IGNORED

My Swing (Depleted)

Depleted
Note: This thread is 3221 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: on off three years, less than five rounds a year, practicing more now My current handicap index or average score is: can't score lower than 120, 107 once My typical ball flight is: Lewish The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: duffs, shanks, anything which doesn't go straighten/up! [rule] Videos: Hi all, Vid of three, or is it two, 9i below. My swing is pretty terrible on the way down and I know I lift too much.backswing is ok I guess but could be better.any suggestions of any drills? When I go to the range,my first few hits are great but I always have a patch where I will shank, duff, top shots ball after ball until I hit one good one again. Anybody see anything which could be causing this in the swings below? I also know that I choke down quite a bit, not even sure how I developed that. And my posture is a bit funny, but it seems to kinda work![VIDEO]https://youtu.be/k2Udjoay9iw[/VIDEO] Thanks

no face on for now unfortunately, the bays aren't too big and because I'm in the middle of london I dont have a garden to practice in. I'll see what i can do next time though

Ok try to film a face on swing when you can. Looks like your hips may be shifting back, just want to check.

In the meantime I'd work on getting your weight and hips more forward on the downswing.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ok try to film a face on swing when you can. Looks like your hips may be shifting back, just want to check. [COLOR=181818]In the meantime I'd work on getting your weight and hips more forward on the downswing.[/COLOR] [COLOR=181818] [/COLOR] [COLOR=181818] [/COLOR]

Thanks mvmac,I actually found this from a round I played a month ago but unfortunately I'm missing the first part of the backswing. I'm going to try go to the range tomorrow and try get a front view of a few swings [VIDEO]https://youtu.be/dth3pAAX-Zs[/VIDEO]

Here's a proper sided on video I took today - turns out there's enough room in a bay!

The first shot was a top/duff (i cant remember which but my reaction says it all!) while the second was a straight shot.

Both shots were with a 7i

Couple good videos for you to check out on keeping your head more steady. Another important piece for hitting the ball solid.

Mike McLoughlin

It looks like you're doing some great progress! :) I don't mean to hijack the thread, but Mike Boatright, someone like John Daly doesn't 'look' incredibly athletic, but I'd say he did all right for himself. I would just throw in the caveat that buying a particular flex and expensive set of super game improvement irons 'just because' is a very bad idea. You should get fit for your clubs, and at the very list not buy completely haphazardly! Oh, and depleted, you are miles more athletic than I am, and I still do all right too. : )

Andrew M.

Couple good videos for you to check out on keeping your head more steady. Another important piece for hitting the ball solid.

Thanks for these videos Mvmac. Went to the range today and focused on keeping my head still - or more still than it used to be. Feels a lot  more "restrictive" but I guess that's natural since I was all over the place before.

I find that doing this I tend to pull the ball left a lot, if I don't focus on hinging my wrist in the shoulder rotation up, part of the backswing. Also a lot of duffs with my 5i, but I guess it's all part of incorporating something new into your swing.  I did find though that if I did connet well with the ball, it went a lot higher than it used to.

Here's a video of a 7i shot. I think I'm moving right, to compensate, but I feel i'm a lot more stable now.

Went to the range today and focused on keeping my head still - or more still than it used to be. Feels a lot  more "restrictive" but I guess that's natural since I was all over the place before.

Yup, you got it right, feeling different is a good thing. It means you're doing it differently. If it felt like it was normal, you'd still be doing it wrong ;-)

I find that doing this I tend to pull the ball left a lot, if I don't focus on hinging my wrist in the shoulder rotation up, part of the backswing. Also a lot of duffs with my 5i, but I guess it's all part of incorporating something new into your swing.  I did find though that if I did connet well with the ball, it went a lot higher than it used to.

Yea, your ballflight is going to be different and you may hit some really awful shots as you work through removing old compensations, but it sounds like you have a pretty good handle on expectations.

Here's a video of a 7i shot. I think I'm moving right, to compensate, but I feel i'm a lot more stable now.

Great work! The change is like night and day. I'm not sure what you mean about you moving to the right, but it looks good to me. Keep doing it until it becomes natural and you don't have to think about it anymore.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Thanks for these videos Mvmac. Went to the range today and focused on keeping my head still - or more still than it used to be. Feels a lot  more "restrictive" but I guess that's natural since I was all over the place before.

You just need to turn your torso more as you keep your head steady, that'll reduce the pulls.

Mike McLoughlin

You just need to turn your torso more as you keep your head steady, that'll reduce the pulls.

Got it, I just tried a few practice swings without a club and felt a greater stretch down my right side, is this what I should be feeling? I was also just wondering how my overall swing looks? It looks a bit funny to me but I can't quite figure out why... It's just always looked a bit erratic to me but was never sure if it was just a timing thing or if I was doing something fundamentally wrong.

Got it, I just tried a few practice swings without a club and felt a greater stretch down my right side, is this what I should be feeling?

Yeah keep moving your right hip up and around, throughout the entire backswing.

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 3221 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!