IGNORED

clubhead lag and release

Note: This thread is 6026 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

which arm/wrist is responsible for generating club head lag and which is responsible for releasing the club?

Driver: r7 460 10.5*
3 Wood: Launcher Steel 15*
Hybrid: HALO 3i 22*
Irons: X-20 Tour 3-PW
Wedge: RAC Chrome 56*/12*Putter: White Steel 2-Ball Blade

use your left arm to release the club and as far as lag does im not positive which is more responsible but i think its mutual between the hands.

Driver: Taylor Made Burner 9.5*
Woods: Callaway X 3 Wood 15*
Hybrids: Callaway X 2 Hybrid 18*
Irons: Callaway X Forged (3-9)
Wedges: Callaway X Tour 54*Wedges: Callaway Forged+ (52*, 56*)Putter: Heavy PutterBall: Callaway HX Tour

In terms of a player of your ability, lag will simply mean keeping the wrists cocked in the downswing until the last possible moment where you release the club as fast as you can.

In terms of the release if you were a right handed player the feeling would be that your right hand dominates the release of the club head, feeling that through impact you are pointing the toe of the club face steeper towards the ground (if this makes no sense to you, pick up a club, address the ball and with your right hand feel that your point the toe of the club head towards the floor, and you will notice how the club face takes a slightly closed position).

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Neither arm/wrist is responsible for lag. As Jay_B said, as long as you don't cast, release early, or do anything else stupid with you hands, you will be able to maintain wrist cock all the way down to where the club is parallel to the ground. From there your right hand fires through (for a rh player). If don't properly, this is what gets the club swinging back inside on the follow-through.

The one key is not to let the left wrist break down. If you're getting flippy, you have a major flaw.

As Hogan said, coming through impact he wished he had three right hands to pour on the power.

Joe McNulty

5SK™ Director of Instruction, Cape Cod, MA

Driver - D3 9.5

3-Wood - SQ 15

Hybrid - 17 Adams

4-PW - 714 AP2

50, 56 & 60 - Vokeys

Putter - Scotty

Ball - Pro V1x

the pro that gave me lessons always taught me that the left arm rotated for the release and the right was rolled because of the left. he could, of course, had been wrong or i miss interpreted it.

Driver: Taylor Made Burner 9.5*
Woods: Callaway X 3 Wood 15*
Hybrids: Callaway X 2 Hybrid 18*
Irons: Callaway X Forged (3-9)
Wedges: Callaway X Tour 54*Wedges: Callaway Forged+ (52*, 56*)Putter: Heavy PutterBall: Callaway HX Tour

as long as you start your downswing, by dropping your hands, good lag should come naturally. where lots of guys get in trouble is that they try to force lag and become very wristy

What's in the bag:

Driver: Adams 9064LS (project RIP Shaft) 9.5 degree
3 Wood: Titleist 909R 14.5 degree
Hybrid 3-iron: 19 degree Tour Professional (bent to 18 degrees)Hybrid 4-iron: 21 degree Tour ProfessionalIrons: Tour X-20 5-PW Project X 6.0 shaftsGap Wedge: Mizuno MP10 52.08 Sand Wedge: Mizuno MP10 58.10 Lob Wedge: Nike 62.06

Note: This thread is 6026 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!