IGNORED

After a little less loft on wedges...

Miney
Note: This thread is 6030 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi again all.
Obvioulsy im not the best golfer in the world with a 30 handicap but im trying...
I have been constantly getting wayy to much height and a fair bit of grass with both my PW and SW. However, the grass as i have found is coming out from infront of the ball which as i am lead to believe, is a good thing. Now, at times i almost play a flop shot with my PW..It rises 30 or so Metres and drops down 15metres in front of me...
I was wondering whether there was any tips out there that could help me out...I am losing a lot of distance because of this so am just looking to flatten it out a bit and hence gain the more distance..

I hope you understand..

Thanks in advance

P.S. I have tried tilting the club forward a little to attempt to flatten out the loft of the club but without results. I think personally that my problem might lie in my swing. Perhaps it's too vertical and therefore im not getting to the full stage before contacting with the ball...My thoughts anyway..

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

Home Course: Gawler Golf Club
Glove: Nike Tech Feel
Balls: Nike Power Flight

When you tilt the club head forward, is this accompanied by a weight shift forward? And does that weight stay in front of the ball throughout the swing?

You might try moving the ball back farther in your stance as this will help make sure that your clubface is flattened out and help keep your weight ahead of the ball.

Of course, the best advice would be to go to a pro or have a video made of your swing and have it examined by a pro, but I hope my tips help.

What's in my cart and stand bag:
Driver: C4 9* Stiff
R7 425 9* Stiff
Wood: Redline 15* Regular
Hybrids: Idea 17* and 21* RegularIrons: Idea 5-9, incl PW and SW RegularPutter: Rossa Monza Corza and Rossa Lambeau 2 ball bladeBalls: Any. Find many, lose a few

Yeah that i think is what is causing me to lose a fair bit of distance on my other clubs...I havnt quite got the weight-transfer 100% as yet. But thats a whole other story. Perhaps i should start by perfecting that..

Your input is greatly appreciated.

I've found wedge shots to be very sensitive to ball placement at address. As a righty, placing the ball closer to my right foot de-lofts it with a low trajectory and more distance; left foot and I'll get the high trajectory, shorter distance and maybe some back spin. And of course my lie will have a big impact too. I spend quite a bit of time practicing this.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

sounds like your way to steep with your swing. the divot should be shallow if at all and in front of the ball. Most shots do not require you to have a steep swing. Why would you want a flop shot with a pitching wedge?

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

Try to get the feeling of hitting the ball with the back of your left hand without it breaking down (ie keep the angle constant with your wristbone leading).

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

i am far from an expert on this but could it be a wrist issue. perhaps he is using too much wrists and flopping the ball into the air. ive seen many players with this habit. it is hard to get people to understand that wedges have enough loft, you usually dont need to help them. (unless you want to open up your 60 degree wide open and have some fun. hahaha )

toby
in my bag:
driver: titleist D1 9.5 stiff3 & 5 wood: taylormade burner stiffhybrid: taylormade rescue mid 21 stiffirons: mizuno mp-60 4 thru pwwedges: cleveland cg 10's (52,56,60)putter: scotty cameron Newport 2 (35 inch)balls: titleist pro v1 (how do you...

i am far from an expert on this but could it be a wrist issue. perhaps he is using too much wrists and flopping the ball into the air. ive seen many players with this habit. it is hard to get people to understand that wedges have enough loft, you usually dont need to help them.

Good point, but a lot of times a flip of the wrists at the ball like that wont produce a divot.

Driver - TaylorMade R9 460 10.5°
3 Wood - TaylotMade Burner Tour
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

Pics and vids would be helpful.

From the sounds of it you are not getting on top of the ball enough, on your downswing your body should move laterally towards the target a feeling i use to represent this is when my down swing is at waist height i want too feel my weight is on the inside of my left thigh (right handed swing), from that position you can really crunch the ball and achieve the penetrating ball flight you want.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

sounds like your way to steep with your swing. the divot should be shallow if at all and in front of the ball. Most shots do not require you to have a steep swing. Why would you want a flop shot with a pitching wedge?

I dont, that's my problem.

________________________________________________________________ Thankyou to the rest of the helpful comments. I think that perhaps i am using a bit to much wrist along with hitting up on the ball. I can feel my body lifting it up as such which is obvioulsy causing the unbearable height.

Sounds like a weight shift problem. You are not transferring your weight to your front foot. That is why you feel your body lifting up and wthcing your ball go really high. You might want to try placing more weight on your left side at address (soemthing like a 60:40 ratio).
In my bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad
Woods: RPM LP 3W & 5W
Irons: MX-25 4-SWPutter: Detour

Try to get the feeling of hitting the ball with the back of your left hand without it breaking down (ie keep the angle constant with your wristbone leading).

And keep your weight mostly on your lead foot. Over exagerate the next time you are at the range and you will feel a difference.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Note: This thread is 6030 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!