This drill puts the cart before the horse, it puts the target where the ball is going. When you've shaken the tension, then pick a new target/speed and have confidence making the appropriate stroke.

BTW, I just came up with the idea for this drill, so if it sucks, forgive me - sounded good in my head!

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

I am currently a PGA apprentice and what I do with people who are having trouble putting is, try putting two tees on the ground that is just outside the length of your putter head. Place the ball in the middle of the tees. Put them about five feet from the hole, practice with just your right hand, then your left then both. If you hit the tees you know your stroke is off a little. Remeber putting is all shoulders, if you watch the pros, they are very steady, but most of us arn't pros. Try not to switch up your putting just because your putting bad. Jack Nicklaus said if he could putt on his head and make them he would.

Good luck and make those putts.

Note: This thread is 6045 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!