IGNORED

New Golf Grips. Talk to Me

I feel that the stock grips on my Wilson D9's are a little thin.  The grips on my other clubs (purchased used online and sold by me a couple months ago) were Golf Pride and they looked like the wrapped version.  I will say they felt like they had a little more cushion.  I don't have particularly large hands.  Did the grips on my other clubs have more tape or was just a better feeling softer grip?  I have no idea.  Well, any brands you would recommend that have a softer feel? 

BAG:  :cleveland:

DRIVER:  :tmade: Aeroburner Black Head 12.5*

WOODS:  :adams:  Tight Lies 5W & :wilson: Launch Pad 2 7W

HYBRIDS:  :adams: IDEA SUPER S VST 5H

IRONS:  :wilsonstaff: D9 (5-GW)

PUTTER:  :odyssey: Dual Force 550

1 hour ago, collegefbfan said:

I feel that the stock grips on my Wilson D9's are a little thin.  The grips on my other clubs (purchased used online and sold by me a couple months ago) were Golf Pride and they looked like the wrapped version.  I will say they felt like they had a little more cushion.  I don't have particularly large hands.  Did the grips on my other clubs have more tape or was just a better feeling softer grip?  I have no idea.  Well, any brands you would recommend that have a softer feel? 

I had the D-9's a while back, thought the stock Wilson grips were rubbish.  I put Pure grips on them. Pure is now out of business but available on Golfworks.  Currently some colors in stock as of today.

PURE Golf's tackiest grip, the Wrap features a perforated wrap design and is ideal for golfers that prefer a slightly softer, more muted feel at impact.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 Fairway  :titleist: TSR 4 Hy. T-300 5-PW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:scotty_cameron: Newport Select 2 (2022 model) 

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

Best grip I have played. The upper part is rougher as it is in contact with your glove. Very durable

image.png

Edited by Carl3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/5/2024 at 9:27 AM, snapfade said:

I had the D-9's a while back, thought the stock Wilson grips were rubbish.  I put Pure grips on them. Pure is now out of business but available on Golfworks.  Currently some colors in stock as of today.

PURE Golf's tackiest grip, the Wrap features a perforated wrap design and is ideal for golfers that prefer a slightly softer, more muted feel at impact.

You can still find a lot of Pure grips on ebay too.

@snapfadeDo you ever get blisters on the hand you do not wear a glove on from using the Pure Wrap grips? I put these on my wedges and ended up with a blister on my right thumb. Can't say for sure it was from these, but it happened at the range after I spent a lot of time hitting my wedges.
I do like these grips a lot, but I think I prefer their DTX's much more. I love that extra texture.

Edited by retoid

Novice golfer seeking to learn and improve.

On 5/5/2024 at 11:05 AM, collegefbfan said:

The GP's sound like they are their "Tour Wrap" grips - have them on a number of my used sets.  I don't have large hands but have found that midsize grips at my age (soon to be 65) really fit the bill.  I've played Winn Dri Tac's, Tacki Macks, GP Tour Velvets among others.  These days its more the GP Tour Velvet mdi-size grips.  The best thing to do is hit up your local pro-shop or big store like Dicks/Golf Galaxy and test fit the grips.  Then you can figure what works best for how they feel in your hands.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

1 hour ago, retoid said:

You can still find a lot of Pure grips on ebay too.

@snapfadeDo you ever get blisters on the hand you do not wear a glove on from using the Pure Wrap grips? I put these on my wedges and ended up with a blister on my right thumb. Can't say for sure it was from these, but it happened at the range after I spent a lot of time hitting my wedges.
I do like these grips a lot, but I think I prefer their DTX's much more. I love that extra texture.

no blister

• Thumbs Up 1

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 Fairway  :titleist: TSR 4 Hy. T-300 5-PW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:scotty_cameron: Newport Select 2 (2022 model) 

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

Many thanks for the replies.  I have a lesson in about two weeks.  I am going to ask the instructor what he recommends.  I remember thinking the grips on my old AP1's (bought used) felt a lot better.  Old grips: IMG_1551.thumb.jpg.edce90788d76ba880c72cecebd11b2d8.jpg 

10 hours ago, collegefbfan said:

Many thanks for the replies.  I have a lesson in about two weeks.  I am going to ask the instructor what he recommends.  I remember thinking the grips on my old AP1's (bought used) felt a lot better.  Old grips: IMG_1551.thumb.jpg.edce90788d76ba880c72cecebd11b2d8.jpg 

That’s a Golf Pride Tour Wrap grip.  They’re relatively soft, absorb shock well, and feel pretty good.  The con on them is they feel kind of dusty, for lack of a better word, after a few holes unless you bring a damp towel and keep them wiped down.  

On 5/5/2024 at 6:27 PM, snapfade said:

Are there any alternatives to the kind of grips from PURE? I still got them on mine and it’s too bad they are out of business, I really love the grips. Perhaps I should buy some before they are out of stock.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I'm a little late here, but I've been using Iomic grips for 12 or 15 years.  The last a long time, and stay really "grippy" for their entire life.  I prefer the X-Evolution, the texturing feels right to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

36 minutes ago, Zeph said:

Are there any alternatives to the kind of grips from PURE? I still got them on mine and it’s too bad they are out of business, I really love the grips. Perhaps I should buy some before they are out of stock.

I think in the Pure grips thread, there was another company mentioned that had similar product (Star maybe)

• Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

PURE gripzzz FTMFW!!

The GP New Decade Multi Compound is so overrated, yeah sure it's great if you're a pro and get new grips every other week, they wear out so fast

• Thumbs Up 2

Colin P.

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

PURE gripzzz FTMFW!!

The GP New Decade Multi Compound is so overrated, yeah sure it's great if you're a pro and get new grips every other week, they wear out so fast

100% agree.  A few rounds in humid weather and they feel like plastic.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I watched a video of a guy building some irons for a customer.  He wanted PURE grips on them.  They have a nice selection.  I was hoping to stay around the $8-$9 per club for all irons and wedges.  My son and daughter might be giving them to me for Father's Day.  I don't wanna be like, hey just buy me these that are like $12 per grip.  Something a little soft, little bit of cushion, and some tackiness.  I just wanted to get some ideas.  Many thanks.

30 minutes ago, collegefbfan said:

Yeah, I watched a video of a guy building some irons for a customer.  He wanted PURE grips on them.  They have a nice selection.  I was hoping to stay around the $8-$9 per club for all irons and wedges.  My son and daughter might be giving them to me for Father's Day.  I don't wanna be like, hey just buy me these that are like $12 per grip.  Something a little soft, little bit of cushion, and some tackiness.  I just wanted to get some ideas.  Many thanks.

The thing about PURE grips is that they last forever and feel the same as the day you bought them when you wash them with Dawn.

I like the DTX midsize personally. Great combination of texture and grip

Colin P.

7 hours ago, colin007 said:

I like the DTX midsize personally.

Those are my favorites too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave